Sign in to follow this  
cygnus

Hi, I'm a newbie in the replica world

cygnus

Hello all,

what an interesting find, this RWG is!

I've been a watch collector for a little over a year, and not a single Rep so far - and what I've been missing!!! My current collection (<20) includes homages (I've previously had good success with Getat, so it's sad to see he's letting himself down on these boards); some "mushroom" brands (which I'm now coming to think of as poor homages of better Replicas!), and a few new brands (e.g. Deep Blue, Android).

I've learnt a thing or two about various movements, but still found greg_r's summary on replica movements very good early reading.

I've been cultured to see homages=good, replicas=bad, so I'm going though some mental re-adjustment right now. Some of the examples shown from the TD's make my eyes water - such magnificent eye candy!

I'm a sucker for manual/auto's, in particular with display backs, as I love seeing the movements in action. Homage movements are so 'sterile', so I'm looking forward to having some of the beautifully artistic ones available via Rep's in my collection soon. Are the photo's of real rep's (oxymoron - does that make sense?), or of gen watches?

Complications always seem attractive until I own them, and then they look over done, so I'm becoming a bit of a minimalist. My current particular interest is Regulateur (or Regulator) design, and it was while searching for samples that I ended up learning about RWG. I've seen a lovely SINN model, and a gorgeous JAEGER LE COULTRE model on TD sites, but can't see anything of my 'grail' which is the Louis Erard Excellence Régulateur. If anyone spots one, or can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Not to annoy anyone so early in my visit, but I have to say Rollies do nothing for me - they have to be the most copied/imitated/homaged/replicated watches in the world, and as such, I tend to find them boring. I like finding something that's not so mainstream, but oozes class. Mind you, I do live at the bottom of the world (NZ), so it might just be the tyranny of distance that means other brands aren't so well known here :-)

Anyway, it's great to find you all, and I look forward to being a regular visitor.

Mazz

Welcome aboard mate your off to a great start

Lots of great info here place to start is the noob link in my signature.

Balad1

Welcome, glad to have you join us.

Ted

BigsCG

Hello! It sounded from your intro that you'd be a Panerai fan. You may already know that brand, but it was new to me when I found RWG. Awesome reps to be had there. I thought similar of rolex, but the DSSD is still calling me! Would love to see some pics of your gen and homage collection. Welcome!

houndoggie

Welcome.

Panerai 111N noob V3

Balad1

Fuck Rolies, try a Pam.

:)

WatchPhotos002.jpg

PAB
welcometurkeymissy_zps6713c4b1.gif