Sign in to follow this  
tesmith2112

Patek Aquanaut - A4813 Movement Issues

tesmith2112

This beauty just showed up today and it's got a fucking movement issue right away. Couple things to notice:

1) If I barely advance the time, you'll notice the second hand jumps, then snaps back.

2) The movement stops at 47 seconds, then starts back up with a decent little tap.

Of course #1 doesn't bother me, but it is most likely a symptom of my #2 problem, which is the real problem.

What would cause this? Should I send it back, or attempt to repair?

tesmith2112

Any thoughts on this from the experts? I appreciate it!

Flaguyinetown

Dude wtf is the black rectangle?

tesmith2112

What are you talking about? You should see an embedded youtube video. Do you not see it?

Dendo

No expert - but it does not look like anything is impeding the second hand at 47 secs.

The fact that the second hand moves with the minute hand makes me think there might be something wrong around the canon pinion. Maybe take off the second hand and have a look under magnification at both hands and how they sit on the canon pinion and if there is anything obstructing movement.

digger2

Never seen #1 but #2 could be that the movement isn't fully wound, my latest 4813 did that when just started by a swirl

YoungGPS

If you do not have a local watch smith, I suggest that you send it back. IMO.

ShiroTenshi

1 is normal. Saw it on some 2813 movement which the 4813 is based.

For 2, remove the movement from the case and see if the hands are clashing into each other. Pretty common problem.

Flaguyinetown

What are you talking about? You should see an embedded youtube video. Do you not see it?

Okay, it's working now.

dalboy

Simple ..are you comfortable and confident to do a self fix..if not you know the answer !!

Dal..........

HeavyKrush

Cant see it as a hands interference as it always stops at 0:47. Also seems like theres a stutter at 0:42. Wonder if a gear has some missing teeth. I'd send it back or buy a new movement.

10:10 Watch Repair

Cant see it as a hands interference as it always stops at 0:47. Also seems like theres a stutter at 0:42. Wonder if a gear has some missing teeth.

That sounds like a good possibility, although more commonly it's a bent tooth or a broken wheel.