Sign in to follow this  
Luthier

The Birth of The Diver.

solkryssare

Or Steve Zissou :Whistle:

solkryssare

Ask Sol for rendering. Collective PMs would help.

;)

Oh dear God :facepalm:

:lol:

Member X

Great work, well done!! :)

For me, in my opinion as a laymen with no architectural training or anything like that... (so attribute what weight you want to to my opinions ;):lol:)

Hands need to either be a little bit fatter or not have the border round them - the lumed area looks a bit thin on them as it is (IMHO).

The seconds hand looks a bit dainty - can it be a little bit thicker / shorter / have a chunkier lumed area on the end?

The sticky up bits on the bezel are an accident waiting to happen :P I already injure the lady with sharp bracelets on reps, she won't appreciate being stabbed multiple times with raised points on the bezel ;):lol: Plus, the way they come over the side may mean they catch on things and turn the bezel round unintentionally.

The 'deep' look of the dial, with a lot of space between the crystal and the dial, is something I love :thumbsup:

The 'Dolphin' bar between the date and the hands makes the dial look a bit cluttered for my tastes (although I do much prefer clean and uncluttered watches, I cannot deny this lol)

As Kenny says, 'Dolphin' does not say 'macho' :lol:

I think Date only, for me :)

The crown sticks out wayyy too much IMHO :blush: and the 'mesh' finish on it reminds me of a cheapie Tauchmeister off eBay - I think the fluted / ridged look is cleaner, in my eyes, and while I appreciate it is a diver and things should be easy to use with gloves, do people adjust the time and date in the water or while just about to dive in off a boat and already in full gear? For me, I would cut the crown down to either aligning with the crown surrounds or perhaps 1mm outside it.

13mm depth is a great size - not too big, not too small :)

As always, it is much easier to critique something that someone else has already drawn up than do it yourself, so do not take any of the above as an indication that I think it's rubbish, just that my personal taste thinks a couple of things could be tweaked! :)

solkryssare

Great points X. And no need to apologize. George is no stranger to the creative process and he knows how valuable feed back is. In fact there is no such thing as negative feed back.

KeNnY

Looks great GEORGE !!! :)

But please can't you put some more man like SCARY name there ? Like SHARK or STINGRAY instead DOLPHIN ? :lol:

060904_stingray_02.jpg

Stingray

tiger_shark.jpg

Tiger Shark

henry.jpg

Dolphin

:lol:

How about CANNIBALIC HAMMERHEAD? :D

You can use abbreviation liek RWG CH Divers and shock peoples when they will ask you about meaning of CH.

Brutal!

Not bad ! :lol:

hammer-head-shark-.jpg

edamos

Looks awesome. I like the design very much. I do agree with the comments about sharp edges protruding to much. I also like the idea of making it unique in the sense it is an opportunity to design something that is the best of all worlds. Your first design turned out fantastic. This could be your masterpiece. Looking forward to ordering your second design as soon as you are ready for us.

As usual thanks for all of your effort...it appears you have a new calling. Speaking of callings, if you keep this up you will be designing for a major watch house very soon.

trailboss99

Nice but a few points.

The crown protrudes too far for a diver's, it's gunna get knocked. Don't forget why CGs exist.

Maybe Crown@4 (protection once again)? You could use a Seiko MVT which would allow for day if you really want it. I don't think a diver's needs a day however.

The lugs on the bezel are too pronounced for a diver's, they will get bashed about. Don't lose sight of the fact a diver's is a tool watch and as such sharp angles and protrusions should be avoided.

Visibility is paramount, a clear, easy to read dial with excellent contrast and hands that stand out with a vastly different shape or length are needed. This piece should have an orange or yellow dial option for those who wish to use it for it's intended purpose.

A dressy dive watch is simply a fashion accessory mate, please don't fall into that trap, plenty of them already.

964boy

No day or date, don't see the need for divers!!!!!! Otherwise a first class starting point, this will evolve into a very nice watch.

Think Luthier should consider a RWG piggy bank design, now that would be very practical. :help3: :help3: :help3:

part_timer

I’m going to enjoy coming back to this thread! :)

Personal opinions/preferences only after first brief evaluation!

Like:

Crownguard : Unique!

Dial/Hour markers: Unique! (in keeping with it’s non identical chrono twin)

Rehaut: How about a two tone colour from dial like the new Breitling Superocean

Caseback: Anything nicely engraved is great!

Not So Sure of as yet

Hands: Let’s get something unique!

Bezel: (would prefer a JLC Navy Seals type as a classy mix between Blancpain and Rolex diver ceramics) Nice to get a contrasting Bezel as opposed to made of the same material ala Breitlings.

