Sign in to follow this  
PCSAM

David Wong PN datona

Noddy
Like I said it is probably a language barrier thing but I've tried to keep it as simple as possible and the previous conversations had pinned the price of the watch at $200 plus shipping and then I asked about engraving and was told it was "extra". I hope it is a misunderstanding but...

Took a slightly different approach and listed the components asking David for a total and he came up with $258. so apparently he just wasn't getting the difference between 20.00 or 20 and 200. Just like in certain countries where they write numbers as 20,0 or some nonsense.

$258 for 6263 asymmetrical case with model and serial engraving, flat case back, A7750 movement, ROC dial with no "Daytona" lettering, Tropic crystal, bracelet, correct hand set.

Phew! Glad that's all cleared up!

wiesn089

Hi!

Are these DW Daytonas from the same parts Spinmaster is doing his? I am researching these at the moment and would love something I could upgrade over time. As I understand in both cases I am able to exchange the movement for a V72 and original dial, am I right on this one?

Thanks in advance

KBH
Hi!

Are these DW Daytonas from the same parts Spinmaster is doing his? I am researching these at the moment and would love something I could upgrade over time. As I understand in both cases I am able to exchange the movement for a V72 and original dial, am I right on this one?

Thanks in advance

They are the same cases but the two movements aren't interchangeable. The case is machines for either a V72 or a 7750, not both.

wiesn089

Thanks for the clarification. I right one the edge of pulling the trigger on one of David's hand-wound 6263s with black dial, it would total at 350,- incl. shipping.

I don't like the "Daytona" in red written on it, is there a way to get rid of it? Another question concerning the movement (hand-wind version), is there a stop which tells you that the watch is fully wound after some time of winding it (similar to a gen Speedmaster) or do you just stop when you think it's fully wound?

Thanks again

KBH

There are a couple of Pre-Daytona models that don't have "Daytona" on the dial. You'll need to do some research though, as I believe they also don't have "Oyster" on the dial. Non Oyster models use different (non screw down) pushers on the case. So if you get one research to see that you are getting the right pushers. I'm sure David can help you with that.

The hand wind version doesn't have a stop. You can tell pretty much when it's wound by the feel after you get used to it. But don't worry. You can't overwind it. A clutch on the main spring slips after it's fully wound.

wiesn089

Thanks for your help, KBH, this forum is great!

All right, I like the screw down pushers better so I'll stick with the red "Daytona" as I didn't find evidence of 6263s without this written above the 6 subdial.

My last question, before I scrap together the money, on all pictures David send me you can't clearly see whether there's this "step down" on the subdials like on the original ones ( can be seen here http://www.r-l-x.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=68613 ). Are they really flat or does David's dial have this step, too?

KBH
Thanks for your help, KBH, this forum is great!

All right, I like the screw down pushers better so I'll stick with the red "Daytona" as I didn't find evidence of 6263s without this written above the 6 subdial.

My last question, before I scrap together the money, on all pictures David send me you can't clearly see whether there's this "step down" on the subdials like on the original ones ( can be seen here http://www.r-l-x.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=68613 ). Are they really flat or does David's dial have this step, too?

I can't speak to all of his dials but mine is step down and I believe they all are.

wiesn089

I just completed my transaction with David, very nice guy to deal with. He's building me a 6263 with black dial and mystery movement, hope it'll work well until I have secured an original Valjoux 23. Thanks so much for your help KBH, will keep you all posted and post some pictures when it arrives.

greg_r

Great to hear! Looking forward to the pics :)

Noddy

David does offer a silver dial with black registers Rolex Oyster Cosmograph with no red Daytona lettering. About 2 weeks ago he told me they would be in stock in about 10 days.

BTW, he says that he is the only one who has the mystery movement.

KBH
David does offer a silver dial with black registers Rolex Oyster Cosmograph with no red Daytona lettering. About 2 weeks ago he told me they would be in stock in about 10 days.

BTW, he says that he is the only one who has the mystery movement.

I wish he would let the rest of us know where the Mystery Movement came from, since getting parts is impossible.

RolexAddict

can you just explain what do you mean about "step down" on a dial ???

this is one of my DW I have built

PNB02.jpg

also this one I copied from a Sotheby sale :

Sotheby00.jpg

Thats mine :

Sotheby01.jpg

KBH

He means the sub-dials are slightly indented on the dial. Slightly lower.

