Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

The Birth of The Diver.

ImNotFatImFluffy

Wood?

i dont know how to reply to this, but no, wood was not what im thinking lol.

DFH

Wood?

:lmao2: :lmao:

RichardMiami

nah. .... not wood..that was a typo.... he meant WOOL :oscar:

powderfreak

Will the diver give you wood?

DR3M3L
27974115.jpg

trksh-bzr

My dad has watches mainly made from fudge.....or so it looks. What is it with old lads and nasty watches....?

wolfwood

This gives some idea of how the 3 dolphine design would look in real life.

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

Here is the watch.

IMG_5187.jpg

Luthier

I'm still breaking my head - to make 2nd crown and rotating rehaut, or not? If yes - what purpose of it?

Any advices?

Soopah Spy

If it is to be a true diving watch, then it is useful; it would be used as an indicator to know when to ascend, or when your mix would be running low, or when to switch tanks, etc. If the watch is to be a diver-style watch, bit not really for full use, then it seems like it would be a lot of extra trouble and cost to add that functionality. For a good example of this function, in a nice and clean presentation, I usually point people at the B&R 02 watch. You can pre-set the indicator for how long to stay down before ascending, and then dive in.

756055d1341539515-just-joined-b-r-family-02-94-ssc_0150.jpg

(Note that the rehaut control dial is at the :50 position on this design.)

Let's say it's 15 past the hour. You are diving with 20 minutes of usable air mix. You set the triangle to :15, and dive. When you get close to :20 on the rehaut, you ascend, keeping in mind the recommend rate of ascension for your depth. Basically, the setting rehaut makes it a quick glance to check your time left. It's convenient, and means a tiny bit less math to do in your head when you're on the dive. It also means you don't have to dive in right on a mark; you can just set the rehaut to when you dive.

If it's meant to be a really useful feature, it's nice, but not a deal-breaker. If it's just for show, then it seems like one more costly complication, which can run the risk of cluttering the design. If it's for the flavor, skip it. If it's for the function, consider it.

Luthier

B&R don't have rotating bezel, that's why they use rehaut. My watch has rotating bezel.

Soopah Spy

You can use the bezel in a similar way. The only real advantage to the rotating rehaut is if it also uses a screw-down crown. It means the time interval can't be accidentally reset by bumping the watch hard. Bumping the bezel could potentially shift your marks. (Mind you, it would need to be quite a hard bump or brush to do that.)

Edited by Soopah Spy

Balad1

I'm still breaking my head - to make 2nd crown and rotating rehaut, or not? If yes - what purpose of it?

Any advices?

Bro,

It would be cool and unique but no doubt would add to the cost and is another entry point for water.

Maybe just a basic clean design with standard large diver's bezel.

Ever consider brass?

Whatever you decide I'm down for 2 pieces.

ABOUT500M3.jpg

Brown.jpg

Luthier

Yes, I'm considering the brass for 1/3rd of the watches, if I'll see demand.

Cost? Maybe, extra $10. Water? As I said before - factory guaranteed same waterproof on the second crown, as on the main crown.

Somebody said rotating rehaut is useful, if there's numbers in opposite direction - from 60 to 0. I just forgot the purpose.

HeavyKrush

My vote is go with the rotating bezel not the rehaut.

HeavyKrush

That's actually a pretty fucking cool looking watch Ted.

myaz

Yes, I'm considering the brass for 1/3rd of the watches, if I'll see demand.

Cost? Maybe, extra $10. Water? As I said before - factory guaranteed same waterproof on the second crown, as on the main crown.

Somebody said rotating rehaut is useful, if there's numbers in opposite direction - from 60 to 0. I just forgot the purpose.

Quote TB, post #191. (See also Offshore #195):

"Traditional count up timer on one, count down timer on the other (ie: numbers go other way around)."

Luthier

Aha, got, it, thanks, Marc!!!

acharria

a few Brass sounds very good..

Balad1

STINGRAY204320GREEN_jpg_opt409x545o00s409x545a.jpg

BRONZE20SD4520BROWN_jpg_opt409x487o00s409x487.jpg

offshore

G, I'm with Balad, an extra crown is only another potential water entry point. And REAL divers watches have external bezels. :)

Just run a conventional bezel which will only turn anti clockwise.If you want to get fancy build a lock into the external bezel so it cannot be turned at all once set.

Doesn't have to be a great big button like Omega, that Squale 2002 has a nifty push down on the bezel to unlock and revolve, when you take the pressure off, the bezel locks again.

It would be an easy design, just spring loaded vertically.

O/S

offshore

@ Balad...the top photo looks much better with the crown screwed in snug, the bottom one looks like a bloody pimple.

O/S

Luthier

G, I'm with Balad, an extra crown is only another potential water entry point. And REAL divers watches have external bezels. :)

Just run a conventional bezel which will only turn anti clockwise.If you want to get fancy build a lock into the external bezel so it cannot be turned at all once set.

Doesn't have to be a great big button like Omega, that Squale 2002 has a nifty push down on the bezel to unlock and revolve, when you take the pressure off, the bezel locks again.

It would be an easy design, just spring loaded vertically.

O/S

I hear ya.

offshore

G, I like that idea of the brass/bronze bezel.(Bronze as a less soft alternative)

Have a look at the photos of Sparkals 2003 which is a gilt bezel with black insert-

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=33568&view=findpost&p=569040

and his 1545 which is an all gilt bezel.

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=33568&view=findpost&p=570000

Something rather nice about gold/bronze colouring, especially if broken down a bit with some black.

You could engrave the bezel numbers, and fill paint them in black.

I know when I got that one watch with a gilt bezel, I had buyers all over for it. could have sold 10 of them.

O/S

Just my two bobs worth.

Balad1

@ Balad...the top photo looks much better with the crown screwed in snug, the bottom one looks like a bloody pimple.

O/S

LOL

Balad1

T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG-8BQu8L1Kg60_57.jpg

KGrHqVrcF98RgYFrBQluFImmJQ60_12.jpg

KGrHqVokFCft6eJWWBQvQRDpDM60_12.jpg

yhst-11234668104341_2238_34081431-1.jpg