Sign in to follow this  
mcloud

Swapping 21j for ETA movement

mcloud

Sorry if this has been discussed before and there are probably pictorials on the forums, but I was wondering what the problem is in swapping out an Asian 21j with an ETA, Swiss or clone. I have just fixed a regular Sub where one of the lume markers fell off inside the watch. I just removed the caseback, a couple of screws holding the movement and pressed the button to unscrew the crown and out it all popped. The worst part, after I glued the marker back on (very carefully) was to clean the inside of the crystal, as there was minute dust and hair - I ended up using a mini computer vacuum cleaner. I just thought to myself at that time, if I had an ETA movement and it was cheap enough, I should just be able to fit that instead. Am I wrong and there's a lot more to it? Anyone had a go at this? :Yawn:

KBH

The movement holders are different sizes. The hands are different sizes and the dial feet are different. Not sure if the crown stem would line up.

Just a few minor obstacles to overcome.

mcloud

Okay thanks for that. I will get started and order some. :Yawn: What I don't understand, is that when I released the movement, then I am just left with the shell. It seemed to me that this is standard and any movement should fit in there.

JohnG
Okay thanks for that. I will get started and order some. :Yawn: What I don't understand, is that when I released the movement, then I am just left with the shell. It seemed to me that this is standard and any movement should fit in there.

Yeah, it can be done, but from what I have read and like what KBH said, it is not as simple as just swapping the movement out.

mcloud

Okay, thanks John, I will do a bit more research on this subject. I feel like playing around with some of my cheapies on a rainy night :Yawn:

KBH

The cheapo plastic movement holders would be better than the metal ones. At least you can work with them to fit.

Or :lol: try Silly Putty. :o :o

JohnG
The cheapo plastic movement holders would be better than the metal ones. At least you can work with them to fit.

Or :o try Silly Putty. :o :D

I saw a thread at RWG.cc where somebody had used chewing gum. No shit.

RolexAddict

I did that kind of swap with a Beginmariner LV.

Last year instead of what announced on Perfect clones web catalog, Beginmariner came with a different case and a plastic movement holder inside.

I change the asian mov. for a 2836-2. Everything was fine : stem/crown lining, dial and the metalic mov. holder also, except for the hands

I used spare fat hands from a GMT C. Everything perfect.

The swap of a ETA in a Beginmariner, those with the accurate case called "swiss case" who is thinner, is no possible.

Edited by RolexAddict