Sign in to follow this  
KBH

First impressions of a ver3 Submariner from WM9

KBH

I ordered 2 Sea Dwellers way back so long ago I can't remember. One for me and one for a good friend. We paid the full balance 5 or 6 months ago to maintain our place which was way up towards the head of the line. Well my buddy was getting a little nervous since WM9 George has totally missed several deadlines. BK came through like a champ for me and swapped out one of the SD's for a V3 Sub. I've had it for a couple of days now and had a chance to get a good look and feel for it. (Edit: Please don't ask BK for favors because of this. I've had a very good relationship with him for a couple of years and I don't want to cause him any problems. I'm sure this was a one time goodwill gesture from a friend.)

Here's my first impressions:

First, it is assembled absolutely to perfection. The date wheel is centered and the date snaps over at midnight. The crystal is installed with the cyclops lined up exactly where it's supposed to be and the bezel insert and pearl are also lined up properly. The insert is recessed in the bezel just like the gen. The bezel has a nice click to it. It's a little tight around part of the circle but it's interesting that it turns easier if you push down on the bezel ring and turn. It's obviously built different than the current rep's and I think it's probabaly built much more similar to the gen bezel assembly. The sel's are tight as humanly possible. The crown and tube, I assume are BK's, that he had custom made, are smooth as a gen. And the winding, date change, time setting are all crisp and smooth. In everything mechanical I would have to say it's the best rep I have ever handled.

Here's a few pix to whet your appetite:

DSCN4026.jpg

DSCN4027.jpg

Now I've heard complaints about the bracelet feeling cheap, tinny, with sharp edges, etc. Well to me, that is part of what Rolex is. They've mastered the art of making bracelets that are light, comfortable and will last 40 years. Too me that's a huge plus and kudos to their engineering and design teams. Everytime I put on an Omega it feels like you're carrying an extra 1/2 pound on your wrist.

Too be honest, the edges could be smoothed down a tiny bit but that's so easy, I wouldn't consider it much of a fault. Other than that I love the bracelet. And the stamping and etching on the clasp and end links are all crisp and correct for the model.

DSCN4046.jpg

The Watchmaterial pearl is a $20 upgrade and I'd highly recommend it. I had forgotten how close to gen they were until I compared this one to the gen on my Sea Dweller. It's 90% perfect.

DSCN4041.jpg

Bk also offers the Clark crystal upgrade at no extra cost. You lose the etched crown at 6:00 that is too large anyway and you get a crystal that is the exact same height as the gen Sub. Bk has ordered special size crystal gaskets to insure this.I would also highly recommend this.

DSCN4039.jpg

And of course, who can forget the infamous Rolex crown guards that nobody can get right and should be so simple. I think they did an excellent job here. No more needing to take your watch apart to file down the CG's. About time!

DSCN3995.jpg

Sorry, no lume shots but it's also excellent. Easy to read all night and one of the best in my watch box.

My short time with this rep has also given me new respect for my noob sub that I got early in my rep journey and modded it every way I could think of. I haven't worn it much since it always seemed like it was just a little smaller than it should be. Well, I measured both the cases and to my surprise, they are identical. (Edit: After measuring the insert closely, I believe there is no difference in insert sizes either).

Put the two together and it really shows what a great rep the noob/mbw rep can be for $100 with a few mods.

DSCN4012.jpg

Here's my current threesome. The SSD with gen insert and pearl, the WM9 Sub and the noob LV. I would never be ashamed to wear any of these and love them all. I'm going to hate to lose the new Sub but I may end up with it again after the WM9 Sea Dweller arrives. I'm sure I will be happy with either one of them.

And finally. Are they worth the $700+ dollars it's going to cost in the future? To some, to many, yes, I'm sure. To me? No! They are great $400 replicas. Maybe even $500. But do I like it better than my modded SSD with $150 gen insert and pearl? Not really. It would be a toss up.

greg_r

Great review! I'll confess that much as I like most Rolex models, I wouldn't be tempted to spend that kinda money on a WM9 - even if they were big enough for me. Looks like a helluva watch, though

dingle

WOW! great review KBH.....too bad your a mod....:)....this would have been a great review to enter in the giveaway.

I would like dibs on the $100 sub if you ever decide to sell it.....:)

KinCaidk

Looks great, B. But I have to agree about the amount of money that this baby cost.. It is just way to much for me.

lately I have been having a thing for rollies, so I might be getting me a noobmariner or similar.

Who has the best sub? :)

KBH

Whadda mean I can't enter. I resign (just kidding)

My $100 noob Sub now also has a $25 BK crown and tube, $14 insert with the right color and and AjoeSmitth high beat movement. So it's really a $200 Sub now. Oh yeah, and a SSD bracelet. But DB, if I decide to sell it, you know you'll be first on the list.

AllergyDoc

Nice job.

They're simple yet classic watches.

ebzen02

KBH.. I am in the same position as you. Did you have to pay extra to get the WM9 V3?

KBH

Ebzen,

No, other than $20 for the WM pearl and he's charging $20 for polishing the roughness out of the cases. Don't know exactly what that's about but I wasn't going to complain about it. I figured it was worth the extra work for him.

I have my doubts he's going to be willing to swap these out for other people. I've had a good relationship with him for a couple of years and he really just did this as a favor to me to help keep the stress from my friend who was getting a little anxious about whether he'd ever see his watch. Now I'm thinking it might not have been such a good idea to mention that part. Also I've been after him for a v3 case for 6 weeks and he hasn't had any extras so it's doubtful.

Maybe I'll think about editing that.

AustinTech

He certainly does a good job of getting these repped to perfection - or as close as you can get in the rep world.

Great review.

prestigewatchco

Really can't see these as close to gen as people would have you beleive I honestly don't see them that much better than the Noob or the Milguass factory subs and as for waiting 12 months and paying in stage payments it must be a fetish

KBH

Your right they're all quite good. It's just a matter of paying a whole lot more that that small % better. It's like anything else in life. Those last couple of percentage points are always the ones that cost the most.

I can hold the BK and the noob at arms length and I can't tell the difference in looks or quality. But when you look closer and feel them and wind them and screw in the crowns, look at the details, that's when the difference comes out. The things that nobody else but a fanatic would know.

trailboss99

I'd pay 400 but 700? No way. The only WM9s I'd pay that sort of cash for is the YM or one of his FG DD/DJs.

Even the TT ain't worth that kinda money tho it is very nice.

Col.

ebzen02

@KBH..Thanks.. Honestly, I like the SSD a bit more so I don't mind the wait. I have a similar situation, though, but it is not a friend but my father-in-law..yikes..

Edited by ebzen02

KBH

I understand that. You don't want to piss off the in laws. I know BK doesn't have any extras at the moment. I just ended up buying a v3 case from a member on the other RWG. (What are they, RWG2 now?)

Give it a couple of weeks and then maybe shoot him a nice polite PM. You never know.

greg_r
I just ended up buying a v3 case from a member on the other RWG. (What are they, RWG2 now?)

For as long as I've been on the boards, they've been known as RWGJr or RWG2. I see no reason to change that :rofl:

dingle
I just ended up buying a v3 case from a member on the other RWG. (What are they, RWG2 now?)

For as long as I've been on the boards, they've been known as RWGJr or RWG2. I see no reason to change that :rofl:

+1. no need to confuse anyone. :rofl:

KBH

+1. no need to confuse anyone. :rofl:

Thanks for unconfusing me!