Sign in to follow this  
KinCaidk

Kinky's boat project

KinCaidk

Hi Folks,

I just bought this old beauty.

Built in Sweden around 1965, solid mahogany (a bit of teak on the deck), powered by a 60 hp Johnson engine.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

With a little love it's gonna be kick-ass!!

Silverspeed

Great looking boat...i love these wooden boats

greg_r

looks good, if in need of a little TLC...

A bit big for the bath, though.... :bcake:

KinCaidk
Great looking boat...i love these wooden boats

Me too :bcake:

If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would've made fiberglass trees.

looks good, if in need of a little TLC...

A bit big for the bath, though.... ;)

Actually it needs new varnish, that's it :nana: no rot, no nothing :nana:

I live 120 metres from the sea, so that's my second bath :bcake:

RolexAddict

That's a great vintage style ! It looks like a Italian Riva. You should work on the wood, sand and put a good layer of clear marine varnish, also polish brass and cooper chandlery

congrats !

=================

Then, organize tours for selected people/VIP/showbizz on a local river with cockails and champagne (and coke for showbizzmen)

I will be your Representative for the French market :bcake:

Silverspeed

I bet if you take away the old varnish and apply a few layers of new varnish

you can have a mirror finish on that.....takes many hours to do but the result would be great

KinCaidk
That's a great vintage style ! It looks like a Italian Riva. You should work on the wood, sand and put a good layer of clear marine varnish, also polish brass and cooper chandlery

congrats !

=================

Then, organize tours for selected people/VIP/showbizz on a local river with cockails and champagne (and coke for showbizzmen)

I thought Riva too, when I saw this for sale :nana: Not quite as refined, but a step towards it :nana:

I am arranging a tour for VIPs from RWG ;)

You're french, so you bring the champage. Billecart Salmon, Louis Roederer, Moét.. you choose :bcake:

you can have a mirror finish on that.....takes many hours to do but the result would be great

My plan is to sand it down to raw wood and apply 8 or more layers of varnish. might oil the teak on the deck though, as it's always exposed to sunlight and a lot of wear.

Silverspeed

congrats !

=================

I thought Riva too, when I saw this for sale :nana: Not quite as refined, but a step towards it :nana:

I am arranging a tour for VIPs from RWG ;)

You're french, so you bring the champage. Billecart Salmon, Louis Roederer, Moét.. you choose :bcake:

My plan is to sand it down to raw wood and apply 8 or more layers of varnish. might oil the teak on the deck though, as it's always exposed to sunlight and a lot of wear.

you can use a chemical stripper or a heat gun to remove the old varnish and then sand it down

greg_r

So, the question is....

when is the planned invasion of Scotland, and do you need any help with the raping and pillaging? :bcake:

:bcake:

KinCaidk
you can use a chemical stripper or a heat gun to remove the old varnish and then sand it down

Thanks for the tip :nana: I would probably just have sanded it down if you haven't mentioned this :bcake: I'm a total noob!

So, the question is....

when is the planned invasion of Scotland, and do you need any help with the raping and pillaging? :bcake:

:nana:

tssssssssssssssssssk... Scotland? We're talking italy, then Miami!

greg_r
So, the question is....

tssssssssssssssssssk... Scotland? We're talking italy, then Miami!

LOL - not a traditionalist, then. Okay, I can live with that :nana:

KinCaidk

well, I guess you can call me tittiealist. :bcake:

greg_r

trailboss99

Oh Kinky, she is gorgeous! A real stunner mate.

Be very, very careful with a heat gun if you have never used one, very easy to burn the wood. You need to use a specific chemical stripper too as some will damage timber. Another option would be to have her soda blasted (like sand blasting but so gentle you don't even have to mask up glass).

If you want the best possible finish that will last a lifetime if cared for I can highly recommend Pelucid. This stuff is incredibly tough. That is the Aussie website for Por15 but they are US products and available world wide. There are quite a few products there that will be of value in the job ahead. A good read is recommended.

Col.

Luthier

Kinky, is there the bed?

Miami???

Ha.

Our hot Latinas will rip you apart.

Stay with Italy, it's safe.

Great boat!!!

Apply cherry finish, then polyurethane lacquer, it's tough.

AustinTech

Hell yeah! Every Viking needs a wooden boat.

Holla when you get to Miami, I know all the best places to eat, and when the women see me coming they say "AY, PAPI"

mariana.jpg

Problem is that the women can stay up ALL DAMN NIGHT dancing. I'm too big to dance for very long.

KinCaidk

she can rock my boat, any day!

KinCaidk

@ Col.,

I think I am going with Hempel varnish. And lots of it :facepalm:

I have to see this weekend what I come up with with regards to removing the old varnish.

Maybe I will just fix her up and sail her this summer and then give her the full treatment when the summer is over.

KBH

Kinky, I love it.....Although I've sworn off wooden boats forever. Nice, classic lines.

Unless you plan on spending two summers sanding you better get a heat gun and some scrapers, especially if it's got a lot of coats of old varnish. The trick with a heat gun it to take small areas and get it just to where it starts to bubble and then start scraping. Just try to get most, not all of the old varnish up. Use the sander for the final part. And that lapstrake hull is going to be even more challenging.

Another thing to consider is if the old finish is not gone to the point of staining into the wood, I'd try to save as much as possible. You'll be surprised at how nice you can get it without going down to bare wood.

This time next year we'll have a thread like JohnG's house. We'll call it the "Kinky's New Boat" thread. I wonder which one will be finished first? This thread is destined to be a classic years from now while you're still updating it. :facepalm:

dingle

A vintage boat, nice. Don't touch it.......... sell on RG and move to Miami with the money. Hot chics dig fellas with money :rofl:

AT and I will meet you there :facepalm:

dmisgod

kink m8, is it a rep boat ? ;)

good looking craft it is, but can she hold rough waters, ocean hurricans and such ?

sconehead

Lovely boat Kinky, it is the one you gave the link to in the SB the other night isn't it? I hope you haggled the price mate, it's the seafaring way...:Whistle:

By the way, I'd get in touch with Luth he may be able to help...didn't you notice, the dragons head is missing off the bow...;)

KinCaidk

So - I am currently ordering some varnish and oil for the boat.

On the hull I am using Hempel's Classic Varnish

On the Mahogany on deck I use Hempel's Diamond varnish

On the Teak on deck I use Hempel's Teak oil

the final question is the "bottom-paint" Don't know what it's called in english but it's the paint on the bottom of the boat to keep algae and nasty stuff from growing to the boat.

I am using a hempel product for this too but I am unsure of the color. - it will wither be Blue or White (leaning towards white)

Discuss :P

Ska

Kink that is one beautiful vessel!!

I love working with wood, (cue Dingleberry pun .......) :P

But seriously mate, just a little work will prove to be incredibly rewarding.

P.S definitely go with white over blue any day.... classic,

Silverspeed

I would keep the underside the same wood colour....and btw I would have thought it would be ready and floating by now :P