Sign in to follow this  
Odyseus

UV glue curing advice

Odyseus

Hi All,

I need to re-glue a plexi glass (ie acrylic) crystal to a watch and have decided not to use CS cement but a UV glue - Sternkreuz Minecol No 224.

The question is how to cure it?

On the watch tools site (http://www.watchtool.co.uk/deluxe-gl...mp-p-6984.html) their UV curing lamp looks very like the ones on ebay/Amazon costing £15-£20?? and have the same 4 off 9W UV lamps.

So I bought one. I also have a PCB UV light box.

But after half an hour under the lamp, the watch crystal came out without much effort. Previously I had actually used CS cement and the bond was considerably stronger!!!!

A couple of questions then:-

What's the best UV glue and are those nail gel curing UV lamps OK for watch UV glue curing??

All the best

John

10:10 Watch Repair

the sun works pretty well as a UV lamp alternative.

Odyseus

Alas for us poor Brits..the sun is something rarely seen :(

I reckon that sitting the watch by a window is no good as the UV might get filtered by the glass?

The main problem I have with the UV adhesive is knowing if it's actually cured? I'll put a test sample along with the next watch then I'll know..

gtwc

On a serious note - it might be worth contacting a 'friendly' dentist to ask about

their UV curing - they basically use the same thing for attaching crowns etc.

Good luck.

onionbag

Or Kenny...........try him mate, I'm sure he has all the gubbins, UV light box etc.

10:10 Watch Repair

Alas for us poor Brits..the sun is something rarely seen :(

I reckon that sitting the watch by a window is no good as the UV might get filtered by the glass?

The main problem I have with the UV adhesive is knowing if it's actually cured? I'll put a test sample along with the next watch then I'll know..

I have a very slow cure epoxy, I put a dot of it next to what I'm working on so I can check the dot for hardness.

You don't need direct sunlight, a cloudy day should be fine.

trailboss99

the sun works pretty well as a UV lamp alternative.

Exactly. Bright sun is not necessary, just daylight.

I use an old bank note checking lamp with a UV fluro tube in it but sunlight works just as well if somewhat more slowly.