Sign in to follow this  
Harriskitty

Seconds at 6+9 ?

Harriskitty

Ok so I'm trying to get an explanation regarding seconds at 6 and 9 I understand it's to do with the sub dials on chrono watches. But what I wanted to know is are the hands on the sub dials fixed to the six and nine positions ???? Surely they spin ? Sorry to ask such a basic question I have used the search bar but haven't stumbled across anything.

black263

It refers to the location of the seconds sub dial. Is it at the bottom of the face (6 O'Clock) or on the left side (9 O'Clock)

Harriskitty

Excellent case closed thankyou

black263

I'm sure that the more experienced will give more information, but as I understand it, different movements have different standard positions for the seconds sub-dial. So, for example you may have a movement that would usually have the seconds at 9. If this is fitted in a rep which also has the seconds at 9 then that is straightforward. If you want to fit that movement into a rep which needs the seconds at 6, additional gearing is needed to transfer the action to that location. = more complicated, more to go wrong, and you need to leave space between the movement and the dial to accommodate the extra gearing. With a date watch, that can leave the date indication sunk below the dial, looking wrong.

I await with interest being shot down by the experts!!

Harriskitty

Cheers for that bud, it all sounds fairly logical so hopefully you won't get torn to pieces lol. I've been doing plenty of reading on here the past few days and have read other posts talking about sunken dates so you've answered that for me as well cheers