Sign in to follow this  
KinCaidk

Kinky's boat project

dingle

lookin' good kink!

:D

gran

Great looking boat indeed (and lots or work I know this after being raised by a fish crazy and wood boat owning father living along the Norwegian coast)

But the blue cover is not a winner

jkirke

The old wooden ones are SOOOOO classic. If they're refinished right, they look to be worth MILLIONS.

Beauty of a boat bro. Smooth sailing!!

KinCaidk

I want a white cover to match the white leather interior that my girlfriend is currently working on. :lol:

not this season though.

Brightlight

Mmm, solid mahogany! You could make some killer guitars out of that!

Incidentally, watch out with mahogany. I've done quite a bit of sanding of mahogany over the years, and a couple of years ago suddenly developed an allergy to the damn stuff (a Google showed this is quite common) and come out in red, itchy blotches. I now have to sand mahogany wearing gloves, a mask and my body covered up as much as possible, and shower immediately afterwards. What a pita!

Luthier
Mmm, solid mahogany! You could make some killer guitars out of that!

Incidentally, watch out with mahogany. I've done quite a bit of sanding of mahogany over the years, and a couple of years ago suddenly developed an allergy to the damn stuff (a Google showed this is quite common) and come out in red, itchy blotches. I now have to sand mahogany wearing gloves, a mask and my body covered up as much as possible, and shower immediately afterwards. What a pita!

BL, what'da ya do with mahogany? Are you another guitarbuilder here?

And - do you have Honduran?

@Kinky-Pinky - this boat is no longer yours, your team lost 0:2 !!!

So, it's mine!!!

:lol:

Member X

Very nice :)

I will expect a trip with some hot bikini-clad ladies should I ever make it over your way ;):lol:

JohnG

take LOTS of pics - I want to see the whole process, love threads like this, we should have more of them!

Congrats of a beautiful project!

trailboss99

Man she is beginning to look stunning!

A beautiful craft mate and you're doing a great job on bringing her back to life.

Hey John! :lol:

Col.

gran

I want a white cover to match the white leather interior that my girlfriend is currently working on. :)

not this season though.

Excellent :lol:

Brightlight
BL, what'da ya do with mahogany? Are you another guitarbuilder here?

And - do you have Honduran?

Sort of. I've been playing, repairing and building guitars for damn nearly 45 years. For the past ten years or so I have had a little business concentrating mainly on restoring vintage guitars, I spray only nitrocellulose lacquer and try to follow the correct vintage steps and processes. Unfortunately, about four years ago, my IT business got a couple of large contracts which meant I just did not have time for other than small repairs so the guitar business is more or less on hold at the moment. I will return to it eventually though.

Honduran mahogany? You are joking aren't you!!

Here are a couple of examples of my work.

1. A 1966 Rickenbacker 450/12. The neck had been thinned resulting in the head breaking off. Someone had unsuccessfully attempted to repair it with epoxy. The rest of the guitar had had the lacquer stripped and the maple was ingrained with filth. There was no alternative but to make a new neck from scratch, quite a challenge with that 12 machine headstock!

a. As it arrived -

rick04.jpg

b. the neck under construction -

lrbn21.jpg

c. The finished result after the body had been cleaned and repaired (someone had fitted different pickups at some stage) and sprayed in Fireglo nitro

ricky202.jpg

2. A 1961 SG Junior. The lacquer on this was almost nonexistent except under the scratchplate, which is how we identified the original colour!

a. The guitar stripped back to the wood and cleaned, all the holes wood filled ready for redrilling. A crack to the right of the jack socket was also repaired and filled -

sgj51.jpg

b. The finished guitar

sgj65.jpg

Member X

Very nice :lol:

We have some skilled peoples on here!

KinCaidk

Update:

This were done last night.

2nd layer of varnish applied (I'm using some 2-component stuff from Hempel. Tough stuff! Hempel Diamond Varnish )

2nd layer of tar/linseed oil applied under the floor boards.

2nd layer of bottom paint applied. (Mille Ultimate from Hempel)

a think layer of linseed oil has been applied to the inside of the boat where it wasn't varnished.

More teak oil has been applied to the teak details.

Today's projects:

3rd layer of varnish

additional repair layers of varnish on the hull (Hempel Classic Varnish)

Reassemble the engine with parts that I have rebuilt (it's damn hard to get spares for a 1964 Johnson Engine)

3rd layer of bottom paint (there's some left so I might aswell just use it all)

Convince my girlfriend to get started on making the white leather interior.

I'll take some more pics tonight.

KinCaidk
take LOTS of pics - I want to see the whole process, love threads like this, we should have more of them!

Congrats of a beautiful project!

I will mate ;) Thanks.

Btw - chances are that I will start a Kinky's house thread soon too... providing that the bank goes along with my ideas :)

Luthier

Very nice restoration job, BL!!!

About mahogany - I have no problem to buy it in local hardwood store - body blanks(22"X14"1,75"), necks blanks (4"X4"30"), and it's Honduran, not African. Figured maples, ofcourse, I buy from wood suppliers.

Here's a few of my latest babies:

03-21.jpg

05-19.jpg

07-21.jpg

And sexiest guitar in the World - THE BITCH!!!

02-30.jpg

07-20.jpg

My version of SG - I call it SGM:

02-31.jpg

D2.jpg

S7.jpg

010-14.jpg

And my favorite - LGM:

LGM-1.jpg

DSCF0002-2.jpg

Ska

Nice restorations Brightlight.

