Sign in to follow this  
jerkstore

Can you re-seat a cyclops?

jerkstore

Say you have a watch where the Cyclops is too close to the edge of the crystal, so it doesn't center over the date window. Is it possible to pop the magnifier off and re-center it? At RWI, DarthAlex used a butane torch to do that for his subasaurus, but I'm wondering if it can be accomplished in an oven. And how would you reattach the cyclops?

Any advice? Or would you just source a better crystal?

Luthier

Just source the better glass, avoid the hassle. But yes, it's possible to replace cyclop.

10:10 Watch Repair

Say you have a watch where the Cyclops is too close to the edge of the crystal, so it doesn't center over the date window. Is it possible to pop the magnifier off and re-center it? At RWI, DarthAlex used a butane torch to do that for his subasaurus, but I'm wondering if it can be accomplished in an oven. And how would you reattach the cyclops?

Any advice? Or would you just source a better crystal?

You can heat it over a gas stove too.

You'll burn the adhesive underneath and have to clean it up with acetone. So if you have an AR crystal you will probably damage the AR too. Then get some UV glass adhesive and reapply. It's not that easy to get the cyclops in the correct position, factories have jigs for it.

TT88

+1 chris.

i got mine off without heat, i slice it off with a razor blade.

getting it off is easy, putting is hard

Indigo38

after much fussing about with a stanley blade (not the knife just the blade) and trying to slide it under the cyclops unsuccessfully - i resorted to getting my cigar lighter (jet flame) and heating the cyclops - 3 seconds later it dropped off and i cleaned off the residue - finished :D