RolexAddict

O.K I got it, mine are step down. All rep dials are like this, I hope so.

Now, just a precision :

All Daytona dials found on Jewlery&Watch sold 400usd, or from Yuki sold a little less expensive, are totally vrong. They lie when they say its gen refinished by professional, its just fake with a Singer stamp on the back of the dial. The sub-dial spacing is correct for old Valjoux movement but dials are complete fake.

Sorry.

Following pics are from the Guido Mondani Daytona book. No better source to know the vintage Daytona specs.

step down : O.K.

dial01.JPG

rep sub-dials don't have enough deep like here on a gen pic

dial03.JPG

This is the biggest difference between a gen dial and a rep dial : the minute counter at 3, have a look and compare even with 400usd price range dials, supposed gens...

dial06.JPG

more explications :

look the lines, a big line at 30, 2 shorter lines at 20 and 10, this is the most big error on ALL pseudo gen dials...

on right you can see the sub-dials spacing on dials -gens or rep- made to match with V72/727, its 0,6mm difference

dial05.JPG

I forgot :

A precision : dials from David are sharp, not expensive. They are precise enough and David is honest, he doesn't afirm they are gens refinished by professionals :)

Edited by RolexAddict

wiesn089

A quick update:

David has finished my watch yesterday, sent me pics (as requested, nice!) of the finished product but there were some issues concerning the quality of the dial and the hands (one index slightly off, second hand tip painted inaccurately). I asked him to fix these issues and I think he is doing so right now (haven't heard from him - eagerly awaiting email). David is very nice to deal with, I will keep you posted as soon as the watch arrives (hopefully with these problems fixed).

Further researches have revealed that indeed there seems to exist a Cosmograph with screwdown pushers without the red "Daytona" lettering on the dial - Ref. 6240. I have found several dial versions (looking for the black dial) some with only "Rolex Cosmograph Daytona" written beneath the crown, others also labeled Ref. 6240 with "Rolex Oyster Cosmograph". The only difference of 6240 to 6263 (except the dials) I came across were the crown sizes of 6mm with 6240 and 7mm with 6263. I think I will go for one of David's 6240 dials once they are back in store and go for a 6240 rep with a genuine 6mm crown and a gen Tropic 21 crystal.

Any further info on the 6240, especially which (black) dial version is accurate?

Edited by wiesn089

Noddy
A quick update:

David has finished my watch yesterday, sent me pics (as requested, nice!) of the finished product but there were some issues concerning the quality of the dial and the hands (one index slightly off, second hand tip painted inaccurately). I asked him to fix these issues and I think he is doing so right now (haven't heard from him - eagerly awaiting email). David is very nice to deal with, I will keep you posted as soon as the watch arrives (hopefully with these problems fixed).

Could you post the pictures here?

Please post again when David responds about the issues.

Silverspeed

What a great thread....in fact I like these Vinatage Daytona's so much I'm gonna

order one from David Wong

PCSAM

I forgot all about this thread ....here is the DW I received a wile ago ......

dw1.jpg

dw3x.jpg

wiesn089

Just to keep you updated, my watch arrived today after A LOT custom problems ( I ended up paying 75€ custom fees). Well nothing works, one screw down pusher doesn't screw down I am disappointed to say the least. I wonder how David will help me out on this one. I will have to have a watchmaker get it to work, will have to sink a lot of money into this one... ****

Definitely no beginners watch

KBH

Wow! Nothing works is a pretty broad statement. Movement doesn't work? Chrono doesn't work? Tell us more.....

I can't imagine how a screw down pusher doesn't screw down. Are the threads stripped? They're such simple little things.

greg_r

That's very disappointing. Sorry to hear that :lol:

KBH

Hmmm, I wonder if those customs agents didn't have a little fun with your watch before they gave it to you.......

wiesn089

Well, nothing does work. The watch won't run, even the second hand had fallen off. The screw-down pusher won't screw, perhaps something is broken, I don't know. Will have my watchmaker have a look at it or send it straight to Domenico as I'm not sure how my watchmaker will deal with a rep. The case on the other hand is really nice, the bracelet is nothing special but I'm not sure how the gen one is as I have never handled one before. I fear this is gonna be a money sink, perhaps I'll get a V23 right away and be done with it. will have to think about this

dingle
That's very disappointing. Sorry to hear that :)

+1

:rofl:

KBH

I'd contact David and have him sort it out for you. I'm sure he would, but then you do have Customs to worry about again.