Ok at this point I suppose I should jump in as well. Old news for luthier but I too am a.. er.... luthier.

Here's my latest and a pic of me working on her she's most likely gonna have a set of Luthier's monster pickups in her if they're as good as he says they are (which I don't doubt given his reputation):

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

Brightlight

Beautiful work guys! I've built quite a few but I have to admit my heart lies in restoration. The pleasure of bringing back something like the 450/12 from the dead (it was not really an economic repair, more a labour of love, but then guitar work is not my main income!).

Here is my first, pic taken in 1969. Note the headstock, eat your heart out Ibanez, and the slide switches for the pickups which gave on/off/reverse polarity, copied unknowingly by Brian May!

mk1.jpg

and a more recent Tele style in ash -

IM000389.jpg

Ska

lovely grain - ash tops always look classic. especially in that tobacco burst. Gold hardware looks awesome!!!

Nice work mate.

Built my first guitar (a fretless, headless bass) when I was 15 at school, machined all the hardware from scrap brass block on the school mill - A lot of late evenings!! - Looked great but played like shite!

Since then if I'm not writing music or taking photos (or now chatting about watches) I'm building these puppies. What started out as a hobby is now turning slowly into a viable business.

Went in 50-50 with the father-in-law last summer on a proper workshop etc. (He's an electronics engineer so we've got some awesome things in the pipeline) and now we're on our way to NAMM 2011 with my first production run of 4 guitar designs.

The Seraph which you can see in the photos is a hardtail thru-necked double cutaway (I use the Schaller Hannes Bridge which has unbelievable sustain) and a neck volute.

The Spirit is more of an Ibanez RG style metal-orientated guitar. Still thru-neck, 2 Active Seymour Duncan blackouts and an Official Floyd-Rose Pro Tremolo. (Not a licensed one.)

Then there are chambered versions of each model with different pickups.

Its hopefully going to be a good year for the guitar!!!!

Keep up the amazing work guys!

JoeyB
Beautiful work guys!

I'm genuinely impressed by all 4 of your guy's work.

KinCaidk
and now we're on our way to NAMM 2011 with my first production run of 4 guitar designs.

I'll see you there, mate :lol:

Brightlight
lovely grain - ash tops always look classic. especially in that tobacco burst. Gold hardware looks awesome!!!

Nice work mate.

Built my first guitar (a fretless, headless bass) when I was 15 at school, machined all the hardware from scrap brass block on the school mill - A lot of late evenings!! - Looked great but played like shite!

Since then if I'm not writing music or taking photos (or now chatting about watches) I'm building these puppies. What started out as a hobby is now turning slowly into a viable business.

Went in 50-50 with the father-in-law last summer on a proper workshop etc. (He's an electronics engineer so we've got some awesome things in the pipeline) and now we're on our way to NAMM 2011 with my first production run of 4 guitar designs.

The Seraph which you can see in the photos is a hardtail thru-necked double cutaway (I use the Schaller Hannes Bridge which has unbelievable sustain) and a neck volute.

The Spirit is more of an Ibanez RG style metal-orientated guitar. Still thru-neck, 2 Active Seymour Duncan blackouts and an Official Floyd-Rose Pro Tremolo. (Not a licensed one.)

Then there are chambered versions of each model with different pickups.

Its hopefully going to be a good year for the guitar!!!!

Keep up the amazing work guys!

I did my first at school too, I didn't do woodwork but went to see the woodwork teacher with my plans and he agreed to help out of hours. He insisted I do everything by hand though, no power tools. Mine played OK until the neck started to bend when I was playing pro (I knew nothing of truss rods! Few people did in the 60s) and I had to do a quick repair, digging out the back of the neck and putting in a metal bar held in with plastic putty. It lasted a further ten years like that until it was nicked!

Talking of pickups, have you tried Bareknuckles handwound? All my own guitars bar one have them fitted now, I have yet to find better. I had a customer bring me a set (Mules - PAF equivalent) to fit in her Epi SG Korina. I had a little chuckle behind my hand at spending so much to upgrade an Epi but when I fitted them and plugged in they blew me away. Side by side with the 67 SG I owned at the time they were just incredible.

Good luck at Namm!

Edited by Brightlight

trailboss99

The skill and talent of you lot just blow me away! Sincerely.

That goes for the job you are doing on that boat too Kinky.

And your house John.

Col.

Luthier

Chris, great guitar, I told you that already. One think I didn't get is - 1/8" routing around pickups cavities. Some special mounting rings? And... active pickups?????? Wat???????????? It's soulless pickups, without any distinctive tone.

BT, love your Tele!!

I think we need Luthier's Section Number 9...

:thumbsup2:

Brightlight
Chris, great guitar, I told you that already. One think I didn't get is - 1/8" routing around pickups cavities. Some special mounting rings? And... active pickups?????? Wat???????????? It's soulless pickups, without any distinctive tone.

BT, love your Tele!!

I think we need Luthier's Section Number 9...

:thumbsup2:

+1

But actives are great for recording. I have a set of EMG's in a Tele and you can hold the guitar up to the amp (tube) and get NO noise. Also works better with studio effects due to wider frequency ranges.

Edited by Brightlight

Luthier

True. Especially if you have a wall of electronic devices and good sound engineer.