Sign in to follow this  
sadistic

Manual winding watch not winding

sadistic

Hey all,

I have an AP 15300 Jumbo Model and recently something strange has occurred. When I try to wind the watch, it does not make the winding sound internally. Also at positions 1, 2 & 3 I cannot set the date or time, As the crown will just keep spinning without actually doing anything.

Does anyone know what I should do or should I just give it to my local watch repairer.

Thanks

toehh

Maybe your keyless works is messed up

Overport

I have a similar problem with a JLC reverso. Intermittant manual wind. Interested to know the fix as well.

Madmomo

Sometimes the detent for the winding train will get loose, or worn, and pop out of position which will prevent winding or setting of hands. This is the part that holds the pinion in place when you pull the stem out to wind or set the hands, it keeps the gears where they are supposed to be and not running loose like in your examples above. I've had this happen on a lot of old Gruen, and Bulova 50s watches which get worn over time. With a rep it may just be loose. In my case I had to take the watch apart, tighten or replace worn parts, reassemble and everything worked fine. For most of this the only way to get to these parts is to take the dial off so if you aren't ready for that you'll have to take it to someone who is.