Sign in to follow this  
credo325

UPO Question: Asian eta VS Swiss eta

credo325

Hey everyone,

I am about to buy my first replica and it's going to be the UPO from Mary in 42m. She has given me two options with the Asian ETA or the Swiss ETA. I have read a few stuff on the forums and people seem really happy with their Asian ETA UPO but also happy with the Swiss ETA. What are you experiences? Is it worth the extra $50 to go with the Swiss ETA or can I go with the Asian ETA? An advice, experiences, or just words of wisdom would be welcome!

Mary linked me here for the reference of the watch: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=10256

planetocean.jpg

halcyon

If it's really swiss one, I buy it.

At least at once you try to overhaul genuine ETA movement, you'll understand why it cost high.

Asian ETA is little bit hard to assemble because of its degree of precision of parts.

Also, you can buy ETA parts around the net but not Asian.

Maybe I'm too paranoid but I'll never buy Asian ETA. For me its same as DG4813.

sequoia

I have the 45 mm UPO with the Asian movement for about 4 months now and it is a great watch. I usually to not pay extra for the "Swiss" movement. It is a personal preference. Some will only buy "Swiss" for the quality but I do not fall into hat category.

myaz

Try to search this here. It has been quite thoroughly discussed several times with no clear consensus. In fact, it can be quite difficult to tell the difference between the movements.

Members do not report problems with either movement. There is concern that with some dealers, Mary and other knowledgeable TDs excepted, you might not actually get Swiss as claimed because they can be occasionally fooled themselves.

stewzzy

its really up to u. if getting swiss try and specify if it is eta or sellita as ive been sold eta but once recieved its sellita - yes still swiss but not what i was intending on buying. the clone movements are generally pretty good and the beats are the same amount so visibly they look very similiar to the eye.

as with all rep watches you are gambling on a rep/fake product so if it turns out good u will generally stick with that for your next purchase. if you can afford the $50 then go for swiss and later try an asian eta and compare the difference. its all experience/enjoyment/entertainment :)

wagner

The extra cost for swiss is now at $100 or 120. Mary sent you an old post ?

hnic

i pay extra for swiss

i want the best available

its up to you

Burnleybezel

Swiss.

B.B

credo325

Seeing as it's for my birthday I am going to go all out and get it Swiss ETA movement.

Luthier

If it's really swiss one, I buy it.

At least at once you try to overhaul genuine ETA movement, you'll understand why it cost high.

Asian ETA is little bit hard to assemble because of its degree of precision of parts.

Also, you can buy ETA parts around the net but not Asian.

Maybe I'm too paranoid but I'll never buy Asian ETA. For me its same as DG4813.

You're joking, right?

:picard:

Galy

I bought Asian movements, but the latter broke after a month, a rotor problem. Now I think I'll buy Swiss movements only.

I wonder still, is that the Swiss movement with GMT function are reliable?

watchman12345

Please please don't buy the "swiss ETA" that the 42mm PO factory use. I've seen about 5 and they've all been old stock nickel plated movements. Some in bad nic. Ask for a pic of the movement and check if the swiss has incabloc or ETAchoc shock protection. ETA haven't used incabloc in their basic grade movements for a while but the 42mm PO factory Swiss ETAs have incabloc shock protection.

I would strongly recommend the Asia ETA for this watch. For other factories it may be different.

honeybear

The extra cost for swiss is now at $100 or 120. Mary sent you an old post ?

Yes, that seems to be the going rate now, so the $50 amount quoted raises flags for me. As watchman12345 seems to be suggesting the Swiss ETAs used in the UPOs seem to be rethreads.

watchman12345

It's the 42mm 5th gen I saw (I think that's what the op is buying). I like the Asia eta anyway. The latest version is very good.

halcyon
If it's really swiss one, I buy it. At least at once you try to overhaul genuine ETA movement, you'll understand why it cost high. Asian ETA is little bit hard to assemble because of its degree of precision of parts. Also, you can buy ETA parts around the net but not Asian. Maybe I'm too paranoid but I'll never buy Asian ETA. For me its same as DG4813.
You're joking, right? :picard:

Haha. Little bit joking.

But I doubt Asian ETA last a long time as Swiss ETA because of their bad QC.

I couldn't interchange some parts even both are Asian ETA.

In contrast, my old ETA2824 still keeps good time more than decades.