Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

Whats going on with the lume on this sub dial?

SSTEEL

Check this sub dial in the link below.

http://www.chrono24.fi/rolex/dial-submariner--id2257521.htm?dosearch=false&manufacturerIds=221&maxAgeInDays=0&models=1&picnum=0&resultview=list&searchexplain=false&sortorder=0&tab=pics&urlSubpath=%2Frolex%2Fsubmariner--mod1.htm&watchTypes=Z

8575835802_107ec99288_o.png

The seller has listed it as mint (1) rating, but the lume looks weird.

I found another dial (below, listed as fine(2), and looks better than above) I'm very interested in the below one, but as usual, funds are tied up right now.

8574746165_cda8516d98_b.jpg

Arism

Can't seem to lift the whole post from TRF but here's the gist of it:

"One of the tell tale signs (or indeed effects) of age and therefore vintage Rolex watches (specifically sports watches) is the effect age and environmental influences have on the colour of the dial, the hour markers and the hands.

Over time, a black dial can become a chocolate colour.

Over time, white tritium luminous material on the dial and hands can become cream, yellow, tan, brown and eventually dark brown to black which are all collectively known as a patina or tonal coloration.

This raises a number of issues:

(a) How does patina occur?

Well it is not entirely clear to me, but it seems that it is just a chemical reaction in the tritium material that can occur with varying exposure to UV rays, however some say that their watches have spent years in the sun and the tritium lume whiter than those watches that have spent most of their life kept in a box.

On balance I would tend to believe that UV (the sun's) rays are instrumental as part of the aging and process of tritium lume acquring a cream-yellow-brown patina.

(b) Is patina desirable?

Well this depends on your personal tastes and preferences on a subjective level. I think that many would find pale white-cream the most acceptable in the aging of tritium lume, however once the lume goes beyond yellow...i.e. a tan-brown colour then many consider the lume has gone past its best days.

However even if one has say tan lume, there is a lot to be said for a vintage watch original dial and hands. After all we are talking about a vintage timepiece.

and the source if you're interested: Patina & Aging

Edited by Arism

SSTEEL

Aha, I see now, thanks for the info my friend.

trailboss99

Dial 1 is still not mint to me.

SSTEEL

That's my thinking to Col.