Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

How to open a Bell&Ross BR01-92

Wiz

A few weeks ago I was looking for a pictorial on how to open my Bell&Ross BR01-92, and as I didn't find any, I decided to do one this afternoon.

First, put your B&R in a case holder and slant the whole thing in order to have the crown up. It's a big watch, so you'd better take a XXL case holder if you want it to fit.

DSC02068.jpg

The point is to place the rotor down so we can access the stem release button. We are going to access this button by unscrewing the back screw.

DSC02072.jpg

Take the screw out using rodico (or some duct tape) and place it under a dust cover.

DSC02073.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

Once it's done, insert a small screwdriver in the hole and gently press the stem release button. The button might not be right under the hole, so don't worry if you don't find it right away. Make also sure that the rotor is not in the way.

DSC02076.jpg

Now that the stem is out, we will take care of the front screws.

To avoid scratching them, you may want to put some scotch tape on the screwdriver's blade.

DSC02079.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

Once again, take the screws out using rodico.

DSC02078.jpg

Watch out for the o-ring, it can be stucked to the front cover.

DSC02080.jpg

You can now take the movement and dial out. Be careful not to put your fingers on the dial.

Here I'm using a sound and some rodico.

DSC02081.jpg

Empty case. You can remove the dust using a dust blower and a microfiber cloth.

DSC02082.jpg

The movement in a holder.

DSC02084.jpg

Rotor out.

DSC02083.jpg

Before putting the watch back together, grease the o-rings using silicon grease.

DSC02086.jpg

If you don't have a box to apply the silicon grease, just put a little grease on your forefinger and roll the gasket between your forefinger and your middle finger.

On the small o-rings (stem and back screw), apply a tiny bit of silicon grease using a sound or a toothpick.

DSC02087.jpg

Now we can start putting the watch back together.

First, take the stem out and place the movement and dial back in the case, before putting the stem back in place. Be sure to align the dial correctly.

DSC02085.jpg

Put a tiny bit of blue threadlocker on a sound (or a toothpick) and use it to apply the threadlocker on the screws.

DSC02088.jpg

DSC02091.jpg

Put the screws back in place using tweezers to avoid the natural fat from your fingers to contaminate the threadlocker.

DSC02092.jpg

Screw them back on using your screwdriver covered with scotch tape.

DSC02093.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

Turn the watch over and repeate with the back screw.

DSC02095.jpg

Voilà!

DSC02098.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

sconehead

Excellent tuto mate...really excellent... :clap:

So much so, I feel this deserves a sticky...;)

Member X

Awesome, no-one has done this before :clap:

One thing though - was the jewellers screwdriver not smaller than the front screws, risking damaging the 'notch' in the screws??

KBH

Thanks! It looks like a lot of effort went into this one.

cybee

I don't own a BR watch but it was nice to see how this watch is disassembled..Great job! :bcake:

Wiz

Thank you very much guys, hope it will help some other folks :bcake:

@Member X: For these screws I was supposed to use a 2.2 screwdriver, but instead I used a 2.0 with scotch tape. Someone with more experience than me would probably have gone with the 2.2, but I feel more confortable doing it this way.

Edited by wiz

greg_r

Great tutorial! :bcake:

oscarmadfish

tempts me to open my B@R and try and fix it

Member X

I need to take a homage version apart to paint the hands a diffierent colour, so this is very useful! :D

graman

:D

Bravo!

I've never seen one taken apart before!

dingle

very nice wiz :D

hoffie125

Great article!

Does anybody know where one can buy the screws that go into the face of the BR01? I have a replica BR01 and one of the screws fell out - I can't find replacements anywhere!

Wiz

The only source would be the dealer you got the watch from (trust me, I've tried!)

prestigewatchco

The bezel screw between 7+8 is not seated correctly. To avoid this when you refit the screws put all screws in and just start them off then tighten them in the same way as fitting a wheel on a car start with the one in the top right and then the furthest away from the last .don't finally tighten them until you get around to the 1st screw you started at then repeat the the tightening sequence .

Also a good tip is when you have you put screw in hole before you start to tighten it give it a turn backwards until you feel it click into position then tighten this will avoid cross threading the screw. This is a good tip for any screw you are fitting such as Panerai CG and Band screws

Member X

Great tips :lol:

Wiz
The bezel screw between 7+8 is not seated correctly. To avoid this when you refit the screws put all screws in and just start them off then tighten them in the same way as fitting a wheel on a car start with the one in the top right and then the furthest away from the last .don't finally tighten them until you get around to the 1st screw you started at then repeat the the tightening sequence .

Also a good tip is when you have you put screw in hole before you start to tighten it give it a turn backwards until you feel it click into position then tighten this will avoid cross threading the screw. This is a good tip for any screw you are fitting such as Panerai CG and Band screws

Actually this screw had a problem, I had to get a new set of screws.

Member X

Would it be possible to estimate how thick the dial was on this? 1mm? 2mm?

I am having ideas...

Wiz

I am having ideas...

Pretty thin actually. Max 0.5mm.

spboudart

Never saw this tuto before.

Excellent job you did there Wiz, congrat mate!

Member X

I am having ideas...

Pretty thin actually. Max 0.5mm.

Damn... That's any cunning plans for a dial conversion out the window then lol