Sign in to follow this  
sin_lei

Advice on Cartier Ballon Bleu replica

sin_lei

Dear All,

I have been trying to get a well made replica of the SS Cartier Ballon Bleu 42mm.

This is the best I have been offered by Mary.

http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=2112

Any piece of advice is welcome.

My inexperienced eye sees that the "cartier" at 7 o'clock has too much space between the bottom of the watch and the C if compared with an original watch.

what do you think?

Also I was told in this forum that swiss ETAs are rarely swiss made but clones. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Pictures are pretty good so it should be easy to tell for you.

Again, your opinion is invaluable.

Thanks

Bruno

greg_r

Yup - it's pretty good, but not perfect. Unfortunately there's not anything better that I'm aware of. In many cases, these reps are produced from photographs - unless they have a sample of the genuine watch to dismantle, small (occasionally large) errors can creep in. Even when they DO have the genuine watch to copy, small errors can still be a fact of life - there are very few that are near perfect. Ultimately it depends on how particular you are - even a good rep won't fool an expert, but will still look very convincing on the wrist.

With regard to movements, if you have the option between Swiss ETA and the asian 'Clone' ETA - as a general rule, go for the clone. It's going to be cheaper and work just as well.

The reason why we tell people to beware of supposed 'Swiss ETA' claims is that it has become VERY difficult to tell which is which - they are almost identical. It's not that dealers are necessarily misinforming their customers - it's just that they're passing on information from the factories which they have no way of checking. The other factor is that it is becoming harder for the rep factories to obtain the gen movements - on occasion what they are suppling are reconditioned or secondhand movements

However, there are two dealers who can be relied upon to provide a genuine Swiss ETA movement if that's what they offer you: PrestigeWatchCo and WatchInternational (Mary). I'd still be inclined to save my money and buy the clone, though :mummy:

sin_lei

Thank you for your thorough review.

I agree with you on the asian movements. I found that the replicas with asian movements are poorer replicas overall.

Bruno

greg_r
I found that the replicas with asian movements are poorer replicas overall.

That's not the case - it depends on the individual movement concerned. Yes, some of the cheapies based on the 21J family of movements are poorer quality, but a lot of the very best reps run Asian movements.

Take this as an example:

soh_OR_270210.jpg

This is a Breitling SOH v2. It runs an Asian clone high-beat movement. The watch is one of the best reps around, however - almost indistinguishable from the genuine.

The earlier version of this watch was available with a gen Swiss ETA - but was in all important respects inferior to the asian-powered watch I've just shown you.

As a general rule the asian copies of the basic ETA movements are excellent and shouldn't be ruled out when buying a rep - in many instances theyr'e the most sensible option.

AllergyDoc

I think that is the best Cartier Ballon Bleu made and the only way you'll get one better than is it buy the gen.

Member NFleischer bought one of these recently.

sin_lei

I have asked Mary to look for a replica as the one I had the link for but with an asian movement.

I will keep you posted.

Nice breitling. where can you find this?

Cheers

greg_r

I bought that watch from PrestigeWatchCo. Mary should also be able to supply...

Good luck with the Cartier! :mummy:

sin_lei

You are correct.

This one comes only with swiss movement.

I think I will go for it.

I will try to contact NFleischer to get his opinion on it.

Bruno

I think that is the best Cartier Ballon Bleu made and the only way you'll get one better than is it buy the gen.

Member NFleischer bought one of these recently.

cybee

Intially the Cartier BB's had much trouble with the crown alignment making them nearly impossible to wind. Hopefully that is no longer an issue. I've been happy with my BB so far. Good luck :giggle:

NFleischer

DSC00271.jpg

Here's mine from Josh @ Perfect Clones (Perfect-Hour). Its a great rep, super nice finish with eta mov't. i would guess gen because of smoothness

accuracy and power reserve. i didn't take off back, but Josh is been generally honest with me over the years.

Luthier

If Mary or Robert says - it's Swiss ETA - you can be sure it is.

Don't know about other dealers.

fakemaster

The winder is encased in a housing. You have to push against it in order to wind. This puts pressure on the neck of the stem and they can snap. It is a design flaw that affects the gens as well. Unless they've started making them with unibtanium it will always be an issue. And the gen runs at 21,600 so there is no need for a highbeat at all.

I did a review here that you can read:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthrea...bleu-39746.html

sin_lei

Thank you Fakemaster.

I read and enjoyed your review of the ballon bleu.

I believe there are two decent replicas.

The one you reviewed is nice. The main flaws I see is the back casing. The markings are not accurate as the gen writings in the back are different.

Also there are 8 screws in the back of the gen instead of 6 of that replica. Also it has most definitely an asian movement.

Finally the date is more oval in the gen.

The one I was looking at has all these features right, but the "cartier" at 7 is not as accurate, as there is a gap before the C.

ALso the one I am considering is far more expensive, as it claims to have a swiss ETA 2824-2.

http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=2112

Does this sound right?

Thanks again.

The winder is encased in a housing. You have to push against it in order to wind. This puts pressure on the neck of the stem and they can snap. It is a design flaw that affects the gens as well. Unless they've started making them with unibtanium it will always be an issue. And the gen runs at 21,600 so there is no need for a highbeat at all.

I did a review here that you can read:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthrea...bleu-39746.html

fakemaster

Excluding the Swiss discussion. If you want to get the 2824 then it's your choice.

Luthier
The one I was looking at has all these features right, but the "cartier" at 7 is not as accurate, as there is a gap before the C.

Thanks again.

People already told you, mate - no 1:1 replicas exist. All Omega replicas have "happy feet", does it mean we shouldn't buy Omegas at all?

sin_lei

Thank you for bearing with me.

I have found the replica I wanted and ordered it.

Will post pictures as soon as I receive.

thanks again

Thanks again.

People already told you, mate - no 1:1 replicas exist. All Omega replicas have "happy feet", does it mean we shouldn't buy Omegas at all?

JustinCase
I found that the replicas with asian movements are poorer replicas overall.

That's not the case - it depends on the individual movement concerned. Yes, some of the cheapies based on the 21J family of movements are poorer quality, but a lot of the very best reps run Asian movements.

Take this as an example:

soh_OR_270210.jpg

This is a Breitling SOH v2. It runs an Asian clone high-beat movement. The watch is one of the best reps around, however - almost indistinguishable from the genuine.

The earlier version of this watch was available with a gen Swiss ETA - but was in all important respects inferior to the asian-powered watch I've just shown you.

As a general rule the asian copies of the basic ETA movements are excellent and shouldn't be ruled out when buying a rep - in many instances theyr'e the most sensible option.

This is the most tasteful Breitling I've seen. Congrats!