Sign in to follow this  
clutchrep

Rolex Submariner 1680 vs 16610

clutchrep

I am looking to get my first submariner rep. What are the differences between the two in terms (size, movement, price, etc...)?

Thanks

alistairw

Totally different!

Love the 1680 Red, it's s great watch, have one - wear it all the time, very classy!

16610 very nice as well, very modern.

Mystery Shopper

Yes, the 2 are totally different and it is worth reading up before purchase. GC did an excellent post on the history of the subs.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...?showtopic=6745

1680- is a vintage watch as they were made from the 60s (again see GC's posts in the Rolex subforum). Thick glass, 21600 bph, hollow bracelet, 70s clasp, 200m waterproofed.

16610- more modern, heavier bracelet, heavier clasp, thinner crystal, 28800 bph, 300m waterproof.

It is worth reading up as some order a 1680 then don't like it because of the bracelet and clasp. Frankly, some have looked like dickheads for receiving what they ordered but were too ignorant to realise what they had ordered. I have both and like both for different reasons. Many TDs have the 16610 and I bought my 1680 from Narikaa.

SAM_1477.jpg

MBK 1680

SAM_1118.jpg

clutchrep

Thanks for the insight. For the untrained eye, both watches look the same. However since I'm looking to purchase reps I wasn't sure if the differences in the actual watches actually translated over to the reps.

Mystery Shopper

No problem, particularly read up on the bracelet and clasp. Some get a 1680 and feel it is cheap and flimsy due to the hollow link bracelet design.

sardonix

My lovely brothers

MBW modded 1680 about $700 in parts

Q9TpW.jpg

Stock out of the box noob factory 16610 swiss eta about $300 ?

B91yT.jpg

Monffo

WOW. Both of these are awesome.