Sign in to follow this  
dmpmassive

Stakes and Stumps, The Book

dmpmassive

So... A couple weeks ago I picked up a nice staking tool set thinking that it's a must have for any aspiring hobbiest watchmaker right? After taking delivery, opening and unpacking I found myself staring at thinking, "What the hell am I supposed to do with all these?" I mean, I know what I'm supposed to do with them, but I was pretty sure that my current knowledge of the craft would have resulted in utter oblivion for whatever was at the other end of the stake and brass hammer!

A bit of research lead me to this book:

44FFFDB8-B358-4631-A390-362DB75B241B-499-0000007BA56F44FE_zpscb02ebab.jpg

0B746613-0259-46B3-B1FE-DDEEA6AB2455-499-0000007BA8E1EE77_zpsc73b86fa.jpg

DEA9564A-D6CC-4AD0-8C86-A38ED58483BF-499-0000007BABE18969_zps57738c1e.jpg

Now before anyone asks. No, this post will not culminate in a torrent file or e-book. Here's why...

Apparently, this book is considered one of the best overall guides to using a staking tool out there. It goes through the point, purpose and instruction of pretty much every stake and stump in the K&D line. It's been quite revelatory for me and well worth the cost.

The book was out of print for many years and through the efforts of a dedicated watchmaker named Ron Bechler, the book was reprinted and is available directly from him. $20 soft cover, $35 hard cover.

One of the authors, Archie, is alive and well and Ron pays him a royalty on each copy. I think it's really inspiring that people like Ron (who as I write this is almost 80 years of age) are willing to dedicate their time to helping others who are interested in watchmaking.

If anyone is interested in getting in touch with Ron and ordering a copy, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

dmp