Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

Deep Sea V3 from Jackie Chen

alphakazi
I've been hosting 'em myself for years....

:band:

to lazy to fire up the ftp client - takes about 30 seconds with imageshack but I suppose I should use my wasted bandwidth for something ;)

Takes about 30 secs with FTP too the way I have it set up ;)

ok you win.. er.. well we both win if we get our pics up in 30 secs :D

although, I copy and paste my link and you have to type it out - so, in reality, I do WIN! :lol:

and my pc owns your mac

greg_r
although, I copy and paste my link and you have to type it out - so, in reality, I do WIN! :lol:

You lose. I copy/paste my link too.

and my pc owns your mac

*shakes head sadly and wanders off laughing*

Foolish boy.

onzenuub

You lose. I copy/paste my link too.

and my pc owns your mac

*shakes head sadly and wanders off laughing*

Foolish boy.

What is happening between you two???

greg_r

Don't worry about it - we're just trying and failing to needle each other. :D

It's the old Mac vs. PC fanboi argument - I generally take whichever side isn't already occupied. On my Mac forum I generally defend Windows. If both sides are well-represented I'll support Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris (or NeXTSTEP if I'm feeling really perverse...). Makes no difference to me :lol:

onzenuub

Don't worry about it - we're just trying and failing to needle each other. :Whistle:

It's the old Mac vs. PC fanboi argument - I generally take whichever side isn't already occupied. On my Mac forum I generally defend Windows. If both sides are well-represented I'll support Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris (or NeXTSTEP if I'm feeling really perverse...). Makes no difference to me :lol:

Than it is oke, OKE.

alphakazi

Don't worry about it - we're just trying and failing to needle each other. :lol:

It's the old Mac vs. PC fanboi argument - I generally take whichever side isn't already occupied. On my Mac forum I generally defend Windows. If both sides are well-represented I'll support Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris (or NeXTSTEP if I'm feeling really perverse...). Makes no difference to me :huh:

I don't have as much of a problem with the OS as I do with the hardware - although now that they are using a PC's CPU - things are looking up for mac

epenis.jpg

greg_r

Alpha, you don't get it - but then Windows weenies rarely do :huh:

alphakazi

your right I don't - it's the Mac owners that get it - and good too :huh:

seriously though, don't get me wrong, Macs are great - they're just not for everyone (hardware buffs that build, overclock, test, game, etc.)

my bro has a single core G5 and it's... pretty - but don't think about upgrading a cpu or hell will break loose

greg_r
your right I don't - it's the Mac owners that get it - and good too :unsure:

seriously though, don't get me wrong, Macs are great - they're just not for everyone (hardware buffs that build, overclock, test, game, etc.)

my bro has a single core G5 and it's... pretty - but don't think about upgrading a cpu or hell will break loose

Actually, CPU upgrading in a Mac (even an older PPC model) is easier than you might think - I've done it several times. Does depend on the machine, though - some are easier than others. However, they're not aimed at the same market as the sorta gamers' rig that appeals to you and it's rarely necessary to do an upgrade. I run a 9 year-old G4 Mac as a server (2tb HD, 1.5gb RAM) - it's not running quite the latest server OS, but it handles the previous 10.4 version happily. It hasn't been turned off in 5 years for anything other than powercuts or system upgrades - it has never crashed in all that time. Try doing that with a similarly recent build of Windows server on a regular x86 box of the same age. However, conversely, if you want to game, you'd be nuts to buy a Mac - they're just not optimised for that kinda purpose.

For other purposes, however, a Mac makes a lot of sense. I can run just about anything on this machine (17" MacBook Pro) - including windows apps (most of 'em without having to run Windows itself). There's a VAST range of Mac/Unix and Linux software that just isn't doable on Windows (even if you're prepared to run something like Cygwin or OS/E). The hardware is incredibly well-made and ultra-reliable. Far better native gamma and colour performance than Windows (which displays with far too much contrast) is also a factor if you do the amount of design work that I do.

OS X is also a whole lot easier to fix when it goes wrong than Windows - whose real Achilles' heel is the registry; get that b0rked and it can get ugly. OS X, however, follows the usual Unix principle of saving application configurations in individual preference files in the home directory - if you have a problem with an app, just delete the prefs and you're back in business. Whilst Windows file system is actually more efficient than OS X's HFS, the latter is journaled which means that problems of any consequence are rare. Add all the above to a GUI that is both consistent and makes sense (albeit I still prefer NeXTSTEP in many ways) and you have a hard to beat combination.

It's fairly likely that I've run more operating systems and hardware configurations than anyone you've ever met - possibly more than you've ever heard of. I've run exotica such as SGI/Irix, Sun Sparc/Solaris, Cobalt gear, NeXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, OSE/Win, OS/2 and a bunch of other stuff I can't be bothered to list. I've developed software on a wide range of platforms and several programming languages. I run what I run (both hardware and software) in part because I spend a lot of time managing computer systems for a living and I want the gear I use to give me as little hassle as possible. The real caveat here, however, is this: I AM NOT A GAMER. :groucho: If I was, I'd run Windows.

Ultimately, it depends on what you need. Horses for courses.

alphakazi

I hear ya bud - I can totally understand where you're coming from - I had a computer business long ago (in the DOS days) but now it is PURELY pleasure - something to take my stress out on - I enjoying building, tweaking, upgrading, gaming and do occasionally use MS Word to write a letter :lol:

image12gj6.png

image1qe5.png

yea, I'm still a kid I know

greg_r
yea, I'm still a kid I know

:finger: Nuthin' wrong with that :D

onzenuub

Alpha, are you ruling the world from there??

greg_r

Blowing it up, one suspects :finger:

onzenuub

Dammit, stop posting you...

greg_r

I will if you and John will....

..... I didn't think so :D

onzenuub

..... I didn't think so :D

..... I didn't think so :rofl:

greg_r
:finger:

onzenuub
;)

See.

alphakazi

coming around the corner it's onze and greg neck and neck

there can only be one post whore

greg_r
coming around the corner it's onze and greg neck and neck

there can only be one post whore

Onze is gaining on me rapidly. I think I'm toast....

onzenuub

Don't know. You won the first time too

alphakazi

you need to go pro

postwhore.jpg

greg_r
Don't know. You won the first time too

Only because you let me win :lol:

onzenuub
you need to go pro

postwhore.jpg

I'd rather go for this one: