Sign in to follow this  
pierrepooh

President Day-Date from Toro just came in today

pierrepooh

Chance to use a new lens I also just got, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. Not the most appropriate optics for this purpose; was interesting to see how it performed. Lighting was tough, as always . . . haven't caught up yet with the master watch photographers around here.

Threw away hundreds of frames in 3 different lighting arrangements before I finally got this shot that brings out the dial texture aiming a desk lamp with my hand . . . I was surprised to see that the hands have the same texture, it is not visible to my unaided eye at all. I forgot to shoot the rehaut, it is not bad but far from perfect. I'll do that tomorrow . . . :help3:

Also this is the first batch of raws I converted using DxO. Not sure I like it entirely as of yet, there is quite a bit of tweaking that it seems like you need to do even though it is marketed as near-full-automation.

The clasp is a weak point on this rep, as is the weight, it is on the light side. Considering gen Presidents are platinum (?) makes the weight an instant giveaway.

president2%20008_DxO_rs.JPG

HeavyKrush

Looks great.

yoyo123

Classic! Definitely Platinum. You got yourself a 50k watch there, wear it wisely!

Luthier

The biggest giveaway is "diamonds". Simple batons would make the watch perfect.

brokenchains

Wow, I love that color!!!

BadPickle

Great that mate, lovely clear pic too.

Wear it well.

dakota

More pic's please! I ordered this exact watch but from Marvellous

FLArch

I think it looks super and honest, ifnyounare the type that can pull off a blingy face them I don't see an issue with the diamonds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dmpmassive

That is a f*cking unbelievable.... Lens! Congratz on the purchase of the... Lens! :D

Seriously nice glass...

boneyjr
The biggest giveaway is "diamonds". Simple batons would make the watch perfect.

+1

pierrepooh

More pics as promised (and as requested). Really struggled with the lighting for this, definitely not my best work. Is there a trick to "posing" the piece in good positions for shooting some of the other angles like the back and the clasp? Had a hard time =_=

daydate3 024_DxO_rs.JPG

daydate3 028_DxO_rs.JPG

daydate3 041_DxO_rs.JPG

daydate3 045_DxO_rs.JPG

daydate3 056_DxO_rs.JPG

daydate4 004_DxO_rs.JPG

J.Eric

Very Nice!!

pierrepooh

Here's my Honest2God no-BS assessment of this piece after wearing it for a week. Overall, I like it a lot. Doesn't go with t-shirt and shorts, but looks awesome with a shirt and tie. I do find that the blue face requires a bit of care in avoiding major color clash with other elements of your ensemble.

PROS:

- Gorgeous dial face

- No dust under the crystal

- Pretty nice power reserve, haven't measured it scientifically but it keeps running at least 36 hours easily

- No problems setting time or day or date

- Very good installation of cyclops (compared to my hulk sub rep which has some sloppy glue around the edges of its cyclops)

- Nice case and nice bezel

- I'm not an expert in crowns but this one looks and feels good to me

- Winding via crown feels fine

- Timekeeping pretty accurate

CONS:

- It's a steel rep of a platinum gen . . .

- rehaut engravings look rather subpar to my eye

- the bracelet doesn't have that "luxurious" feeling; some of the corners are finished a bit on the sharp side; you can see a lot of dirty grease stains on the insides of the links in the pictures

- the finish on the clasp is, frankly, pretty bad

- the clasp latch is a wee bit more sticky than I think it ought to be

- the cutouts where the bracelet pins attach to the case lugs (I'm sure there's a specific term for this and I don't know it) are a bit sloppy in the machining and rough edges can be seen and felt

UNKNOWNS:

- The movement is allegedly an SA3135 which Toro assured me doesn't have the afflictions of its ill-reputed predecessor. I haven't had the caseback off yet, can't confirm, or say how it looks.