Sign in to follow this  
edwinowl

My first go at a vintage rolly

edwinowl

Guys decided to mod a Submariner that I had knocking around with a 21j that I wasn't wearing. I love the look of the older rollies with leather. Baked and varnished the dial, used some coffee and water based paint on dial and hands and then some vintage Lume which ive bought which is great. Sanded and aged the case set a little and added a nice leather from Jose Maria which I think compliments her well. Mrs is well happy now as its her little baby, she loves it. Keeps her quiet , there's

method in my madness!!

4B4407AC-7E8A-4BBC-BE99-03E49AD96BF6-6440-000009AB3F00D2DC.jpg

B4F8E12F-D717-412C-8A75-69EB9CA478D5-6440-000009AB4C8AC59E.jpg

95780d655782de5f316d44dda9eb306c.jpg.

Lume could have been better but it's tricky by hand. Need to speak to KeNnY re technique methinks.

decus

The best thing about modding them is that they become much more personal. Nice 1!

sardonix

Like your vintage piece, but somehow there is no match with that strap im my honest opinion.

Think i would prefer black thick nato.

JohnPilot

Nice watch and strap. But the lume I would wipe it off with Acetone and retry.

I made a vintage Comex one day. But I didn't dare to lume. Its much trickier than the 2 layer APM dials.

A hint for Rolex case aging. You put it into a tin can half filled with old coins and a few screws. Close the lid and, during watching TV or else, shake it wit the wathc inside. you get a nice vintag effect which is not too uniform but looks quite real.

edwinowl

Yep did that John thanks. Didn't want to beat her up to bad. I know what your saying re strap but its a personal thing and I love the aged old brown leather. Really enjoyed doing it and you're right the personal build thing is unique. Thanks for the comments guys.

baxter

Dude - that's a great first attempt - the lume looks like it was the trickiest part and i'd kind of agree with John re giving it another go - mainly because i can see that 5,8,10 & 11 are really well done so i reckon you could have the dial looking awesome with another couple of attempts, the lume colour looks great. Overall that looks tops mate - love the strap as well, i know what sardonix is saying but i kinda like the combo !! :clap:

edwinowl

Cheers Jez. Appreciate your comments mate.

paulc

This is lovely, I am considering the dial bake and coffee method now as yours looks top drawer.