Sign in to follow this  
scorpion

HELP!!! Can this be fixed in time for Xmas and save me from wife beating!

scorpion

OK so a while ago I was pondering getting a gen from the Mrs for Xmas because of issues over my DSSD Birthday present that was DOA and a pissed of Mrs who had bought it for me. She refused to buy me any more reps but I have pulled a fast one and bought a Breitling Emergency. This was one watch I wanted for many years but the 3K+ was a big problem and no reps were around that were true to it. However after much thought I decided that I would get the only Rep I could find, its nothing like the real model more of mixture of the 2 models of gen the original Emergency and the later Emergency Mission.

Anyway it arrived today just in time for Xmas but it has a problem.

Breitling Emergency Mission LCD Fault (1) (Large).jpg

See the lower reverse LCD display - the 2nd from last has a number of digit parts missing, see closer pics below:-

Breitling Emergency Mission LCD Fault (3) (Large).jpg

Breitling Emergency Mission LCD Fault (2) (Large).jpg

Now I can send it back as I asked the TD to check the LCD display before sending it to me and they failed or I can attempt a DIY repair - any one have a clue what I can do? Or I can just live with it as long as its not likely to get worse.

Return to Asia is a issue as the Mrs will then realise I bought another rep when it disappears for 3 months so options 2 repair or 3 live with it are more viable.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this are most welcome.

HWG

Parts of the display have stopped functioning. There is no fix that I am aware of. I dont think it would get worse, at least not for a long time. Tough call mate, sorry to hear this.

Serge D

So your wife told you no more reps, only gens, and you still went out and bought a rep....

From what i can remember when i was playing with electronic watches, there is a rubber gasket between the display and the board, and when it doesnt sit firmly against the display you loose parts of the display.

I would ask aroud our watchsmiths to see if they can help.

scorpion
So your wife told you no more reps, only gens, and you still went out and bought a rep....

From what i can remember when i was playing with electronic watches, there is a rubber gasket between the display and the board, and when it doesnt sit firmly against the display you loose parts of the display.

I would ask aroud our watchsmiths to see if they can help.

Yes there are 2 rubber strips that connect to the circuit board but they seem to be firmly fixed as they are in a casing that screws down with 5 screws. Anyone here know if its wise for me to clean these plus circuit board with electrical contact cleaner ?

scorpion

Bump for help - only 2 replies don't anyone else have any advice on this? No LCD experts out there?

HWG

Contact cleaner should not harm the LCD. I used quick drying contact cleaner to revive a credit card terminal that some spilled a soda on. Best to read the side of the can to see what it says about it. Sorry I cant offer much more help to you.

Serge D

Ok Scorp,

1. Have you tried swapping the two zebra strips? (im assuming you went inside the watch already.

2. You can clean the strips and the adjoining surfaces with Isopropanol aka

IPA (isopropyl alcohol)

3. If all of the above fails, see this guide here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:tcwPca0SPxIJ:digitalgametechnology.com/site/index.php/Download-document/79-DGT-2000-Repair.html+missing+segments+in+lcd+display&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiYGcA1N9SLexrzD0RyA5Po35q_TmqadFh4_YrMPZh9CDe9rYEgNqHmF5wqYrwxTqh_Q7AAkSHWymBY80ThoQF-re5rIAlNQQU9lxOrpUTeitc-yaMF_9dsvGv-eXg7mS3FIsNa&sig=AHIEtbS3pf9HPW9PYKs9MtmHgq_0CT_G_w

Otherwise get a bag of greek walnuts, the watch may become useful :D

Happy holidays mate.

Cyril_Clunge

I have fixed dead pixels on a car dash by sticking the display in a freezer but I accept no liability if you try it with a watch!

scorpion

Contact cleaner should not harm the LCD. I used quick drying contact cleaner to revive a credit card terminal that some spilled a soda on. Best to read the side of the can to see what it says about it. Sorry I cant offer much more help to you.

Cheers for advice - waiting for what TD suggests but my guess is they are off on holiday now. I might have a go at light cleaning the rubber strips and the gold contacts they connect with. I guess other than that it could be a manufacturing defect. Dam its my fault as I tempted fate by actually asking the TD to double check the LCD panels before sending as it was not possible to tell from QC pics.

dalboy

Scorp !!

When the missus beats the shit outa you can you post pics..... :giggle: .....i'd pay good money to see that.

scorpion

I have fixed dead pixels on a car dash by sticking the display in a freezer but I accept no liability if you try it with a watch!

Cyril that's a good idea but sounds a bit drastic - should I put in in with some peas for company or on its own :giggle:

And how did you fit a car into your freezer, is it a car size one in one of your many sheds!

Cyril_Clunge

Cyril that's a good idea but sounds a bit drastic - should I put in in with some peas for company or on its own :giggle:

And how did you fit a car into your freezer, is it a car size one in one of your many sheds!

Not a big freezer but a small car ;)

dalboy

That was also an old trick to decode car radio's...

Cyril_Clunge

Which is exactly how I discovered it could revive dead display pixels! :)

scorpion

Scorp !!

When the missus beats the shit outa you can you post pics..... :giggle: .....i'd pay good money to see that.

Sorry Dal the fights off, no beatings she knows as she saw me in my garage with the back off it but has given up on moaning about my watch obsession as she has another watches 2 incoming for Xmas!!!

dalboy

Scorp !!

Sorry Dal the fights off, no beatings she knows as she saw me in my garage with the back off it but has given up on moaning about my watch obsession as she has another watches 2 incoming for Xmas!!!

Blimey..sounds like she's as bad as you...whats incoming.

scorpion

Whats the recommend time of freezing then - how long for the radios / dash. I do have a infra-red thermometer so if you know the correct temperature I can fire its laser at watch and remove at crucial point before destruction occurs

dalboy

Whats the recommend time of freezing then - how long for the radios / dash. I do have a infra-red thermometer so if you know the correct temperature I can fire its laser at watch and remove at crucial point before destruction occurs

Well when i done it ..i put the radio in a zip lock plastic bag and stuck it in the freezer for a few hours..

scorpion

Scorp !!

Blimey..sounds like she's as bad as you...whats incoming.

Funnily enough no reps! She fortunately likes ICE watches so I bagged one on a Amazon sale for £30 instead of £80 and then she asked for a Fossil with some fake diamond bezel and green face. RRP was £100 but found it at £62 on Amazon from a UK Jewellers. Both of them are working fine as gens tend to do, its just my rep with issues.

Grimmi

If you do put it in the freezer, please, let us know the outcome :)

I'm curious...

onionbag

Ah yes, the freezer trick for car radios............I used to take the back off whilst they were still live and run a screwdriver up and down the terminals of the central 'chip', this would input random numbers into the display and quite often would cough out the code. :)

964boy

Ah yes, the freezer trick for car radios............I used to take the back off whilst they were still live and run a screwdriver up and down the terminals of the central 'chip', this would input random numbers into the display and quite often would cough out the code. :)

But where did these code less radios come from ? :giggle:

trailboss99

Put it in ziplok bag and freeze it overnight. Works for all kinds of electronic issues including dead black boxes and electronic ignition modules on bikes.

onionbag

Tssssk............. I got them from a man in the pub, all above board, where he got them from is another matter of course. ;)

964boy

Tssssk............. I got them from a man in the pub, all above board, where he got them from is another matter of course. ;)

NO TELLING :Whistle: :Whistle: :Whistle: