Sign in to follow this  
Balagan

Cartier Tank - not a lady watch...

Balagan

Dear fellows,

Browsing through Cartier section I stumbled upon several posts where Tank de Cartier (namely "Tank française") was considered as a lady watch. Well, in the past 10 years gentlemen's watches kept growing and many lads do not feel safe wearing anything smaller than 44 mm PAM (yes they are lovely)...

Nevertheless Tank is and always was positioned as a true gent's watch, that, starting from the 60's, was progressively discovered by the ladies in seek of emancipation. There are loads of info on this in French, let me share some pics for those interested.

Since the very beginning (1917) inspired by WWI (World War I, not Mary!) French Renault tank, the watch was clearly targeted at male audience:

Tank+1917.jpg

The watch case had many versions, but was consistently positioned as a classy dress watch for the "men of taste":

The Truman Capote story, where, offended by an ugly watch a journalist was wearing he offers him a Tank, is quite famous: "Take that ugly watch off your wrist and put on that one!" Embarrassed by the generosity, a journalist tried not to accept the writer's Tank watch, but Capote confessed: "I beg you, keep it, I have at least seven at home! "

Expert Cartier's marketing managed to put the Tank at many iconic wrists:

Duke+Ellington-tank+a+guichets.jpg

Duke Ellington-tank a guichets

Gary+Cooper+Tank+Basculante.jpg

Gary "Lou Gehrig" Cooper

Clark+Gable+Tank.jpg

Clark Gable

Yves+Montand.jpg

Yves Montand

... and many others.

So, please, do not hesitate to put a 36-38 mm watch on! It's a great gent's classic.

Nisv

Nice writeup, thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

Balagan

Hmm... Actually, I wanted to ask the folks whether a decent rep in gen size (~37x28) was ever made, but I went a bit overboard.

parisianshut

Hmm... Actually, I wanted to ask the folks whether a decent rep in gen size (~37x28) was ever made, but I went a bit overboard.

i searched but didn't find a good quality rep of this one. it's like the Lecoutre Reverso... impossible to find a good rep. classy watch are so much better

myaz

Thanks for this interesting bit of history......now to resize my wife's Tank :B): , got no fear of smaller watches, nowadays, a few wear watches that are so big, they detract rather than compliment.

Aren

Yes, a very nice write up. Thanks for sharing. :clap:

:)

TheInthusiest

A newbie with knowledge. A rare occurrence, great write! :)

chats

wow, thats a great story. what makes a great timepiece is the story behind it