Sign in to follow this  
Higs

Swapping a movement = no big deal (for the experienced)?

Higs

So I bought a SOH V2 M2M elsewhere and it's never really been right.

• When I pull out the crown there's no real distinction between any of the setting positions
  • It runs fine when I'm wearing it but seems to have very little reserve
  • Sometimes when I screw the crown in it feels like a spring is unwinding rapidly inside.

I took it in to my watch chap yesterday close to close of business and he said he'd have to look at it today. He's just rung me back to tell me that two, possibly more, gears are missing teeth and he's concerned there are teeth 'floating around' in the movement. As it's not a simple fix, he can't get stuck into it until the New Year and isn't sure he'll be able to get the parts. I think the movement is a clone 2824-2.

If this movement is screwed either because of further damage done by the rogue teeth or problems getting parts, I assume it will need a whole new movement. I'm sure he knows all this but I'd like to know for myself....

• would another 'clone 2824-2' be easy to source?
  • is it as simple as knowing the movement or is there more variation e.g. fixing, hands, date wheel?
  • are there good clones and bad clones? (watch movements before the Star Wars fans chip in)
  • roughly what would one cost (to the UK)?
  • is it a direct swap?
  • apart from the 'warm feeling of knowing', would there be anything to be gained by putting in a gen ETA Swiss 2824-2? Cost to source?

Ta,

Higs

sequoia

I'm also interested to hear what some of our resident experts say about this as I am in a similar situation.

James.

woah that's a lot of words.

movement; yeah should be pretty straight forward to source

cost? Dunno, ETA = around $100-150 so clone $40-60? (luth would be a good person to ask because he's got some good exp points)

Some clones are bad, look what happened in the revenge of the sith. Just sayin'. They seemed like allies then POW pulled the old shift'a'roo

the rest... too many words. Good luck. From my exp, get 2 movements cause you're bound to f*&k one up. Just learn from your initial cock up :thumbsup:

Bob Reed

Always a big deal when you have to pull the stem. I did a dozen with no issues then on number 13 boom! Screwed up the keyless and made myself a lot more work as I had to take the top of the movement apart to reset the keyless. Just wanted to point that out!

James.

Always a big deal when you have to pull the stem. I did a dozen with no issues then on number 13 boom! Screwed up the keyless and made myself a lot more work as I had to take the top of the movement apart to reset the keyless. Just wanted to point that out!

+1

Everythuing is going well until those fking gears don't catch!

Higs

From my exp, get 2 movements cause you're bound to f*&k one up. Just learn from your initial cock up :thumbsup:

Always a big deal when you have to pull the stem. I did a dozen with no issues then on number 13 boom! Screwed up the keyless and made myself a lot more work as I had to take the top of the movement apart to reset the keyless.

That's why I won't be doing it myself. The watch is with a watchsmith of 25years experience. I just want to know a bit more about process/options

Higs

Ouch.

Any advantage in going for a gen ETA movement?

This watch is a keeper and I don't want to spend the next ten years thinking I wish I'd spent a bit more.

On the other hand, if I never know the difference again once the back's screwed back on, I'm more than happy to spend the difference on something else.

BluffCityBandit

Clones can be had on ebay, some have had dealers send an extra with another watch purchase it seems.

If you like the watch and don't have much experience send it to a watch smith (Chris or Katt). You'll scratch a hand or a dial a bit at best - destroy them at worst - your first time.

Oops saw you had a guy - Id still send it to Katt or Chris who are used to the asian clones if you choose to go that way.

Dendo

Swapping a movement IMHO can be easy or very difficult - depends on a lot of things. Stems vary, hands vary, canon pinions vary, even movement holders can be a pain, dials sometimes fir perfectly and other times not, removing hands and refitting them can be dicey.

I think you should do it on a few watches that are not keepers before you try a watch you really like.

It is a great skill to have though so I would encourage you to try. Sconey's links are very useful for the parts. Best of luck.

umecha

CousinsUK have eta 2824 clones under the reference CH8824M. They're £67.55, which I think is ex. vat. http://www.cousinsuk.com/searchresults.aspx?searchtext=ch8824m

A movement swap is pretty simple (I think the clone should be a direct replacement apart from swapping the datewheel), but if you haven't done much tinkering before I'd leave it to a watchsmith.