Sign in to follow this  
sherbert79

Up s*it creek without a paddle!!

sherbert79

Hi Folks

Got myself in to a bit of a predicament and I need some advice.

My Tag Carrerra has developed some faults, the rotating bezel kept jamming and there was also a slight rattle when my wrist was moving. So I decided to have a look myself :rolleyes:

On removing the back of the watch i found the problem straight away, the 3 little screws that hold the mechanism in place were just sitting in the holes and not even screwed in, this would explain why the bezel is jamming and also the rattle is more than likely the mechanism moving and hitting the side of the watch. The problem I have is that these screws are absolutely tiny and very hard to handle, my smallest screw driver is 1.5mm and doesnt even fit them.

Are there smaller screwdrivers to let me put these back in??? Help please!!!

Sherbs :thumbsup:

Cyril_Clunge

There are much smaller screwdrivers available. If you're in a hurry and quality is not a major factor then search on ebay for watch screwdriver or watch tools. If you can afford to wait, then order from our very own shop. Good luck! :)

greg_r

Yep - you just need a decent watchmaker's screwdriver set. Check out the RWGshop for a good set at trade prices.

sherbert79

Ive put the screws away for safe keeping and put the back on the watch, still working ok but would like to get it fixed asap. Thanks for your help guys, will have a look for a set of watchmakers drivers!!

sherbert79

Ok folks I managed to get a driver small enough to tighten the mechanism screws, i used the Mrs nail file and filed one right down to about 1mm think!!! shhhh dont tell her!!

I have a question though, the watch is still got a rattle as if the full mechanism is moving and hitting the sides of the watch. Can the screwholes move away from the holes that they screws go in to? IE can the move so that the two holes are not aligned?

Member X
Ok folks I managed to get a driver small enough to tighten the mechanism screws, i used the Mrs nail file and filed one right down to about 1mm think!!! shhhh dont tell her!! I have a question though, the watch is still got a rattle as if the full mechanism is moving and hitting the sides of the watch. Can the screwholes move away from the holes that they screws go in to? IE can the move so that the two holes are not aligned?

You would have to remove the screws and check the holes are aligned - the way the cannon pinions for the hands poke through the dial should keep things mostly in place but it wouldn't take much to be out of alignment.

Can you make it rattle with the back off? It could be the auto winder rotor hitting the caseback.

sherbert79

No it doesn't rattle when the back is off so you may be on to something!! How do I stop that?

Member X

Could be worth checking that the screw that holds the rotor in is tight?

I don't think its ability to rotate depends on the screw being slightly loose, so I'd tighten that baby up and see if it helps. (don't force it, though!)

Del

I have a question though, the watch is still got a rattle as if the full mechanism is moving and hitting the sides of the watch. Can the screwholes move away from the holes that they screws go in to? IE can the move so that the two holes are not aligned?

Were there movement holder tabs with the screws? There should be little metal tabs that hold the movement in place with each screw - the screws themselves don't hold the movement in place. If the screws were rattling around inside the case then you might also have three movement holder tabs in there too.

sherbert79

No it was just the screws! Will have a look in there tngt for them haha