Sign in to follow this  
barkingtoad

movement inside

barkingtoad

How do i know what movement is inside my sub ???

What tells me

greg_r

Nothing on the outside will tell you. The description from the dealer should have told you - the only other way to find out is to open the caseback and post a photo.

Edit: I see you bought it from Robert. Good! :) Go back and check the description of the watch on the original listing from which you bought it. That will tell you what movement is fitted - Robert can always be relied upon for accurate descriptions...

KBH

Difficult without taking the back off. Take a picture and we'll be happy to comment.

The 2836 and clones have a distinctively different winding. As the mainspring gets more wound it gives more resistance. The a21j you can wind till fully wound and still feel very little resistance. But this is very difficult to tell unless you've played with a few of them.

barkingtoad

i ordered swiss 2836 , then read that they dont exist so was a little confused

trailboss99

Who told you they don't exist mate?

Col.

greg_r
i ordered swiss 2836 , then read that they dont exist so was a little confused

They're becoming rarer in reps but they most certainly do exist - and Robert is one of the few dealers whom I would most certainly trust to supply exactly what he says he's going to supply.

barkingtoad

Col.

think i read that they were all clones so dont ask for swiss eta because you wont get it ??

Am i wrong have i miss understood

trailboss99

No, not miss understood, fed wrong infomation by someone who thinks he knows WTF he's talking about I dare say.

Yes, they are geting rare but Robert and Mary at least can get the gen Swiss MVT. I also notice some reps are now coming out with SW200s in them as well which is a Swiss MVT and just as good as the gen ETA. Since there is no clone of the SW200 you also know for sure it's Swiss! You will see many more SW200s and the chrono equivelent in the next few months as they take over more and more from the ETAs. You will allways be able to get an ETA engined watch tho.

Col.

greg_r

Col.

think i read that they were all clones so dont ask for swiss eta because you wont get it ??

hmm - I suspect that it was the writer of the post you've read that was confused. :)

There are some instances (and some dealers) where you cannot not be sure of getting a gen ETA (in fact there are some fairly high-end reps that are no longer available with anything other than clone movements), but a blanket statement that 'they're all clones' is incorrect.

Gen ETA movements are less commonly-available in reps these days, but they do still appear in some of the really good models - and the watch you've bought is going to be one such example. Trust me - if you've bought a watch from Robert that was promised with a gen ETA 2836, that's what you'll have ;)

dingle

Col.

hmm - I suspect that it was the writer of the post you've read that was confused. ;)

There are some instances (and some dealers) where you cannot not be sure of getting a gen ETA (in fact there are some fairly high-end reps that are no longer available with anything other than clone movements), but a blanket statement that 'they're all clones' is incorrect.

Gen ETA movements are less commonly-available in reps these days, but they do still appear in some of the really good models - and the watch you've bought is going to be one such example. Trust me - if you've bought a watch from Robert that was promised with a gen ETA 2836, that's what you'll have ;)

+1.

robert is gold. :)

GC

I can vouch for Mary's description, I ordered an ETA and got an ETA!

barkingtoad

Fcukin hell !! what a hornets nest ive shaken are you all related to Robert :rofl: :rofl:

dingle
Fcukin hell !! what a hornets nest ive shaken are you all related to Robert :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

no, but we have seen many times where Robert was questioned about his procedure and quality and every time he has been true to his word. :rofl:

greg_r

BT: it may seem like it, but there's only a handful of dealers that get this particular issue right - not necessarily due to an intent to mislead, but often due to lack of knowledge or misinformation from the factory.

trailboss99

There are only two dealers on this board I would buy a gen ETA from, Mary and Robert. Anyone else is a gamble for the reasons above.

Col.

cybee
How do i know what movement is inside my sub ???

What tells me

What will tell you is after you've handled and looked at a few movements up close you should get an idea of the difference. The clone movements are great but some dealers have exploited this by falsely advertising and selling them as genuine Eta movements to unsuspecting buyers.

Eta movements are still available, it sounds like you will have one in your new watch. :rofl:

Tag_luvr

There are only two dealers on this board I would buy a gen ETA from, Mary and Robert. Anyone else is a gamble for the reasons above.

Col.

[/quote

what is the website for Robert?

greg_r
what is the website for Robert?

Robert (Prestigewatchco) does not have a website. You can either choose from the watches he lists in his subforum here, or do what the rest of us do and send him a PM with details of the watch you want - he'll then get back to you with details and pricing.