Crown: Sticketh out a bit too much (A shorter Hexagonal one perhaps?)

Day/Date: NO! Date only please.

Name: I’m not too fussed with names. However “Dolphin diver” is an individual who cheats in video games! http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Dolphin_Diving :D

Deanjamesvr6

Nice

Crusader

Oh yes, I'll be in for a diver when it will be officially released :)

- I really like the lug design, so when you'll put it on the rubber strap, it will be ''flushed'' with the case, really nice

- +1 on the ''deep'' look of the dial, love it

- Not big fan of the pointy pieces on the bezel, thick, clean and big bezel would be my choice

And the name, if people think Dolphin isn't macho enough..

How about a Kraken Diver, it will be unique? :D

Plenty of choices, squid-like:

kraken1.jpg

kraken4.jpg

Or human-like:

kraken2.jpg

kraken3.jpg

Edited by Crusader

gB.

Quick question: what is the primary usage goal for this diver design (i.e. dressy diver for desk diving or true tool watch for actual diving)? Not saying one is better option than the other, just that depending on the end goal the design attributes and feedback you get will be different.

:)

midasmook

Great work but I'm not in love with the crown at all, I think it overpowers everything else, don't know what they're called but the bits protruding from the bezel look like they could be a problem. Great work though.

2point

The face is ok, but drop the dolphin name, too pussy sounding. The bezel is way over engineered. Too spiky, too fussy, too Breitling. Simple bezel would work better. Kenny put together a unique bezel on one of his projects, not sure if that would be a better match(it had cutouts/inlay for lume).

Frankt8242

Hey George.....Don't you still have 24 more blue RWG's left to sell...???

First things first!!! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Luthier

Quick question: what is the primary usage goal for this diver design (i.e. dressy diver for desk diving or true tool watch for actual diving)? Not saying one is better option than the other, just that depending on the end goal the design attributes and feedback you get will be different.

:)

VERY good question!!!

OK, I'll try to explain. How many of you will REALLY use this watch, as a Diver? 2-5, maybe. Rest - 295, will use it as a watch, not as a tool. Sure, not an every day beater, we have plenty of great watches, but it will be one in collection. That's why I didn't want to make just a can with crown on the chain, like some "manly" divers. How often you wear such a watch? Maybe, once in a few months. So, I wanted to create the watch, that can be a "watch", and a "tool". I don't want to make another JLC Diver or Sub with bakelite or ceramic bezel insert - 9 of the 10 divers watches look the same, because of it. And I didn't want to create another Breitling with smooth bezel. Sharp fins are just 0,4mm higher in top spots, than flat fins, and, of course, all the edges would be smoothed a little bit, so, no any injures, unless you'll thrust your arm into the pussy too deep. :D These fins and chamfers differenciate this watch from all others. My main goal was - not to repeat any existing designs. And, no, no "sharks" or any other sea monsters, too many of them already exist, from UN Hammerhead to Orient Blue Mako. Dolphins are the best divers, you know that. As I said before - it's only first ROUGH sketches and thoughts, we'll see, what will come at the end. But I'm sure - if Sol would make 3D render - you all would love this design. ;)

P.S. Most of you rejected DAY function, I didn't like it in a first place, so, Date only. And crown will be different, that's for sure.

:P

Luthier

Hey George.....Don't you still have 24 more blue RWG's left to sell...???

First things first!!! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Frankie, I don't sell watches, I design them.

Balad1

lol@Del.

It's a good start, Luth - I am sure you'll find that 'unique' touch just as you did with the first one. These things take time...

Oh, btw, I'm glad I'm not the only one you single out for PM hell. :rofl:

Oh, are we supposed to PM you Greg with our RWG diver watch suggestions?

Sorry, didn't knew.

Will only send ideas / PMs to you.

:Whistle:

Luthier

I noticed strange contradiction - you, guys, don't like aggressive look, but you all for aggressive name...

Thang

Very nice Luthier! It would be interesting if you have big date at 12 instead of regular one at 3 , just a small suggestion :)

Luthier

I plan to use 2824 or 2836 movements, they don't have big date @12.

sconehead

Same bracelet style, as on watch #1, with thick screws, instead of spring bars. No idea about dial color yet.

...gotta be orange or yellow mate...you know it makes sense... :)

...and re-the crown, how about a rounded off triangular affair seeing as it's a diver?

edit, I can provide a sketch of my crown design if you want...;)

Luthier

Sure.

sconehead
recyclecrown.png

Mazz

pablo picaso?