Sign in to follow this  
DomWash

New guy from South Africa

DomWash

Hi everyone.

My first post! I am a noob to the rep scene, and learning very quickly.

I just made my first purchase, using Silix. At first, I had chosen about 5 of the economy watches - so much to choose from! But then after doing some research on the forums, I learned from others who had begun this way and regretted it. I do however only have a $400 budget or the wife will get angry(ier), so I settled for just 2 watches:

1. Hublot Big Bang Limited Black Ceramic - http://www.silix-pri....oducts_id=4760

And because I wanted a Panerai but couldn't afford an expensive one, I found this Titanium automatic which looks like a good compromise between a cheaper version, and spending over $100 more, which I can't afford to do, or getting nothing:

2. http://www.silix-pri....oducts_id=4411

The Titanium of the Panerai should be heavier than the cheap steel they use on the cheaper versions, right? Also it doesn't say "Mineral Crystal", but "Synthetic Crystal". Not sure if there is a difference, or if this is similiar to the Sapphire Crystal (a guy can dream)... any knowledge here would be appreciated.

Loving this, and planning on building this hobby. Please let me know what you think of these choices, as I have ordered, but not yet paid, so may be able to change! I specifically want to know if anyone has experience with Panerais from Silix - are the more expensive options worth it for a Panerai? I'm aware a manual winding mechanism on a Panerai is more accuarate as a rep, but is it a better mechanism to automatic? Does the Sapphire Crystal AR make a huge difference?

Little about me - South African. Exposure to 'economy' reps by visiting flea markets and buying some overseas (mainly Canal st, New York). The reps I own: Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date, Breitling for Bentley, Breitling Navimeter, Breitling Transocean Unitime fantasy, TAG Monaco, TAG Carrera 17, mostly 21j cheapies etc.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here. Thanks!

Edited by DomWash

bmbaduk

Welcome to the group; I'm new to it myself...When I can't sleep I find reps to buy. I told the wife I'd stop looking for a 911 Cabriolet in favor of rep Rolies (much cheaper hobby)...still waiting for my Silix package to arrive.

PAB
welcome_zps293c12ce.gif

Electron17

Hello and welcome to RWG, which part of SA are you in? I am from the KZN north coast, hope you enjoy your watches when you get them. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Regards,

Jan

DomWash

I'm in Jo'burg. Thanks Jan!

DomWash

So I changed my Panerai choice at the advice of an experienced forum member. Now along with the HBB, I'll be getting the PAM 111H. An additional $50, a MUCH better quality watch than the cheap and cheerful rep I was originally getting. Thanks for the advice.

sequoia

So I changed my Panerai choice at the advice of an experienced forum member. Now along with the HBB, I'll be getting the PAM 111H. An additional $50, a MUCH better quality watch than the cheap and cheerful rep I was originally getting. Thanks for the advice.

Good choice! Lots of good advice on this forum.

scorpion

G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ Dobry, Dobrodošao, Vítejte, Bonvenon, Tervetuloa, Accueil, Fogadtatás, Velkomin, Selamat Datang, Powitanie, Bem-vindo, Välkommen and Welcome.

My advice is to leave here right now, dont look back just go away and forget you ever found this site.................

Or get your wallet ready for a serious spending spree!!!!!!

Electron17

Hi Dom,

If you ever come down to Durban let me know and I could possible meet up with you and show you my collection. I am only about a hour and a half from Durbs and we go there from time to time. Would like to show you my Hublots and AP watches.

Regards,

Jan

craftech

Nice to see some SAFFERS here, I'm from PTA. Would be interesting to know how many SAFFERS are members of RWG?

Kal-el

Welcome :)

Electron17

Nice to see some SAFFERS here, I'm from PTA. Would be interesting to know how many SAFFERS are members of RWG?

I think there are only 4 or 5. Maybe we should organise a get together somewhere.

Chinnyman

Sunny boonani

Electron17

Hi Chinny, where are you?

Chinnyman

England. I just have family there and went on hols to Cape Town last year.

I miss those Tennis Biscuits.

craftech

I think there are only 4 or 5. Maybe we should organise a get together somewhere.

Excellent idea

Mazz

welcome aboard

Chr1st0c

Centurion here

Hello peeps!

nuttcrac69

A very warm welcome from a fellow South African! You couldn't have ended up at a better place for knowledge and information! According to DHL site my first proper rep order is currently in Jhb and hopefully I get it by Tuesday. I am in the PE area.

Cheers!

Cobus

Electron17

Hi Christo, glad to meet you.

Regards,

Jan

DomWash

Good to see so many South Africans here!

A very warm welcome from a fellow South African! You couldn't have ended up at a better place for knowledge and information! According to DHL site my first proper rep order is currently in Jhb and hopefully I get it by Tuesday. I am in the PE area.

Cheers!

Cobus

Hey Cobus, let us know when your watches arrive (PICS!) and if DHL charged you customs fees. Which TD did you order with?

Chr1st0c

Yo peeps

Any fellow south africans know of any rep friendly watchsmiths in Pretoria area

Thanx

Christo

DomWash

BUMP. I'm also interested in the Johannesburg area... but will drive to Pretoria if needs be.

craftech

I'm doing most watch work & mods myself, however if I don't have a specific tool I use Gold Spot's watchmaker services. Gold Spot Jewelers is situated in Monument Park Shopping centre (<1km off the R21), Pretoria. The watchmaker comes in every Friday, collect the watches and deliver the following Friday. I don't have contact no with me as its walking distance from me - will check up and post later.

craftech

Here goes:

Physical Address: Shop 46 Monument Park Shopping Centre, 73 Skilpad Street, Monument Park, Pretoria

Postal Address: PO Box 25726, Monument Park, Pretoria

Postal Code: 0105

Telephone: +27(0)123461720

Mobile: +27(0)832278443

Fax: +27(0)123461721

Email: [email protected]

Directions: From R21 take Elephant Road. At Circle turn left into Skilpad Road. The Monument Shopping Centre is situated on the left.

Latitude: -25.80219187977983

Longitude: 28.233950137073407

Trading Hours

Monday – Friday 09:00 – 17:00

Saturday 09:00 – 13:00

Type everything you need to do and place with watch in envelope they provide (I usually state: fake 'brand' watch)