Sign in to follow this  
Panerai1964

What makes a good replica watch

Panerai1964

Price like everything else to start. I bought an Omega Railmaster last year from Timeshops cost £80 and its as good as anything I've bought before in terms of time keeping, not sure what movement its got in it but it must be, I assume, a relativily cheap chinese movement. The dial could be better (looks a bit papery) but over all I'm pleased with what I got for the money.

If it packs in I'll just get another one because its not even worth having it repaired. I suppose I could have bought a cheap seiko or citizen for the money but I'm not sure I would got anything other than a quartz. The TS railmaster has a good auto movement.

WatchPictures027_zpseb96b8bb.jpg

Realism

Are you trying to get to "50" posts by making all these topics??? Just have to ask....

jeffw69

My opinion, when you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Unless, of course, you get lucky.

I have found in the low end the quality keepers are far and few between.

I think it is better to start off getting the "good" version.

My opinion, of cause. :D

stewzzy

your opinion is right jeff. buy high end - enjoy for longer. not to say that a wee cheapy wont do you a turn but usually the higher end stuff I have enjoyed for longer.

Panerai1964

Realism

If that was the case I could get the posts much quicker and easier (without having to think of anything new or different or interesting everytime ) by just posting all the comments needed for the big 50 on one or two threads. Take a look at the Seiko Divers topic, I could have easily got a good 20 posts out of that, I only actually made 3 comments.

Would you prefer me to not post anything? I think all the topics I have posted so far have been interesting and valid. Just have a look how may developed into hot topics.

Realism

I mean do you really have to ask these kind of question that could be found in the FAQ with an addition of common sense?

Panerai1964

There's nothing in the FAQ's about SEIKO Diver's, Garrard watches, the Jager Le Coultre Compressor watch....etc

Crespo
I mean do you really have to ask these kind of question that could be found in the FAQ with an addition of common sense?

Give it a rest.

He is asking for opinions not direct questions. Lots of people have different ideas as to what makes a good rep. Some prefer movement and will sacrifice accuracy for a better movement others can't see the point in a gen ETA over an Asian clone. I etc etc etc

jeffw69

Give it a rest.

He is asking for opinions not direct questions. Lots of people have different ideas as to what makes a good rep. Some prefer movement and will sacrifice accuracy for a better movement others can't see the point in a gen ETA over an Asian clone. I etc etc etc

And you are?

houndoggie

There are very few hidden gems amongst rep watches. If it is good and inexpensive it is usually well known and well reviewed.

greg_r

What's the problem, guys? The OP has made a reasonable enough statement with this topic..

FWIW that cheapie railmaster isn't bad at all for the dough. Although I've gotten rid of all of my less-satisfactory reps (only a few of which were cheapies, incidentally), there's still several cheapies in my collection - all of which get worn regularly.

The point is, I guess, that it's much harder to buy a good cheapie than it is a good $300 watch - you have to be that much more discerning and there's only a fairly limited range of worthwhile models.

Here's my personal favourite sub-$100 watch...

radiomirrg-060811.JPG

arancini

Firmly in the "spend more now, pay less later" camp.

Of course, some want to test the look of the watch on their wrist first, so buy the cheaper version.

Myself, I've always gone straight to buying the better rep.

No regrets.

Crespo

Give it a rest.

And you are?

My name is Neil

I live in Bournemouth (UK)

I am 35

My favourite colour is blue.

I support Chelsea

I like spaghetti bolognaise

I drive a Mercedes Benz CLK

I have dog that I am quite sure is retarded

I have a 3 yr old son and a long suffering wife.

Hopefully this clears things up for you but if you have any further irrelevant questions please feel free to ask.

Edited by Crespo

Crespo
What's the problem, guys? The OP has made a reasonable enough statement with this topic..

FWIW that cheapie railmaster isn't bad at all for the dough. Although I've gotten rid of all of my less-satisfactory reps (only a few of which were cheapies, incidentally), there's still several cheapies in my collection - all of which get worn regularly.

The point is, I guess, that it's much harder to buy a good cheapie than it is a good $300 watch - you have to be that much more discerning and there's only a fairly limited range of worthwhile models.

Here's my personal favourite sub-$100 watch...

radiomirrg-060811.JPG

That is a lot of bang for the buck. It's amazing what you can get for such little money sometimes

Crespo

Sapphire, AR, and good lume is worth extra to me. However I often wonder if an ETA movement is worth the extra money as it is not unusual to find a second hand ETA in a new rep. If I was going to have a Swiss movement I would be more comfortable with a sellita movement.

Saying that an Asian clone with a good service can be just as good.

I think the moral is buy the best you can but don't worry to much about a movement upgrade. And until they sort out waterproofing don't throw Steinhart or Mido money at a rep.

racingclub

Give it a rest.

And you are?

My name is Neil

I am 35

I support Chelsea

Hopefully this clears things up for you but if you have any further irrelevant questions please feel free to ask.

I'd maybe edit some of this. A 2 second google turned up your name, address and mobile phone number.

Edited by racingclub

Crespo

Give it a rest.

And you are?

My name is Neil

I am 35

I support Chelsea

I'd maybe edit some of this. A 2 second google turned up your name, address and mobile phone number.

Going to be difficult now that you have quoted it. Ha

I am not really bothered, I doubt anyone would want to phone me anyway but thanks for the heads up.

All of that info is freely available via company's house or any Google search of my company name.

Edited by Crespo

racingclub

Good point, I took out the bit I think identifies you ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Crespo

I have taken your advice just in case there are any nutters on here.

black263

What is a good replica watch? Easy. It's one you like the look of and can afford. Simples.

black263

I have taken your advice just in case there are any nutters on here.

I object to that. What do you mean - in case? We are all certifiable horological nutters.

Luthier

I think all the topics I have posted so far have been interesting and valid. Just have a look how may developed into hot topics.

I highly doubt it. For example, what did you want to say in THIS topic? That you bought a cheap and good watch? So what??? Does it worth to discuss?

Bobbylah

What makes a good rep:

1. It works

2. Keeps good time

3. Waterproof

What else do you want?

BaggyPants

What makes a good rep:

1. It works

2. Keeps good time

3. Waterproof

What else do you want?