Sign in to follow this  
Skrimps

Made my 2nd strap: Thoughts?

Skrimps

Ended up making another strap this weekend and wanted hear some opinions on it. See anything you would change about it or anything that stands out as a mess up?

20130128_121453_zps843f2a78.jpg

20130128_121521_zps031bddd3.jpg

20130128_121511_zps41510ae2.jpg

20130128_121500_zpsc8b90a35.jpg

Leigh

Nice job pal, looks really good. If I was being picky, I would say that the stitching could do with being a little closer to the edge, but hay - fab job, wish I could do something like that.

Not be long before your taking orders!!

Skrimps

I think you are right on the stitching. Did not realize how far in it was till I see it in the pictures. I always have a fear of doing it too far to the side and ripping the leather.

Leigh

Still a bloody great job! I would be proud to have that on one of my pams.

diplosa

For a 2nd strap, I'd say not bad, but I know nothing about making straps.

Crusader

This looks really good, nice color matching the dial color. Stitching also looks nice, great work :)

Skrimps

I think I need to make my groove deeper before I stitch. Been looking at some of the masters (Serge/Timebandit) and it looks like they cut real deep before stitching. Crazy how good those guys are at this. Although I must admit trying to make straps is starting to become more fun then collecting watches.

Crusader

Where are you based? Just for future reference, if I'll be in a need for strap... :Whistle:

Skrimps

Haha I am in Texas but if you ever want one just let me know. I have a feeling I am going to be making a few a week till I get really good at them so might have a surplus of ones laying around.

BadPickle
Haha I am in Texas but if you ever want one just let me know. I have a feeling I am going to be making a few a week till I get really good at them so might have a surplus of ones laying around.

They're really good, stitching could do with being straighter but they've got character!!

I've been looking into making some myself, got a couple of books and a few bits of tools.

I'm really impressed, given me some motivation.

Cheers!!

Skrimps

Picklebeetroot what books do you have? Anything you think worth picking up?

Seems to me the hard part is really trying to find the right kind of leather to use. I have found a few different types of leather online but still looking for some good kind. Any suggestions on that as well?

Bash64

Nice job!! It is pretty satisfying to make something that looks good with your watch!!

There is a tool you can get to prep the stitching groove prior to stiching, but too deep is as big an issue as not deep enough. I do just one swipe with this tool - works great! http://www.tandyleat...e-88081-00.aspx

I like the weight of thread you used for your stitches and I like the leather choice also. Unless you want to buy large batches of leather, keep your eyes open for old belts, purses and the like. At the local Tandy store, they have a "remnant bin" where I can often find a scap for $10 that will provide enough leather for 2 straps (made 2 this weekend also).

If you want another suggestion, have a look at the stitch patterns that are commonly used. There are some typical ones for this style of strap. The minimalist look (aka DeLuca et al) only stitch at every glue joint perpendicular to the strap length and wrapped around the edge. Another options is to stitch the strap side edges only with an option to also stitch in the buckle. Others do a complete "box" for each strap length. You don't very often see the two options combined though where you have a box and see the stitching wrap the entire side to side distance. I'm not saying that is incorrect - there is no "wrong" in this, but there seem to be guidelines that a lot of the strapmakers follow.

Well done! Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the underside also :)

Skrimps

Bash, some great pointers!

I ended up buying this leather off of Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/transaction/113518160) ended up getting a huge chunk of it for $15. I ended up going to my local Tandy store this past weekend and took a $5 class they had. I was the only one in it so the teacher just worked with me on strap making. Picked up some good advice from him on some things.

Here is what the underside looks like. This is something that I am going to work on fixing when I make another one tonight. It is really nasty looking on this strap. I am also having some difficulties tying my knots up. For some reason that part is killing me.

20130128_152652_zps59647f7e.jpg?t=1359408662

20130128_152701_zps97e43fa8.jpg?t=1359408707

Bash64

The knots are a major pain. When using the waxed linen (or whatever) nothing wants to hold with the wax. This is what some guys do to have the stiching hold without knots:

• Back stitch 3 stitches, pull the thread tight on the uderside and burn the end. This leaves a burnt lump the partially pulls into the stitch hole and they say it stays.
  • Back stitch 3 stitches, pull the thread tight on the udersidecut it and add a drop of glue (some use crazyglue, some use whatever) the glue leaves a small mark sometimes, but they say it holds.
  • And finally, back stitch 3 stitches, pull the thread tight on the uderside and just cut it. Many say this will hold as well as the rest of the systems. No marks no nothing.

I have glued and I have cut and done nothing. Since I stitch it myself, I can fix it if there is aproblem later :) I cannot get the knot thing to look good either so I abandoned that idea. If you are interested I can post a couple of straps I have done.

