Sign in to follow this  
KBH

How to: Changing stripped Radiomir case tube.

KBH

Stripped crown and tubes are very common on Rep Radiomir cases. Particularly the 183's it seems. Replacement is very easy and straight forward once you have the correct parts. The tubes are available from Cousins and they are Tube K in the catalog. You may need to also replace the crown which can be sourced from any dealer who is willing to help. I used Ruby and had it added to another watch order so it was very cheap.

First, of course you need to remove the crown and stem. This done by unscrewing the small screw as shown, about one and one half to two turns. Be careful not to unscrew it too far or you'll create new problems.

DSCN3413.jpg

DSCN3415.jpg

After removing the stem, I used a pair of pliers that I find invaluable for grabbing small pieces. They are actually dental pliers for pulling teeth (No idea where they originally came from). So find something that can grab solid without crushing the tube and breaking in in two. Wiggle it slowly. It's a pressed fit. It doesn't unscrew. With a little wiggling it will break loose and slip out. Notice that you grab by the threads, not the solid ring part. That's part of the case.

DSCN3417.jpg

DSCN3418.jpg

DSCN3420.jpg

Now you'll see that the new tube from Cousins is longer. Don't worry, it's just a much better quality part and will still fit in. The o-ring isn't used so you can throw it away. I used a litle dab of Loc-Tite thread locker but I really don't know if that is necessary since it's made to be a pressed fit. Once pressed in tightly by hand I suggest tapping it lightly using a piece of wood or plastic being very careful not to damage it.

DSCN3421.jpg

I took the movement out but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done with the movement still in place.

DSCN3422.jpg

DSCN3423.jpg

It's really a very simple repair once you have sourced the parts. I understand this tube size is used on several other reps so here's the dimensions from Cousin's catalog in case anyone can use them.

Tubek.jpg

sconehead

Great tuto/info KB...:lol:

greg_r

Real nice tute - thanks, mate. I have a feeling I'm going to be needing this one myself at some point! :lol:

dingle

very nice KBH. well done! :lol:

cybee

Thanks for the nice toot...Great Job! :lol:

SirPsychoSexy

great, ive got a stripped 183 in need of this

Brightlight

If it's a bit tight it should be able to be tapped out from the inside after removing the movement. If it's really tight a small bolt or similar close to the tube diameter to go into the hole, a socket to go over the tube on the outside and a G Clamp or similar to provide power, the tube can be pressed out.

OmegaSTI

I am going to bring this old thread back from hibernation...

I recently bought a nice PAM black seal 183 ultimate from M2M here, the tube is stripped so I was looking to find a new tube and attempt to replace it. The Cousins site still shows the part as available so I went ahead and ordered the tube and the two seal parts.

Can I use the seal gaskets here? I am not sure why the above description thread says not to use them!

Thanks!

paulvillo

I am going to bring this old thread back from hibernation...

I recently bought a nice PAM black seal 183 ultimate from M2M here, the tube is stripped so I was looking to find a new tube and attempt to replace it. The Cousins site still shows the part as available so I went ahead and ordered the tube and the two seal parts.

Can I use the seal gaskets here? I am not sure why the above description thread says not to use them!

Thanks!

Alright gents, one more shot to revive this!

I'm in search of a new case tube to replace my 292J HFac PVD crown for the Noob Ceramic one.

The crown is already with me thanks to Angus, who kindly sourced it.

Now, according to my watch smith the original HFac crown internal diameter is 3.27 while the Noob is at 3.75mm - again, his measurements so not sure if this is correct.

I am looking to find a proper crown tube replacement but still no luck.

I've tried Cousins (https://www.cousinsuk.com/) but can't find it, maybe I'm not searching correctly.

If anyone could please chime in, I'd be very very grateful :)

Cheers!

------------- UPDATED -------------

Alright, found out that what I'm looking for are Case Pendant Tubes ;)

But if you go to the "Watch Parts Branded" section you'll see no Panerai there.... ETA 6497 brings no luck either....

Still digging.... :treadmill:

Edited by paulvillo