Sign in to follow this  
dmpmassive

Hublot Big Bang King Diver 4000m Ti V6

dmpmassive

Hublot Big Bank King Diver 4000m Ti V6

This watch was won by myself in the WatchInternational's XMAS VIP Upgrade Contest! A really awesome gift from Mary and Rochest and again a big thanks to them. The Diver 4000m has been reviewed a few times already so I won't be adding too much to what has already been said about it. Consider this a mini-review.

This is big watch. Sure, it's only a 48mm case, but it's 22mm (7/8") inch thick and weighs 212g (7.5oz). It features a soft rubber strap with a standard buckle. The straps are of course easily detachable by simple pressing a button on the case where the strap connects. These buttons are spring loaded and small enough that I can't imagine you'd ever accidentally detach a strap. If you did, I hope you put on steel-toed boots that morning becuase you'd probably lose the toe that breaks this things fall. While the detachable strap is a cool idea and true to the original, it does somewhat limit the ease of which aftermarket straps can be made for this piece.

The case is very nicely constructed, black, brushed and blasted Titanium textures and colours. Flat crystal with colourless AR coating. Two crowns located at 2 and 4 o'clock. The 4 o'clock crown is titanium with a rubber cap. It's a screw-down and is used to wind, set time and date. The 2 o'clock crown is protected but a flip up cage type affair. The cage swings out clockwise hinged at the 3 o'clock position. It is constructed from two pieces of Ti welded together. "DIVER 4000" is milled right into the cage. Looks great! The crown in the cage works the bezel. I will say that my piece has issues with the bezel which I will go into in further detail later. There is a faux He release valve at 10 o'clock.

The case back is solid Ti. With the following written in two concentric rings of text on the removable case back. "LIMITED HUBLOT GENEVE EDITION 893405 No 032/1000" on the outside ring and "MUSEE OCEANOGRAPHIQUE MONACO" (with proper accented E's) on the inside ring of text. Centered is an engraved tall ship and shield like symbol. The engravings are quite deep and look great.

The movement is an Asian 7750. I neglected to take any photos of it, but I can say that it's the decorated much the same as any Hublot rep. It features the stylized "H" on the rotor bridge "HUBLOT GENEVE" on the rotor itself. The sweep on mine is a bit jittery. Very probably due to the the seconds hand being quite large with a big blob of lume at the tip.

Speaking of lume, this thing glows like a torch. Great lume job on it from the factory. The dial and bezel don't glow quite a bright as the hands, but everything is still really bright.

So I do have one problem with the Diver. When mine arrived, the bezel was completely jammed. Wouldn't budge... What was worse, was it wasn't centred, triangle @ 12! So as you can understand, something needed to be done about that. To the laboratory! I was able to get the 7750 movement out quite easily. With the movement out, the bezel back is exposed. It's made from plastic, with plastic teeth... The 2 o'clock crown has a metal pinion gear that when turned, forces the bezel around with it being trapped by the case sides, crystal and watch dial. Unfortunately, the pinion gear seems to be glued onto the end of the stem connecting to the 2 o'clock crown. Without removing that gear, I couldn't get the bezel out to see what was jamming it. I made a judgement call before going down that road with the repair and simply used a set of screwdrivers to work the bezel around bit by bit until it was centred with the triangle @ 12.

It's a terrible design and one that's bound to fail at some point. One day when I have more time I'll have another go at fixing it properly, but until then the bezel and elaborate crown & crown guard are just for show... Now, I don't expect a lot of thought to go into these watches beyond making them look like the original as much as possible. That's how the rep biz works right now at least from my perspective. But I really wish that with the effort that goes into a super-rep watch like this, that just a little bit of extra thought could have been put into the bezel. I don't really ever use bezels so I'm not really missing it. Considering the watch cost me a VIP renewal fee... I'm a very happy man!

My warning to anyone with this watch would be to try and avoid using the bezel. Period... If it jams, good luck! Sure as hell don't force it with the crown as you'll strip those cheap plastic teeth on the bezel with little effort.

Issues notwithstanding, the Hublot Diver 4000m is a really great rep. It's a big one, but honestly I feel it wears a bit nicer that my smaller Big Bang All Black. Probably due to the different type of buckle. I find the Hublot deployant straps a bit uncomfortable. For reference I have 7.5" wrists.

Many thanks again to the administration team here on RWG for keeping this place so awesome. I'm more than happy to donate to the VIP cause to keep servers running. Of course a big thanks to WI's Mary and Rochest for the donation. While I didn't get to work with you on this watch, I of course have purchased from you both in the past and you remain one of my favourite TD's!

Anyway. Now, pictures...

8323620532_14948d9a76_b.jpg

8322561019_88ea53523c_b.jpg

8323620872_6983d6b53c_b.jpg

8323621436_768d881636_b.jpg

8322561713_cb7c6d6489_b.jpg

8322562155_9a0b79dfb2_b.jpg

8323622490_d6dfc30e6d_b.jpg

8323622824_a085a584c9_b.jpg

8322563129_82d3e13226_b.jpg

8323623594_ef3f8249f6_b.jpg

ChuckG

This lume glow like it's made out of nuclear stuff. Great watch, a bit big but still a nice one. Congrat!

Freepower

Amazing review thank do you have any wristshot ?