Sign in to follow this  
DannyBoy818

Blue Tint on the glass...?

DannyBoy818

If you see a little blue tint on the glass in certain angles. Could it still be sapphire glass? Or is it mineral? Is there anyway to get rid of the blue? With AR coating or something like that? If so do you know who and how much would that run? Or is it even worth trying to get rid of the blue?

Balad1

I believe the blue tint is in fact the AR coating.

Someone who is more knowledgeable will confirm or not.

nunu78
I believe the blue tint is in fact the AR coating.

Someone who is more knowledgeable will confirm or not.

+1

mostling

Yup, the blue tint is slightly colored AR.

DannyBoy818

Thanks guys sorry for posting. I done some research and reading it from other threads now. But none says if its sapphire or mineral. Im unsure if my watch my gf bought me is sapphire or mineral. I dont want to take off the AR and find out its mineral and my glass is all messed up. Sigh...is there anyway to test if its sapphire or mineral?

WebWind

I am afraid that blue tint you see from certain angles is AR coating ;)

EDIT: Slow I am :yoda:

DannyBoy818

Thanks guys. So if my new rep panerai has a bluish tint i should get rid of it? From my knowledge gen pams dont have the blue tint. I know it annoys most people with the blue tint. But in some model of watches its ok. But on a pam....? any opinions?

Luthier

AR could be absolutely colorless, or slightly blueish. If you don't like it, you can easily to take off with Cape Cod. AR could be on sapphire and on mineral glass.

If your girlfriend bought it from street vendor for around $100 - I can assure you, it's mineral. But in very rare cases it could be sapphire (I highly doubt it).

DannyBoy818

yeah she knows a little about rep watches or from what i taught her. She bought it for 218 us dollars. she tried to take a coin and scratch the glass. The guy said its sapphire and was confident on letting her do what ever she likes to the glass. I wont be able to inspect it until saturday when she gets back. Im just doing a lil research.

DannyBoy818

After reading all the threads on this topic. When you buy the cape cod clothes thats all you need? just rub on the glass for 10mins and thats it?

greg_r

AR is on the inside of the crystal (assuming single AR - double AR is both sides), so you'd need to dismantle the watch to remove it.

DannyBoy818

ahhh thanks greg. that explains a lot. Just have to be extra careful taking out the movement

sardonix

I had a Hublot with AR messed up from factory, sent it to FineDD for removing and new AR job.

See difference between these 2 Hublot. One treated other stock.

I did my best to catch the blue in daylight.

dnITV.jpg

Mystery Shopper

After reading all the threads on this topic. When you buy the cape cod clothes thats all you need? just rub on the glass for 10mins and thats it?

You might need the RWG toolkit as well. It has all sorts of tools in it- handy when working on watches. Either that or send to a modder.

sardonix

AR is on the inside of the crystal (assuming single AR - double AR is both sides), so you'd need to dismantle the watch to remove it.

+1

That is why i sent the Hublot to FineDD, and if you can get it off you could have a reflection which drives you crazy -_-

So maybe a total new AR job is needed.

DannyBoy818

sardonix how long did it take from shipping and ar job all together? I'm a very impatient person i hate waiting hehe

KeNnY

I love Blue , Black, Red all AR tints

but best is Black AR well the invisible one :)

This one is from Goin but I believe it is same as Finedd, I need to find some optics lab that can do AR in Slovakia as well !

p20121022-161505.jpg

DannyBoy818

I love Blue , Black, Red all AR tints

but best is Black AR well the invisible one :)

This one is from Goin but I believe it is same as Finedd, I need to find some optics lab that can do AR in Slovakia as well !

p20121022-161505.jpg

wow the black does look nice too! great pic kenny!

pudli

my view is that ar was developed mainly for lenses in order to let more light through. it always comes with a certain blueish color from some angles. i personally do not fancy a cheap ar coating as this can kill the ambient of the watch. example my 386m had an earlier rep version with the blue color ar. that killed the watch as it supposed to have a yellow-brown dial color tone. luckily they introduced the v1.1 without the blue ar... so if the blue color goes with the ambient of the dial than go for it. otherwise ignore as it wont improve the reflection anyway a lot...

mysterio

AR that comes with a rep is only single and is usually on the inside of the crystal.

initram5

Some good replicas had double AR but as much I know it comes only in blue. Do you know somebody in EU who makes good AR job?