Sign in to follow this  
projectologist

Easy method for a more gen-like CG

projectologist

Even as the Noob factory keeps getting closer and closer to 99% accurate case set and cg, there is always room for improvement. One area that has always bugged me are the cg lever pins. On certain 44mm watches with the REG TM cg the pins have a slight roundness to the very edge of the pin. On the rest of most of the Luminors, the pin is dead-flat and at or just hair below flush with the top surface of the cg. Noobs still typically come with the cg pin just a hair above flush. It's easy to see and tell when you run a fingernail over it.

Anyway, I came up with a really quick and simple way to flatten the pin just as it comes from the OP factory.

Grab a piecec of 2x4, a pin vise, several grits of wet/dry sandpaper, CapeCod cloth and a drill press.

> Drill a hole through the 2x4 just wide enough to accommodate the pin vise allowing just enough room for movement but still keeping it perpendicular to the sanding surface.

> Chuck up the lever pin in the pin vise and set it pin down into the hole as pictured. Free-hand or use a straight edge guide and stroke through the grits until the pin is dead-flat on top. Continue to 1200 grit leaving that as the final finish for a polished Historic cg like I did or polish with a CapeCod cloth with the same setup.

> Re-insert the lever pin and lever and you'll see that the pin now sits at the right height because a fraction of material was removed during the flattening process.

Once you see the difference on your wrist, you won't be satisfied until of your cg's are fixed.

gjig01.jpg

gjig02.jpg

gjig03.jpg

gjig04.jpg