Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

Omega Planet Ocean from Watchinternational

AllergyDoc

I purchased this from Mary of Watchinternational in December, 2009. I began communications with Mary too close to the Christmas rush so it seemed to take forever to get the watch. But I'm impatient.

It's supposed to be fit with an ETA-Clone, but I haven't confirmed that. The movement winds better than the SMP I got from Mary, but not as smoothly as the LV Sub from Asian7750, if that means anything.

The pics:

Overall front view:

4336586676_6a1743942d_o.jpg

Clasp:

4335839937_501e298914_b.jpg

Caseback that I forgot to wipe down:

4336586918_2eb7135b39_o.jpg

Faults:

The ends of the springpins are bent. We have to assume it was necessary to get them to fit, which means something...

You can see it here:

4336586864_f98af5a04e_o.jpg

The endlink-gap is not as obvious in this pic as it is in person:

4336586710_230daf8310_o.jpg

The other big problem was this little bugger:

4336586812_3a48f58b6c_o.jpg

I was wearing the watch right at the proximal end of my hand when I flexed my wrist; this sucker broke off. Luckily I found it on the carpet and mashed it back together with a needle-nosed pliers. So far it's held, but I'm leery of wearing it out of town.

Pearl and surround:

4336659568_d96d825962_o.jpg

Not real great.

Wristie:

4335840165_6c7033003e_o.jpg

I also purchased a rubber band with this watch. Unfortunately, because the springpins are bent at the end, they don't hold the band in place. I'll have to order another set of springpins, but I'll KBH's retirement portfolio that the holes in the lugs were drilled in the wrong location and the band won't fit. Why else would they have had to bend the ends of the springpins?

The lume is quite good. It doesn't charge as brightly as a superlumed watch, of course, but it does last well into the night, at least until 5:00 AM with a 15-minute charge under the reading lamp.

I have serious doubts that this was a "UPO."

Still, I wear it often. It's easy to see why the Planet Ocean is often a collector's first genuine purchase.

trailboss99

What is it with these damn PO clasps?

Expoxy the little bugger back in there Doc, won't come out then.

Col.

oscarmadfish

a nice looking watch nevertheless

greg_r

I really have to get myself a UPO one of these days - very classy.

ImWatchingYOU

The pearl looks quite out of center. How has the movement been working until now?

AllergyDoc
The pearl looks quite out of center. How has the movement been working until now?

The pearl and the metal around the pearl were awful. I sold the watch after about 4 weeks and bought this one from Reg for $102:

4788153681_ee78abcb89_b.jpg

When I want a PO fix I wear this. :gday_mate_haveabeer:

ImWatchingYOU

This one looks a lot better, same movement as last one? Describe a bit more about it's quality :D

AllergyDoc

No, it's a 21J cheapo movement. Starts up with a couple of shakes in the morning. Bracelet is as good as the more expensive one. Lume sucks, but what else is new? :yoda: