Sign in to follow this  
toehh

Crown unwinds immediately when winded

toehh

Hey guys,

When I wind the crown of my ST-19 movement it unwinds immediately. So I wind it and it goes back again. I believe this wasn't the case before..

Does anyone know what this means and if it's really bad news?

TIA :)

Bob Reed

Yes this is bad news. Sounds like something is stuck or has come apart in the movement. Has the watch taken a spill or hard knock?

toehh

Not that I know actually. If I hold it after giving it one wind and wind it further it will only unwind 1 time. So if I wind it once then prevent it from uwinding and I wind it two times extra it will only unwind once.

The watch still runs though

toehh

Ok bad news. I just wound it again and it fully unwounded through the crown. It turned for 20 seconds or so and it stopped. Anybody can help?

Luthier

Chris can.

Dr Yan

Im not sure what its called but it sounds like the spring loaded ratchet thingy that stops the main spring unwinding through the crown is either stuck or it has come off its pivot. It's not the hardest job to fix.

If it is just stuck, a smart slap on the palm of your hand might fix it !

mianos

The mainspring has come off the arbor. Maybe the arbor catch is broken off or flattened or the spring catch has bent or broken. A job for a watchsmith. I would be interested if arbor pins are available for the seagull or how it would be fixed

mianos

I re read what you said and I am wrong. If the crown is going backward then it is the ratchet and not the arbor, sorry. The ratchet seems easier to fix too.

toehh

Thanks for the reply! To get to the ratchet, do i need do disassemble the whole movement? Maybe I should bring it to my local watch smith if he works on venus seagull movements.

Dr Yan

No, you should be able to see it with just the back off, I think.

toehh

I would like to try it myself :P but I can't find any tutorials on disassembling a venus seagull movement, or a datasheet for that matter.

This is the movement that's in my watch http://www.h-spot.net/watches/seagull-st19.jpg

wat44

My vast horological knowledge leads me to believe that your watch is fucked.

James.

You won't need to disassemble the movement if it's the rachet. Take the case back off, wind the movement and as the two barrels are turning you'll see a little ratchet on the larger of the two "click" as the barrel turns. Normally the teeth or "pointy bit" of that ratchet skews and prevents the barrel from unwinding when you stop applying winding pressure to the crown. Unscrew the ratchet and re-align the teeth/pointy bit so maintain taughtness. Trial and error, it's not difficult and you won't/shouldn't do any further damage to the movement if you only mes around with the ratchet. Just unscrew it , align it and re-screw :thumbsup:

toehh

You won't need to disassemble the movement if it's the rachet. Take the case back off, wind the movement and as the two barrels are turning you'll see a little ratchet on the larger of the two "click" as the barrel turns. Normally the teeth or "pointy bit" of that ratchet skews and prevents the barrel from unwinding when you stop applying winding pressure to the crown. Unscrew the ratchet and re-align the teeth/pointy bit so maintain taughtness. Trial and error, it's not difficult and you won't/shouldn't do any further damage to the movement if you only mes around with the ratchet. Just unscrew it , align it and re-screw :thumbsup:

Thanks! I will try, I will keep you posted :)

toehh

The thing that should stop the barrel from turning back is covered by a sort of brace. Can I remove this so I can have a better look at why it is not clicking properly? I don't want to fuck up the movement :help3:

seagull-st19copy.jpg

toehh

Just found out the click spring was broken. This results in the click not stopping the barrel from unwinding. I'm going to order the click spring from cousins and hope that fixes it.

Thank you guys very very much for your help!

Cheers

toehh

So i got my click spring but I can't quite figure out how it should be installed. And I can't find a assembly sheet of the venus 175 movement either. Does anyone know how these two the spring should be installed?

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

I would really like to take this to the GTG tomorrow so any help is greatly apreciated! :)

Bob Reed

2 questions come to mind. 1, are you the one who took it apart? Tip, never take them apart without photos! Take that from someone who learned the hard way. Find a picture of one still together. 2, where are the missing pieces?

toehh

The problem is, when I took it apart the click spring was broken so it was loose in the movement. second problem is that I can't find a pic. Normally the operating lever is above it, as seen on my pic above. Thanks for the quick response though

Bob Reed

I am looking but finding data on these movements is tough at best... Maybe a kind gent here could snap a pic of one? It's a thought...

toehh

Yeah if someone has a venus 175 ST-19 (also called lemania often) and could snap a pic that would be F*ING great! :)

offshore

@toehh, Do you happen to know which Lemaia it is?

I have parts sheets for Lemania 5100 ( Omega 1045) and Lemania 8000/9000 series.

They are PDF if you want them, so send me an email.

Offshore

Bob Reed

My watch is inbound and I think I may be of some help once it arrives....