Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

What do you reckon ?

SteveA

Theres a little jewelers/watch shop in our town,tyhe most expensive things he sold were Festina and the odd 2nd hand gen.Now I know the guy does repairs but wanted to try him out on the rep thing so took in my Omega GMT and asked him to remove a link which he did for a couple of quid.We got to talking and he said how nice the watch was etc and quite hesitantly asked was it gen or rep,I told him rep made in China.I asked him what made him question and his response was that not many people with gens go into his shop they would usually use an AD.Fair comment so we got to talking about reps and he said if he could get reps as good as that he wouldnt bother with gens,he was wearing a nice vintage sub which to my eye was obviously a gen.Anyway months go by and I decide to have look in his window which is now a glowing display of Omega,Panerai,Rolex,Brietling,Tudor etc all at prices 50% lower than AD.

My thought is he has gone for reps in a big way and is passing them off as gen and will find himself in deep shit soon,he says they are gens but he has a good source so can undercut the AD,I point out some obvious flaws on a "new model" Ploprof and he shuts up.

What do you reckon gens from a source who can undercut AD by 50% or reps and he will get caught ?

Oh forgot to mention he is within yards of the Trading Standards office !

Wriggles

That sounds like it won't end well....

houndoggie

Sounds like you are an accomplice, better do something.

trailboss99
What do you reckon gens from a source who can undercut AD by 50% or reps

Well, if you pointed put flaws . . .

Maybe you should call the TSO and ask them if they have checked out their own backyard recently . . .

solkryssare

So amongst other things he sells a Ploprof which you are 100% sure is a rep?

greg_r

Oh I do enjoy a good train wreck. Keep us posted about what happens! ;)

decus

Can you take some pics of the rep watches in the shop front window and post them here. It'd be nice to have a look :)

James.

Wow... :facepalm:

HeavyKrush

Wow. If your suspicions are true this is quite a story. As Decus says, would be interesting to have a couple pics to scrutinize.

matt992

you've gotta do something because although buying any rep is dodgy, selling them off as gen is fraud pure and simple. Its okay for those in the know but some unsuspecting person is going to be had, would you want that on your conscience? Suppose it was a friend or relative that was done, you'd do something about it then!

dasselin

Humm… touchy dilemma … I have to deal legally with this type of stuff. Here is what I would do.

Advise the gentlemen that you suspect that his supplier is selling him reps. And that he is exposing

Himself to accusation of fraud. And the Gent in question could easily implicate you by pointing out

That the original idea was from you. He could touch you really but it could be a troublesome for you

Dan

court

This type of thing doesn't do anyone any good in the long term. When he gets caught; as he surely will; everyone loses.

Maybe you should get someone to visit posing as someone interested in a gen and they can point out the flaws and tell him he's been had and threaten to shop him to TS if he doesn't remove it from sale. That should stop him. I would hope

Wriggles

I wouldn't be that blatant, you seemed to get on well enough with him before.

I'd have a friendly word and mention the fact the TSO are so close, and if you could spot a rep then there would be other people who are likely to be able to.

Mention that if he sells to one of them and they report it he could be prosecuted and you'd not like to see that happen to him.

Hopefully he'll be bright enough to take the hint and stop

myaz

You could advise the closest Rolex, Omega or other AD involved.

Unfortunately, that would not leave him a gracious way out and you would lose a good place to service reps.

But as matt992 says, could be your friend being ripped off.

razorblade

I hope he isn't passing them off as gens. If he is, then I think its only right to take action before innocent buyers get burned.

Realism

No way a grey could undercut an AD by 50%... 10-15% maybe...

jeffrx

Think of the people he is ripping off if this is true and then do the right thing.

Frankt8242

He MUST be trying to scam!!!...NOBODY can sell high end gens at a 50% discount!!

And IMNSFHO, once you mention it to him and he keeps it up, then "drop a dime" on his sorry ass......

Scumbags like him give the rest of us a bad name....

onionbag

Does he have a Pam-with lost box and papers- advertised on ebay?

Member X

Can you take some pics of the rep watches in the shop front window and post them here. It'd be nice to have a look :)

+1