Luthier

Swiss ETA vs. 21j

Luthier

Anyone compared power reserve and timing of swiss 2836-2 and Asian 21j?

Tested watches:

Sub with swiss 2836-2

YM with Asian 21j.

50 turns of crown.

Time start - midnignt sharp.

Let's see timing and power reserve.

greg_r

it varies so much from one 21J to the next, there's no valuable data to be gained here.

One of my 21Js has only around 12 hours power reserve. My cheapie day/date (I have two) nearly 40, which is more than the older, more expensive day/date. My SDDS is about 35 hours. Others are somewhere in the middle *shrug*

Luthier
it varies so much from one 21J to the next, there's no valuable data to be gained here.

One of my 21Js has only around 12 hours power reserve. My cheapie day/date (I have two) nearly 40, which is more than the older, more expensive day/date. My SDDS is about 35 hours. Others are somewhere in the middle *shrug*

I know that old 21j were crap, but new are quite good, so, I'm testing 2008 21j.

We'll see. I'm more interested in timing.

greg_r

The real problem - as with rep watches in general is QC. If you get a good one, the 21J can be an excellent movement. Then you get the ones like Oscar's recent Tag, which run two hours fast....

If the Chinese would only get their QC act together, they could give ETA a run for their money...

JohnG
The real problem - as with rep watches in general is QC. If you get a good one, the 21J can be an excellent movement. Then you get the ones like Oscar's recent Tag, which run two hours fast....

TWO HOURS?

Wow, that is pretty radical.

AllergyDoc

I think 21J watches are getting worse.

JohnG
I think 21J watches are getting worse.

They used to gain less than two hours a day?

AllergyDoc

I had a long detailed answer planned, but I lost interest after the 2nd sentence. Figured if it bored me, it'd bore everyone.

JohnG
I had a long detailed answer planned, but I lost interest after the 2nd sentence. Figured if it bored me, it'd bore everyone.

I am sure it would have been great. And the point would have been that the 21j's are getting worse... I CAN READ MINDS!!!

AllergyDoc

Actually, I feel I'm repeating myself on the boards now.

Actually, I feel I'm repeating myself on the boards now.

Stop me if you've heard this story...

Ya'll are like my kids. They have to hear the same old stories over-and-over. They're just too polite (and, hopefully, respectful) to say, "YOU'VE ALREADY TOLD US THAT STORY 10 TIMES, DAD!"

Luthier

I am sure it would have been great. And the point would have been that the 21j's are getting worse... I CAN READ MINDS!!!

I wouldn't say so.

Midnight again at my place, and in 24 hours time ETA get faster than control quartz watch on 4 seconds, and 21J - on 6 seconds.Third testing watch - VC from 2003 get faster on 24 seconds.

Go figure.

All 3 watches still ticking.

Let's see power reserve.

bme

I wouldn't say so.

Midnight again at my place, and in 24 hours time ETA get faster than control quartz watch on 4 seconds, and 21J - on 6 seconds.Third testing watch - VC from 2003 get faster on 24 seconds.

Go figure.

Let's see power reserve.

Can't wait for the results.

:lol:

trailboss99

Ya, 6sec a day is about right for 21J. We got mine down to 'round that with patiance. My WM is waiting with baited breth for me to supply him with a CN ETA clone watch to play with. Based on the 21J (which aperantly, actualy has 22J ) he sees no reason it won't keep COSOC time. I don't know the power reserve 'cause it's never been off my wrist long enough to run down. It lives there execpt for dress occasians. 34hrs plus is the best I can provide.

Col.

Luthier

OK, 4pm here, it mean 40 hours after I started test.

ETA - +3 seconds

2008 21J - +5 seconds

2003 21J - -12 seconds.

JohnG

bme, you catch that?

Luthier

ETA power reserve- 42 hours, 14 min. 46 sec.

Both 21J still running.

AllergyDoc

Hey, this is kind of like Meat's thread on his LV Sub. He updated us time-to-time about his "noob" Sub from Josh.

I find that my ETAs (hopefully they're Swiss ETAs) have a bigger power reserve.

Luthier

21J from year 2003 power reserve - 45 hours, 30 min., 36 sec.

21J 2008 still running.

Luthier

21J 2008 power reserve - 47 hours, 16 min., 35 sec.

bme

Fuck me this is interesting stuff.

greg_r

I haven't had this much excitement since my grandma got stuck in a lift....

Luthier
I haven't had this much excitement since my grandma got stuck in a lift....

You can mock as much as you want, but to me (don't forget - I'l still a noob) it was interesting.Anyway, I'm packing my lil suitcase and heading to airport tomorrow.

Fuckations time!

Christmas in HK, then New Year in China, B/Day in Phuket, (scubaaaa!!!), then a week in Hokkaido, skiing.

Wish a Merry Christmas to all of you, and a Happy New Year!

TTL.

JohnG

Fuck me this is interesting stuff.

Yeah, but I want him to do this ten times and take the average. That would be more accurate...

greg_r
Christmas in HK, then New Year in China, B/Day in Phuket, (scubaaaa!!!), then a week in Hokkaido, skiing.

TTL.

LOL

Have a great Christmas, Luthier! :lol:

AllergyDoc
You can mock as much as you want, but to me (don't forget - I'l still a noob) it was interesting.Anyway, I'm packing my lil suitcase and heading to airport tomorrow.

Fuckations time!

TTL.

Sounds like you've got a great trip planned, Luthier! Enjoy!