Sign in to follow this  
Odyseus

My Speedmaster Moon Modded..

Odyseus

Hi All,

I decided to take the lead of KeNnY and modify a Speedmaster Moon watch.

The link for Kenny's tutorial is here :-http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=23086

Anyway to start with I got the following:-

(1) Speedmaster Moon from Watch International, this measures 40mm across the Bezel.

(2) Genuine Bezel, (Omega 082SU1589 – Cousins UK) - £99+VAT

(3) Genuine Plexi Hesilate 'glass' (Omega PW5139 - Cousins UK) - £19+VAT

(4) SuperLuminova.

Did the following modifications:-

(1) Fix the 6 o'clock sub dial - very easy to do this :).

(2) Over lumed the markers. Quite hard to get the lume even & straight under a microscope at x60 - even the black oiler is too big!.I need to find a finer oiler in future, if one exists? At least the Lume looks Ok with naked vision!

I think on balance I should have used WL-WG Gxtreme, as this stuff is much better than SuperLuminova??

(3) Fitted the genuine bezel. This too a bit of effort because the genuine bezel is fitted to a metal ring, so I had to carefully prise it off. Then I found that it was very slightly bigger than the replica bezel. So I very carefully filed the bezel to fit using nail emery boards (as these are very gentle) and making sure to abraid away from the lettering to not to chip the paint.

Glued the bezel in using G-S hypo Cement.

(4) Fitted plexi glass. Now this is a fairly loose fit! I didn't bother with the original washer or the one that came with the plexiglass. I did try using Sternkreuz Minecol 224, but I couldn't get it to cure??? so used some more C-S Hypo cement instead.

Apparantly C-S cement is designed for plexi glass.

I was using a PCB UV light box and maybe the intensity is not enough for curing the UV adhesive. The glue data sheet suggested a Osram Vitalux 300 Watt light source..but if you go to the watchtools site the UV glue curing lamp looks suspiciously like a £20 nail curing lamp (ie 4*9W UV lamps).

Anyway, the Plexi glass 'seems' well bonded??

Here are my results..(I should have given the watch a bit of polishing before photographing it :( )

Moonie4.jpg

Moonie3.jpg

Moonie2.jpg

Moonie1.jpg

Moonie_Lume.jpg

Higs

Could you post a pic of the rep bezel?

I'm interested to know what was wrong with it vs. the genuine one.

markeym3

Nice work, i enjoyed your thread, well done, but yes some comparison shots would be great

Odyseus

OK I've taken a couple of pictures comparing the genuine and replica dial.

As you can see the text is a thinner font and better defined on the genuine bezel. .To be honest the replica bezel is pretty good though!

For some reason the genuine fitted bezel looks dusty and also looks all jagged on the inside. Don't know why because it's perfect, so it must be some light distortion caused by the plexi glass??

You can also see my over lume 'attempts' in the photo's..

Moonie6.jpg

Moonie5.jpg

dalboy

All good work..

Such a shame you had to file so much of the bezel away..its lost the definition of the numerals on the inside edge.

Your a braver man than me.not something i would attempt..well done

Dal...........

Odyseus

Nah Dal :),As I said I had to file the 'outer' edge of the bezel to get it to fit, not the inside edge!

It's a photo distortion..see this photo, the inside edge of the bezel is perfect??

Moonie8.jpg

robznet

Damn nice moonie mate - well done!

DeLaForce

Wow superb mate!

Arism

Nice work mate! :thumbsup:

Bardamu

Oh yes, Lord Whiteley, it's a beautiful watch. And I'm so happy that I'm now its new owner !

I got it yesterday, and didn't take time yet to adjust the bracelt for my chicken wrist. I just changed for a leather strap, that I love also. And I took few pictures, of course ! ;)

i44ifk.jpg

jj6v04.jpg

f0aqvl.jpg

Thanks again for letting go away this beauty !

Paul

Edited by Bardamu

dalboy

Nah Dal :),As I said I had to file the 'outer' edge of the bezel to get it to fit, not the inside edge!

It's a photo distortion..see this photo, the inside edge of the bezel is perfect??

Moonie8.jpg

Arhhh !! i stand corrected..sorry it's an age thing.. :giggle:

It looks excellent..

Dal