Sign in to follow this  
AM_Wood

New Member from Woods Hole, Massachusetts.

AM_Wood

Hello fellow watch nuts,

I retired from the world famous Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in 2008. When working there I spent a lot of time on oceanographic research ships and visited some great locations and saw a lot of marine wildlife. Before that I was a Naval Aviator from college graduation until 1972.

Watches... I have wanted a Santos Dumont watch since reading his biography. It also happens to be a classy looking watch. I am hoping this forum will help me buy a great replica. I can't or don't want to pay the full cost for a Cartier, even though my wife said it was ok to do so. I tend to bang my watch faces on door jams and other protuberances, and doing so with a $2k plus watch would make me feel sick.

I bought a Timegrapher a few months ago, and have been checking my friends high end watches for them.

Presently my best watch is the Invicta Pro Diver with the Sellita SW200-1 movement. I understand that most watch collectors hate Invictas. On the Timegrapher it is very good. No beat error and +8 sec Dial up, 6 up and 9 up. It is only a month old, when it gets to 9 months I might slow it down to +3 sec.

I plan to have some fun here.

Thank you for letting me join.

Nick Witzell

Edited by AM_Wood

dalboy

Hi and welcome to the forum

A very nice introduction ....your gonna love it here..your journey to bankrupsy has begun. :giggle:

Dal...

jacabean

I am from Mass. also . message me with any questions ? I have been at this game for a little bit now. I got a good idea about the good , the bad and the ugly !

NCRich

Very,very cool intro. Look forward to you participating in the madness!

BadPickle

Hello and welcome from England.

Nice first post, sound like a chap who's out to get poor!!

Good luck in your quest!!

JohnPilot

Welcome among us.

I travel Mass a few times, it a beautiful place to live.

Have fun and keep on posting.

scorpion

G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ Dobry, Dobrodošao, Vítejte, Bonvenon, Tervetuloa, Accueil, Fogadtatás, Velkomin, Selamat Datang, Powitanie, Bem-vindo, Välkommen and Welcome.........................

My advice is to leave here right now, dont look back just go away and forget you ever found this site.................

Or get your wallet ready for a serious spending spree!!!!!!

And make sure you have a good long read, you can get some great information from this forum, all the answers are here if you look hard enough!

Invictas have hardly any fans around here and most people hate them. I own 4 models and mine are all great watches with superb build quality, just don't tell anyone!

trailboss99

Welcome mate, there will be a few jealous folks around here of your past career. You still live in The Hole?

Electron17

Hello Nick and welcome to RWG, hope you find some good watches to but and enjoy wearing them

From Jan in sunny South Africa.

Mazz

Did you find the titanic ?

Welcome aboard mate. A good place to start reading is the noob link in my signature?

jeffw69

Welcome from PA.

AM_Wood

Did you find the titanic ?

Welcome aboard mate. A good place to start reading is the noob link in my signature?

I was not on that cruise. I am friends with, and have been on other cruises with many of the people in the Bob Ballard book and video. They also found the Bismark.

Nick

Mazz

Very cool awesome to have you onboard here mate.

tesmith2112

I've been to Martha's Vineyard a bunch over the past 20 years and always take the ferry from Woods Hole. Wasn't some part of the movie Jaw's filmed there?

goodgood

Welcome to this crazy world, Nick. I went to school in Boston, been to Woods Hole many time, lived down the cape every summer. Great area from spring to autumn. winter? mehh!

spboudart

Welcome,

I went quite a few time to the Woods hole oceanographic institute, back in the early 90s when I was a cadet at Mass Maritime.

AM_Wood

Welcome,

I went quite a few time to the Woods hole oceanographic institute, back in the early 90s when I was a cadet at Mass Maritime.

Hi,

I made one cruise out of Toulon on a German research ship who's name is eluding me. I bought some great stuff there. And I did manage to not get the gift that keeps on giving. :giggle: Great food and pleasant weather.

Are you a deck or engineering officer? Are you still getting your feet wet or dockside?

One of my friends Fred Thwaits was teaching an oceaography course at the boat school in his spare time.

spboudart

I made one cruise out of Toulon on a German research ship who's name is eluding me. I bought some great stuff there. And I did manage to not get the gift that keeps on giving. :giggle: Great food and pleasant weather.

Are you a deck or engineering officer? Are you still getting your feet wet or dockside?

One of my friends Fred Thwaits was teaching an oceaography course at the boat school in his spare time.

Deck, I've been sailing as Master on a coastal tanker for the last 11 years and going to Toulon regularly.

Never took Oceanography course, when I was there they was only to major, deck or engine. Now they do teach other stuff.