Sign in to follow this  
Radiator

Asian 21j Auto - Can it be used as a manual watch?

Radiator

Hi, I have a replica IWC with an Asian J21 auto movement, but the rotor has popped off and I can't get it to stay on. My question is, if the auto movement is not working can I just manually wind it a few times a day and still use it? Thanks

NCRich

If that is the only thing wrong with it you should be able to wind it 30 or so times and it will run a couple days.

Radiator

That's good news! I did read a few older threads on here about how you shouldn't manually wind auto movements as you may damage the mechanism?

AS90

My PO was unwinding itself so I fixed the rota with sticky tape and manually wind it. Works great.

greg_r

Yep - actually there's a few reps around that use standard 21Js converted to manual wind.

Waipio Jeff
That's good news! I did read a few older threads on here about how you shouldn't manually wind auto movements as you may damage the mechanism?

more so for the A7750 movements.

Sent via mental telepathy from my Samsung Galaxy SIII with Tapatalk 2.

Haltec

It's commonly known as "Hack" feature on Auto movements, and IMHO on genuine mechanisms in 80's was present in "higher class" watches only....

BR

Haltec

onionbag

FYI "Hack" is an old military term, it refers to the function of a movement whereby you can stop the seconds hand and synchronise it with another timekeeper.

Rob Roy
Hi, I have a replica IWC with an Asian J21 auto movement, but the rotor has popped off and I can't get it to stay on. My question is, if the auto movement is not working can I just manually wind it a few times a day and still use it? Thanks

My Rolex Milgauss was supplied without a Rotor I now wind it for about one minute every two days, The watch keeps great time.

Col

goodgood

It's commonly known as "Hack" feature on Auto movements, and IMHO on genuine mechanisms in 80's was present in "higher class" watches only....

BR

Haltec

+1 Nothing to do with winding an auto mov manually.

UmpaHimself

more so for the A7750 movements.

Sent via mental telepathy from my Samsung Galaxy SIII with Tapatalk 2.

+1

The A7750 is a very delicate movement. On the other hand, the Asian 21j is a workhorse. I wind all my auto watches about 10-15 times before I put them on every day.

Haltec

FYI "Hack" is an old military term, it refers to the function of a movement whereby you can stop the seconds hand and synchronise it with another timekeeper.

Yep. You re absolutely right.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php?topic=431.0

I missinterpreted something long time ago and it stuck... (regarding hacking feature)

BR

Haltec

10:10 Watch Repair

That was civilized. The kinder gentler RWG.

onionbag

Yep. You re absolutely right.

http://www.thewatchs...php?topic=431.0

I missinterpreted something long time ago and it stuck... (regarding hacking feature)

BR

Haltec

Glad to be of assistance, sometimes, as you say, things stick in our minds.