Sign in to follow this  
Danglin

Datejust hands and date wheel out of sync...

Danglin

Last week, I decided to wear my recently-purchased Datejust to the office. I hadn't worn it in a few days, so I needed to set the time. When I unscrewed the crown and began to turn it, the hour hand did not advance during the first half-turn of the crown, while the minute hand did move. The hour hand did finally "catch" but now I have two problems: The hour hand no longer points exactly at correct number when the minute hand is at the 12 position, and the date wheel now flips at around 4 o'clock instead of 12. The watch still keeps time with no issues, but the hour hand is so far out of sync, the watch is unwearable.

Movement is Asian 2836.

Any ideas on what can be done? I sent Chris a message on Thursday, but I've not yet heard back. I'm wondering is this is something I can tackle myself, or if I'm asking for trouble.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Danglin

Danglin

Anyone? :D

Member X

It sounds like you've either jumped some teeth on the wheels or the wheels might have some broken teeth... Either way it sounds like you need to swap some parts out (which would involve removing the movement, removing the dial and hands, swapping the wheels...) or just re-setting the hands, both of which are potentially damaging if you do something wrong!

For the likely small cost, I would send it to Chris if he is accepting new work. He may also be able to waterproof it, which would mean you could wear it with complete confidence in the future :)

Danglin

Thanks for the response. I'll probably reach out to Chris again to see if he'll take it, as I'm afraid I'll make things worse if I try jumping into it.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2