Sign in to follow this  
Goodreau

Gold plating

Goodreau

Can anyone give me feedback about the gold plating on the watches that I've been seeing? Does anyone know approximately how long the gold plating lasts until it starts to show signs of SS under the plating?

Luthier

Depend how often you wear your watch. I have tons of goldplated watches for 4-5 years, no any sign of SS.

Goodreau

Depend how often you wear your watch. I have tons of goldplated watches for 4-5 years, no any sign of SS.

Wow that's really good! Say I wore it at all times aside from showering and sleeping / swimming?

DKaiser Söze

Can anyone give me feedback about the gold plating on the watches that I've been seeing? Does anyone know approximately how long the gold plating lasts until it starts to show signs of SS under the plating?

You're gonna have to do the research. I think Luth's are wrapped gold plating wich is supposed to be better, I think. LoL

YoungGPS

IMO the weather will also be a factor specially if your acidic.

10:10 Watch Repair

do the math:

tons of watches ÷ 2 wrists, how many does he wear day in day out?

Goodreau

You're gonna have to do the research. I think Luth's are wrapped gold plating wich is supposed to be better, I think. LoL

Yeah I'll definately give this a go, thanks!

Isn't acid rain mainly down south? I live in MA.

do the math:

Well I'm not looking for any exact info just estimates really. :)

Edited by Goodreau

Luthier

I have a few gold wrapped, yes, but most are goldplated.

:rofl: @Chris.

DKaiser Söze

do the math:

Well, Mary's TT is supposed to be triple wrapped I believe. The watch is $300 and change. If you do wear this one out, it won't be a big deal to replace a number of years down the road

Goodreau

do the math:

Well, Mary's TT is supposed to be triple wrapped I believe. The watch is $300 and change. If you do wear this one out, it won't be a big deal to replace a number of years down the road

Triple wrapped? Wow! I'm comfortable spending a few hundred dollars on a TT sub if the plated gold lasts me a few years. I'd like it to last more but hell, you can't expect genuine results from a replica.

You know.. this has me thinking. Wouldn't it be more efficient to replace the bracelet and the bezel years down the road rather than the whole watch itself? Shit, a nice replica bezel and bracelet shouldn't cost more than $50 USD?

Edited by Goodreau

DKaiser Söze

You'll figure it out. Just use your search function on this site. You should consider yourself blessed to have found this site. I know it has been a blessing for me!

myaz

look at the price difference between SS and gold plated. Conclusion: the gold is microns thick.

How long does that last? Forever if you don't wear it and about a day if you have it on being dragged across the pen while roping cattle.

But seriously, if you're a careful sort and it stays under a sleeve most of the time, it'll be fine.

Goodreau

If anyone else is interested. I googled the difference between gold plating and gold wrapped.

"In the United States, at least, there are legal definitions of "Gold plating" and the plating has to meet the legal definition before it can be called "gold plated" despite the fact that the coating process is "gold plating". So manufacturers of cheap items will apply a "flash" of gold (the minimum amount that will give a uniform gold color) and they use inventive phrases for the coating. I've often heard, "layered in genuine 18K gold", and "a genuine 18K gold finish". When you hear these inventive phrases then you know it does not meet the legal minimum for gold plating.

If my memory serves me right then gold plating has a minimum plating thickness of .0003" (three tenths of a thousandth).

"Gold filled" means that 1/20th of the total weight of the item is gold. You won't find that on a watch, but you will find in better costume jewelery.

30 years ago I got a fake Rolex and the gold plating wore off in a matter of months. That was certainly "flash gold". Gold is a very soft metal and I don't know what thickness would be required to give good service on a watch (and there is no reasonable way the consumer can check the thickness either). Personally the only gold watch I own is a genuine. The rest are stainless, but I'm thinking of getting a titanium one soon.

Just a guess, but "wrapped" in gold sounds very much like advertising wording for flash gold."

Luthier

Gosh, mate, make up your mind and order something, finally!!!

This topic was debated 12,948 times here, do we need it once again???

Google... gosh...

:picard:

Goodreau

Gosh, mate, make up your mind and order something, finally!!!

This topic was debated 12,948 times here, do we need it once again???

Google... gosh...

:picard:

I know man, I know haha.

DKaiser Söze

You can debate this with yourself all you want. Read the watch reviews on this site.

But I've done the work already and told you. that was sub I was looking for when I came to the forum. The best rep of this sub is The BK WM9 TT Sub. They are so good that they are impossible to find because they were limited.

The best mass produced TT with Blue dial is the one Mary has.

You gotta remember that you are buying reps at a small fraction of the Gen price. Maybe if you are that particular, you should buy the gen because the rep game may not be for you. Good luck.