Sign in to follow this  
TRANSPORTER

What exactly is a fantasy watch

TRANSPORTER

Hi guys as a noob I thought I'd better place this one here before I'm shot down in a fireball for being stoopid!!! I've seen this phrase a few times now " that's just a fantasy watch" now does this mean either it's a design that a particular gen maker has never designed or made or does it mean that it's a fantasy watch because the gen watch is seriously seriously expensive and so it just becomes a fantasy to own a gen watch?

Cheers for any answers. First rep ordered now awaiting arrival, Sixil so far has been A1

dingle
it's a design that a particular gen maker has never designed

this

jeffw69

A fantasy watch is one were the rep makers took their creative skills and put them to work.

Meaning, the fantasy model is not actually available in Gen form.

RichardMiami

We generally refer to a watch as 'fantasy' when the rep maker puts a brand name on a watch which the brand NEVER produced.

While all reps have flaws, the term 'fantasy' is reserved for the special cases where the watch is not even close, in fact, no attempt was made at being close.

I hope this helps.

Monty010

a fantasy watch is a watch that was never made, it may look a lot like the real thing, case wise etc but it will have a wrong color dial, hands, diamonds etc

some may look really nice but don't expect anyone that has any notion of watches to believe that is a real rolex, omega etc.

and silix has some nice stuff and price wise not bad either

greg_r

What they said.

Although there are occasions when there's a fantasy model that's particularly nice - just not a copy of a gen.

I've always thought that the below, for instance, was the prettiest watch that Panerai never made ;)

radiomirrg-060811.JPG

Admittedly, though, this is a rare exception - most 'fantasy' models are crap.

Corv99

but bear in mind not to be put off, if not being really close to Gen's bothers you.. some of these are stunning, and should have been made..

plus remember most people wouldn't know either..

Higs

Fantasy....

16E9DF09-98E6-4945-A2E0-09EC3C1B7F8B-575-000000E937EDC1B1.jpg

Nightmare.....

1.jpg

houndoggie

there are fantasy watches like above...

then there are nightmare watches like this:

ufanta2_zps90385ed6.jpg

conx

Many of the members round here have a lot of fantasies, and only some of them are about watches :)

But when it is about a watch, it relates to a watch that a clever chinese man decided to stick a brand logo on that bears no resemblance to a real watch from that brand.

Electron17

What they said.

Although there are occasions when there's a fantasy model that's particularly nice - just not a copy of a gen.

I've always thought that the below, for instance, was the prettiest watch that Panerai never made ;)

radiomirrg-060811.JPG

Greg, maybe you should send this watch to Paneria and they could rep it!

TRANSPORTER

People, I thank you for all the wise answers, and the speed at which they are given, I kinda like the no flame zone, as I'm now removing my body armour and helmet haha, and now realise that my first rep watch is a fantasy watch DOH!!!!

Not to worry as one of you said most people won't even know, and anyway I'm just dipping my toes into the pond of rep watches so I don't mind on the first one, call it experience!!!

HWG

People, I thank you for all the wise answers, and the speed at which they are given, I kinda like the no flame zone, as I'm now removing my body armour and helmet haha, and now realise that my first rep watch is a fantasy watch DOH!!!!

Not to worry as one of you said most people won't even know, and anyway I'm just dipping my toes into the pond of rep watches so I don't mind on the first one, call it experience!!!

Dont worry if its a fantasy or not, if you like, go for it! Plain and simple!

solkryssare

Another good example is the Rolex GMT II C, coke and Pepsi. It's out in rep form and almost all Rolex lovers wants it out in gen form but no such thing yet.....

Higs

Out of interest, what is it?

I have the AP White Diver shown above (although that's not my pic). I knew it was a 'fantasy watch' when I bought it but just like it.

Monty010

ufanta2_zps90385ed6.jpg

Love the yellow, link please... Lol

Higs

ufanta2_zps90385ed6.jpg

Love the yellow, link please... Lol

Not-sure-if-serious.jpg

AS90

Frodo wears one in Lord of the rings.

Nisv

You'll love the Panerai's, Transporter :D

wat44

Fantasy replica = model never made by gen company

Fantasy watch = gen you want but beyond your means

dmpmassive

You'll sometimes see the word "Fantasy" used to describe a complication on a rep that is made to look like the gen, but is none functioning. Take for example the JLC Geographic. There is a timezone wheel which on the gen which will change the second timezone as you rotate it. On the rep it doesn't do anything. However it made to look like the gen.

wat44

Nope. Correct word there is faux

dmpmassive

Nope. Correct word there is faux

I've seen people use the word "fantasy" rather than "faux" in that context frequently enough that it merits mention. Even if those using it are ignorant of the correct word...

I agree with you though. Faux is the correct term.

black263

What they said.

radiomirrg-060811.JPG

Greg, maybe you should send this watch to Paneria and they could rep it!

Is this one you made yourself? If not is it really available?

964boy

Exactly that. FANTASY