Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

Oh no I forgot to take off my watch before showering...

LightGeek

...or the "is my watch water resistant" thread.

For many centuries, man has asked the question: "Is my rep water resistant?" I struggled with that same question and bought a pressure tester a couple weeks ago. In my testing, just about all the reps failed at 4 ATM by either the caseback, crown, or crystal. I also had a spectacular crystal blow out after the test while it was sitting on the table.

Fast forward to today where I said "screw it" and just wore my Narikaa sourced GV Milgauss into the shower. Now I like hot, steaming showers and the watch probably didn't like it but at no time did it wince. All there is to show for it is a nice, clean watch. Half an hour later, no condensation has formed but we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Over the next weeks or so, I'm going to subject it to more common water submersion short of dropping it into the toilet and flushing.

DISCLAIMER: I no way endorse you to do the same. Do at your own risk. Before my "spur of the moment" shower, I lubricated the crown and caseback with Nyogel 760G (all I had nearby). Do not use Nyogel 760G without understanding it may swell certain types of gaskets.

Have fun, take risks, buy reps :) Next in this series, "Oh no I accidentally ran over my watch with my car..."

P.S. I choose the GV because I just love the way the light plays off the water and coating.

yga4usy8.jpg

nuqutuqe.jpg

vy9e6esa.jpg

HeavyKrush

You also forgot to take off your phone. Hope it's insured!

fatarms

Almost all of your threads are loopy as hell, I love it :lol:

myaz

Very brave you are. Unfortunately doesn't mean another rep of the same design would pass. Dang it.

Beautiful green hue on that last pic, you caught it just right. :thumbsup2:

LightGeek

Not half as loopy as your avatar :)

LightGeek

You also forgot to take off your phone. Hope it's insured!

I actually realized that after water starting trickling down the screen.

Previous week, my youngest took my phone and threw it into the bathtub. Having disassembled the iPhone 5 a week earlier, it was easy for me to do it again to dry it out. I believe the Tech21 Impact Band case contributed to the phone still working. http://www.tech21.uk.../iphone_5_Cases

fatarms

Not half as loopy as your avatar :)

It comes from this: :lol:

"It feels like somebody with a fever is yelling in my pants!"

jeffrx

I'm careful not to get my reps wet at all - not even 1 drop! I don't trust these things at all. I love them, but don't trust them.

flyr

Good luck with this one LightGeek! I built a Nalgene tester and tested all my reps before doing anything to them. 8 tested 8 FAIL at 3 atm, approx 45 psi. Managed to seal 6 by pressing crystal and greasing seals. The other two are a manual moonie,which wont see water and aBR02-92 that would need to have its internal bezel crown epoxied. Given these results I wont be showering with any untested reps!

LightGeek

Crazy tests are fun when it's not a $350 rep :) sometimes you just have do it -- over the edge.

Here's how I charge up for a lume shot. Photo at lowest level of 9 lumens. Max is 3700 lumens.

yhetetan.jpg

HeavyKrush
Crazy tests are fun when it's not a $350 rep :) sometimes you just have do it -- over the edge.

Here's how I charge up for a lume shot. Photo at lowest level of 9 lumens. Max is 3700 lumens.

yhetetan.jpg

Umm, that looks like a jet pack brother.

flyr

I guess the Children of the Night won't be bothering you, with that monster at hand!

P4GTR

yhetetan.jpg

Umm, that looks like a jet pack brother.

Or.. a lightsaber.. chainsaw.

Bash64

Love your posts, LG. And I want a lume charging station.

LightGeek
Love your posts, LG. And I want a lume charging station.

A wise man once said... "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

Mikester1200

Seeing all your posts I think you took in in the shower on purpose, if it broke it would give you a reason to buy 3 more reps ;)

LightGeek
Seeing all your posts I think you took in in the shower on purpose, if it broke it would give you a reason to buy 3 more reps ;)

Did my disclaimer tip you off? :)

Xebryus

Lol I'm more worried about the phone being in the shower there with ya buddy. All of Apples "wet strips" are exposed to the air. They have a tendency to even go off in your pocket on a humid day, let alone in a steamed up bathroom. Those pricks won't fix anything under warranty if those "water damage strips" have been set off. Just some food for thought

I wanna see this car thing!

Electron17

Well done, some really great topics and very good information. Nice to see someone pushing it to the edge. Have washed my reps under the tap without any problems. Only problem I ever had was with a gen Tag, I washed it without screwing in the crown properly and got a bit of water into it. Keep up the good work, always an interesting read. Regards, Jan

LightGeek
Lol I'm more worried about the phone being in the shower there with ya buddy. All of Apples "wet strips" are exposed to the air. They have a tendency to even go off in your pocket on a humid day, let alone in a steamed up bathroom. Those pricks won't fix anything under warranty if those "water damage strips" have been set off. Just some food for thought

With the way the case is, it's unlikely moisture would reach the indicator. Didn't see moisture when I disassembled it, but I didn't check the SIM card slot indicator dot.

Xebryus

With the way the case is, it's unlikely moisture would reach the indicator. Didn't see internal one go off when I disassembled it, but I didn't check the SIM card slot one.

I stand corrected if you're using a iPhone 5. I didn't realize the indicators were relocated better. I thought they were in the same spots (headphone jack and in the charging port)

I remember my gf had an issue with her 4s was having a problem, where it always thought something was in the headphone jack (never could listen to media) and she went to the apple store, where they saw one of the indicators go off. Denied her service despite it actually being a hardware issue rampant in that phone.

Long story short...stop taking nudies of yourself in the mirror and posting them in section 8

paulc

Greart thread and I Hope that the watch is okay today...3700 lumins..nice torch!

TheSav

Another crazy, amusing and informative thread. Glad you didn't include pics of yourself wearing it in the shower.

LightGeek
Another crazy, amusing and informative thread. Glad you didn't include pics of yourself wearing it in the shower.

If you look carefully in the reflection on the water droplets...

vonGluberschmidt

MOTHER OF GOD....

I want that flashlight.

details pls.

:)