Sign in to follow this  
phaedo

Where do you see watches going?

phaedo

I have been thinking for a while about getting a super avenger with the white dial and battons, as the gen I would like to pick up eventually when funds permit. But seeing the pics over at RG of elisix's franken, at less than half the price of the gen, it got me thinking. As much as I like the watch, is it worth spending all that money on a gen? But the bigger question I had, was the idea of buying a watch that would be handed down through the generations - I am not entirely sure we will still be wearing watches even 5 years from now, let alone in 50 years time. I mean, thinking about where technology has come in such a short time recently, so much has become obsolete or near enough to it in the last 10 years or so due to the internet (is that still around?).

Looking at things like the pocket watch, where are they now? Outdated, nobody wears them any more. But were we around in the days they were all the rage, we would probably be on a replica pocketwatch forum not thinking the day would come that they would no longer be worn. Another thing that comes to mind would be the bow tie - I don't know how prevelant they were in the old times, but how often do you see someone wearing one these days instead of a regular tie? And quietly think 'what a weirdo' when you do see them. Outside of being worn in black tie events with a tux, of course. Is this the way the watch may go in 10 or 20 years time?

I just wonder, is buying a gen really worth it when I have these nagging thoughts running around my head. But on a larger scale, where does everyone think things will go with watches? Perhaps they will become a 'special event only' type of thing.

Really, it may be going that way in some respects anyway with so many people not wearing watches already, but relying on cellphones to give them the time, but there are of course still a lot of us out there that enjoy them. And maybe they will stay, but not in the cheap plastic digital watches that are so abundant today, but worn purely as jewelery instead - as a guy, I find the watch one of the few items of jewelery I can wear without it seeming funny.

Anyway, thoughts, opinions, flames?

bob bean

I can't say I know where watches are going, but I do know that they aren't heading to Dingle's house! :D:)

greg_r

Watch styles may change, but a wristwatch is a far too functional piece of design to simply disappear in favour of using the clock on a cellphone. That would be a step backwards to the days of the pocketwatch...

My feeling is that until we have implants that can beam the time directly onto our retinas (I hope I'm kidding :) ) there will still be a place for the humble wristwatch...

greg_r
I can't say I know where watches are going, but I do know that they aren't heading to Dingle's house! :):)

They seem mostly to be heading to PCSAM's house, actually :D

aneki

Look at women's jewelry, has been around for thousands of years. A wristwatch is a piece of jewelry as well as a timepiece and will therefore not disappear. If we only used them for the convenience of telling time easily, we would all wear $5 timex watches. A watch gives us the option to wear something flashy and actually care about how we look and not being worried if it's not macho. We don't have the option to wear diamond necklaces and I doubt we'd want to anyway, this is the next best thing to accessorize ourselves :)

graman

Hmmm....Wristwatches will be around for a long time. Bracelets have been around for thousands of years...and the watch...what? 500?

Pocketwatches were functional, and useful, but it wasn't until we strapped one on our wrist that it became useful, and elegant and functional.....

We still have pocket watches...look at the size of the bastard things we buy...It's a big change from a 1960's, 70's or 80's calibre...they're pocket watches again...what's a Unitas 6497 or 6498?...ummmm tick tick tick tick....

Gen Y's are big on using phones.....so are cheap bastards with no style who spend too much on phones because they like toys....so what?

They'll get hooked, just like we did.

Would I spend a fortune on a gen?...not for a while...I have my Granfather's Omega Pocket watch and my Father's 1960 Omega seamaster....I'd like to buy a railmaster or PO...speedy..deville one day as an heirloom....but right now?..enjoying the moment...bring on the reps....

Push ALL the buttons!

dingle
I can't say I know where watches are going, but I do know that they aren't heading to Dingle's house! :):)

thanks bob. you are great at encouraging others :)

:)

scope

I have one of my dads watches which is a 1963 Rolex Datejust and it is more than just a watch. I can easily see my son keeping and enjoying and passing down to his child.

KBH

I have my grandfather's gold railroad pocket watch and someday my son will have it. Not that its used but it is a piece of my family history. My grandfather actually worked and retired from the railroad back when it was the main form a long distance travel in this country.

But. back to your question. I think watches are much more than timepieces. They are now more status symbols and jewelry. They can tell you a lot about a person. Tools watches and dress watches tell two different stories. Consider a plain ss Sub vs a solid gold presidential vs an expensive Patek or VC. They all have different connotations to the observer.

speedzmaster

Difficult to say. Always in motion is the future. :rolleyes:

graman

Unless you're a jewellery kind of bloke, as KBH says, it's the subtle form of expression.

I wear my wedding ring, and a watch. I have a bone around my neck on a leather thong, that I have worn since I was 10, which nobody sees.

I no longer wear an earring, and have no other piercings, jewelery or implants.

I like this, and will do this for as long as my ass points to the ground.

I do like changing watches with my mood, making me a bit of a ho....and will likely never buy gens as a result...

So wear 'em if you want 'em and smoke 'em if you got 'em....

There are enough people in the world who want watches, and will continue to want watches for a long time into the future.

Luthier

People, like us, will keep watches alive forever.

fakemaster

Watches are viewed as jewelery more than anything at this point.