Sign in to follow this  
Watchdog

Stainless Question and Various

Watchdog

Noob to your forum but avid automaic watch guy for many years. Absolultely intrigued by the ability to create a rep watch 98% of a gen at a fraction of the cost.

Question #1

Can someone eleborate on if the term Versions or "V1", "V2" etc... for various model Subs, DSSD and SSD? Several dealser show some models that look alike and other have some that look slightly different. How do you compare apples to apples and or do some come out of differenct factories?

Question #2

Can someone elaborate on the difference in the SS 316L and SS 316F. Two ultimate versions are being marketed as the latest and greatest DSSD V4 but are listed as having different SS. Perfect Clones lists the only ultimate DSSD having SS 316F ...and it also happens to be the most expensive model as any.

greg_r

Taking your second question first, 316F is the same hardness as 316L but has a bit more of a sheen to it. Apparently it looks a little more like the 904L used on the gen.

V1 V2 etc is a bit of a minefield. Sometimes the later version is better, occasionally it's worse. One dealer (Eurotimez) is currently selling a DSSD v5, which is - according to some folks - that bit better than the others. I'll confess to taking that with a pinch of salt. In my own experience the Breit SOH v2 is a LOT better than the V1 but, like I said, you can't 100% guarantee that's going to be the case with all watches - there's a lot of marketing bs in the rep world... My best advice is to take a look at reviews of these watches by people who have bought them - you should get a better idea of what's what...

Watchdog

Kinda why I was asking....Perfect Clones is touting the 316F...at a 10% premium over the 316L with the 3135 movement.

Hard to believe they would make a watch case with an enitrely different SS grade and minor at that, for reps...not to mention, how is their QC? Anyone seen them side by side.

On a side note....what is preferred by noobs here.... the ETA 2836-2 clone or the 3135 clone?

AllergyDoc

I've heard varying opinions on the 316L vs. 316F but have never seen the 316F in person. I side-by-side was done on RWG2 by Lanikai. He thought he could see a difference, but he's in the minority. My WM9 Sub is 316L and shines like a gen bracelet.

I haven't heard good things about the "3135" movement and think it's plain silly. A rep movement? Why? If anyone sees it that knows what a Rolex movement looks like, they'll laugh. Just stick with the ETA. When offered a choice between "clone ETA" and "ETA", I usually take the "clone." If you order the ETA, you might get one, you might not.

I don't think the people who do Josh's shipping for him do much QCing beyond looking it over. He does, however, have one of the best reputation for after-sales service.

dingle
Kinda why I was asking....Perfect Clones is touting the 316F...at a 10% premium over the 316L with the 3135 movement.

Hard to believe they would make a watch case with an enitrely different SS grade and minor at that, for reps...not to mention, how is their QC? Anyone seen them side by side.

On a side note....what is preferred by noobs here.... the ETA 2836-2 clone or the 3135 clone?

watchdog---just look at any of AD's (AllergyDoc) pics of his rollies in the "wrist check" threads. You will be sold. :lol:

AllergyDoc

It's always difficult to tell from pictures posted on the Net, but this one shows the steel the best:

4019902034_3a4ea1e30e_o.jpg

greg_r

I'd go with AD on this one. Skip the 'imitation Rolex' movements which will convince nobody and go for the ETA clone. Good, solid, reliable movement. Josh is a good dealer, but I've not seen any evidence of QC, so I'd discount that entirely.

If I was to buy an upmarket DSSD to replace my old v2 'lite' version, I'd probably go straight to PWC or WatchInternational and buy whatever their top version was. Price will be decent and I really can't be doing with the BS that some dealers are spouting - particularly on this watch.

RolexAddict

Josh runs a company, he has a web catalog, he just take customer orders, customer's money, then he send infos to makers/factories, middle men, intermediate people, etc.etc. these people send your watch

Dont imagine Josh in a shop or a lab, wearing a white apron, magnificing glasses, and looking your Ultimate Piece or S... before shipping...

:lol:

and thinging about 316L and 316F.... 316L is the international reference for knifes, watches and kitchen stuff industry,

sounds like 316F is in the same rep forum's kindergarden considerations like the ETA's stuff...Swiss, Chinese.... Korean, Ultimate...

May be ETA Swiss movements are made in Afghanistan by Mongolians who produce the 316F steel

Who knows ?????

:rofl:

:D

onzenuub
May be ETA Swiss movements are made in Afghanistan by Mongolians who produce the 316F steel

Who knows ?????

:D

:lol:

Mongolians in Afghanistan, thought there is the USA, UK, Australia, The Netherlands, Germany and some other nationalities.

KBH

I've had the 316f and 316L side by side and the difference is so slight it's meaningless. If you stare at the two and move them around in the light you'll think you see a difference and then look again and you're not sure. Lani had some pictures posted of the two and the camera seemed to be able to pick up the difference better than my eyes could. To me, it's a maybe it's better but it's definitely not worse.

As for the version numbers. I have a slightly different take on this. When the factory decides to make a watch they subcontract out for cases, dials, bracelets, etc. Most of the parts for a watch are made by specialty companies and assembled at what we call a "watch factory". They may order 10,000 of each particular parts. When that batch is sold and there is still more demand they will order another batch of 10,000 (or pick your own number) and may get the cases, dials, and bracelets from the same or different sources. Obviously they are going to try to eliminate the major flaws from the first batch, but quite often they bring in different flaws on the next batch. Version 3 might be when another factory all together who sees the demand and tools up for their own run of this model. And this goes on and on.

Now let's get Robert's take on this. He's the expert.

PS: stay far away from the 3135 clone. Waste of money and unreliable.