Great website, btw. There are some pretty good deals there.

Edit: I should not have looked at the website. Cost me about $50.

Haltec

You need better guidance (first pic, left side 2 cm from case) but otherwise is really really beautifull. And it goes with Pam's.

Maybe some sideways pics?

Br

Haltec

McJules

as a strap maker, i can give you some advices ;)

be careful with your stitching. make sure you always stitch the same way. this will give you a nice, clean and even stitching.

once your done, you can always go over with the stitching wheel. it will help if there is some small imperfections.

make it closer to the edge, the look will jus improve.

as for the knots, i never do them since they can be uncomfortable.

run your thread 2 times on the last holes, cut the rest and a small drop of crazy glue or any other instant ones that dries clear. it will last for years!

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! i'm here to help ;)

this is what i mean for the last hole

IMAG0032_Sophia.jpg

Bash64

be careful with your stitching. make sure you always stitch the same way. this will give you a nice, clean and even stitching.

once your done, you can always go over with the stitching wheel. it will help if there is some small imperfections.

run your thread 2 times on the last holes, cut the rest and a small drop of crazy glue or any other instant ones that dries clear. it will last for years!

IMAG0032_Sophia.jpg

What size thread do you use, McJules?. Your stitches look, well, perfect :D and the stitching is very prominent even though you have a deep stitch channel. I made these on the weekend, but I think I should go with a "whiter" thread instead of the off-white I used. I really like the look of Russel's dark stitching on the distressed leather (do you know what size thread you used also?), but if you use a lighter colour, should it pop more?

Bothstrapstop.jpg

Bothstrapsunderside.jpg

McJules

well, this one is a flat thread in cream color, that you can find on ebay.

i buy most of my thread there. doesn't need to be waxed as i glue the end but the one on the pic is.

as for the size, i like something around 1mm.

on the picture, the groove was a bit deeper. it was the look i wanted to get ;)

also, when it comes to color, it's all a matter of taste! i have some with dark stitching, some with light. both look good.

other thing, try with veg tanned leather. you can dye it the color you want and play with some effect. you can give a full vintage look just with some dyes.

here is some i did. the leather was brand new btw!

20130106202001108.jpg

20121120223824.jpg

practice is the key for stitching. take your time, and when you pass the needle on the left or right, always keep the same side or it will be misaligned.

you have good skills already, just practice and in a short time, i'm sure improvements will be there ;)

i started doing straps last july, so nothing is impossible :)

Jonathan

Bash64

Wow, I love those - they are beautiful! Clearly, I need more practice. Would love to see a post on how you dyed those to get that vintage effect

well, this one is a flat thread in cream color, that you can find on ebay.

i buy most of my thread there. doesn't need to be waxed as i glue the end but the one on the pic is.

as for the size, i like something around 1mm.

on the picture, the groove was a bit deeper. it was the look i wanted to get ;)

also, when it comes to color, it's all a matter of taste! i have some with dark stitching, some with light. both look good.

other thing, try with veg tanned leather. you can dye it the color you want and play with some effect. you can give a full vintage look just with some dyes.

here is some i did. the leather was brand new btw!

20130106202001108.jpg

20121120223824.jpg

practice is the key for stitching. take your time, and when you pass the needle on the left or right, always keep the same side or it will be misaligned.

you have good skills already, just practice and in a short time, i'm sure improvements will be there ;)

i started doing straps last july, so nothing is impossible :)

Jonathan

BigBuys

Great start! +1 on all comments and for my 2 cents worth, WWII era ammo pouches are the very best for strap with heavy character. The best looking strap that I own is Swedish Gustav ammo pouch with antique stitch from Greg Stevens Designs.

DSC04047.jpg

DSC04061.jpg

DSC04056.jpg

Skrimps

So I came home from work and ended up making a new strap with some of the changes you guys suggested (making the threads closer to the edge/going back over stitches with groover). Do you think it looks better than the first one?

The strap on the watch is the new one the older one is on the right.

20130128_203601_zps3fc5e3f0.jpg

20130128_203548_zps42b8c6d8.jpg

20130128_203530_zps341e986d.jpg

Bash64

Looks good - You are on your way!

Skrimps

IMAG0032_Sophia.jpg

Man your stitches are just amazing!! Quick question though what do you mean by make your your stitches go the same way?

McJules

Thanks bud!great improvement on the new one!

What i mean is when you punch the needle on the top layer, when you pull under, keep it always on the same side. Left or right. Kinda hard to explain, i'll take some pics tonight to show what i mean.

Skrimps

Yeah pictures would help a ton. I think I am just going to try and saddle stitch one tonight to see how it comes out. Is that how you do most of yours?