Sign in to follow this  
deadlock23

Hi, yet another newbie

deadlock23

Hi,

I just joined the forum, hope to learn a lot about the replica world. I have actually had my eye set on a TAG Carrera for a long long time, they retail for about $2500 or so, give or take. About a year back I found some site online which sold replica watches. They claimed it was identical to the original, I was excited and paid $150 for the watch with the box to match the set.

After waiting for about 2 months, I contacted my credit card company and filed a dispute, American Express was excellent and they refunded the money instantly. I guess the China based company could not prove or did not want to prove they shipped it to me, but I did get the watch, for free, about a month after my dispute to my surprise.

Ever since that experience I stayed away from replica web sites. Recently though I have been craving the Rolex GMT Master II, I will most likely get the real Rolex eventually, but I wanted to learn as much as possible about the GMT replica and where I can get my hands on one.....anyways, sorry for the long post, just eager I guess.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse deadlock :rolleyes:

a lot of good info here for newbies. Take a look around, sit back and enjoy!

trailboss99

Long post is fine mate.

Read a lot, use the search button and ask lots of questions before you buy anything.

Col.

deadlock23

Col,

I am a veteran forum user :rolleyes:

I used to moderate at Team Integra, is this forum based out of the UK? If so, would I be able to get some of the dealers to ship to the US?

Long post is fine mate.

Read a lot, use the search button and ask lots of questions before you buy anything.

Col.

KBH

The forum is based in UK but the membership is worldwide. Most of the listed dealers ship direct from the watch manufacturers in China and Thailand. I believe most, if not all will guaranty delivery to the US, unless it is specified otherwise in the sales post.

deadlock23

Thanks.......

greg_r

Welcome, deadlock. Feel free to yell if you need any help :lol:

dmisgod

ahoi DL, where ye'from m8 ?

have fun and start your collecton fever, youve come to the right place

ebzen02

This used to be a US base forum --at least to me-- until the Brits took over.. :damn_the_colonials:

But, I think they are doing a mighty fine job!!

Fiddo

Hello! :clap:

Welcome!

deadlock23

So I got in touch with Mary, she sent me some close up pictures of the GMT Master II 50th anniversary, and I have been looking at the genuine and the rep for hours.....I noticed some differences. Mainly in the shape of the digit 4 on the outer bezel.

A question that comes up, why do some dealers have pictures of the Rolex watches, and the movement looks like it has the Rolex crown on the inside. Is that a genuine marking? The pictures Mary sent me have a gold colored movement, not sure which model, no markings except, 25 Jewels.

Also, I know some models of the Rolex have the laser etching, does the genuine GMT have that as well?

AllergyDoc

The rep factories often mark up the movements to make them look more genuine, which is pretty silly in a Rolex rep. To my knowledge, the only Rolex that lacks the laser etching is the Milgauss. I could be wrong, though. It's been known to happen. :lol: Or so say my kids.

KBH

Rolex has used a couple of different 4's on the bezel. I don't know which is correct for your watch, though.

The clone 2836-2 with the fake Rolex bridges is an overpriced piece of crap. Many problems reported with that one. The Swiss eta as well as most of the standard clone Eta movements are gold with the 25 jewel markings.

Member X
Rolex has used a couple of different 4's on the bezel. I don't know which is correct for your watch, though.

The clone 2836-2 with the fake Rolex bridges is an overpriced piece of crap. Many problems reported with that one. The Swiss eta as well as most of the standard clone Eta movements are gold with the 25 jewel markings.

Is that the 'rolex 3135 clone' that bits fall off of and stop the rotor swirling? lol

dmisgod

to my knowledge, yachties also lack the 6 hr. laser etching

deadlock23

Hey guys, I am about to buy the GMT Master II from Mary, she recommended to go with the eta 2836 movement.

The one thing I noticed is some dealers have the 50th anniversary GMT Master II with the hologram back, and some have it with the clean SS back, which is the authentic look? I want this watch to be as close as possible to the Gen......

thanks

greg_r

The hologram is just a sticker anyhow - it'll peel off after a while if your watch has it. To be honest I have no clue whether the gen shipped with the hologram sticker.

deadlock23

Thanks Greg, not sure what to do, maybe have it shipped to be separately.

What do you guys think of the asian 3186?

I am looking at this rep...from Tony.

GMT Master II Asian 3186 V Serials

What does V Serials mean?

Edited by deadlock23

KBH

That Asian 3186 is not worth the extra money. Quite a few problems have been reported with it and nobody's going to see it anyway. I'd recommend either get the the Eta 2836-2 or the clone model.

deadlock23
That Asian 3186 is not worth the extra money. Quite a few problems have been reported with it and nobody's going to see it anyway. I'd recommend either get the the Eta 2836-2 or the clone model.

I just got an email back from Mary, she said her swiss eta and the 3186 is the same price.

When you say clone, you mean the asian 2836-2 clone of the swiss eta movement?

From my understanding all the 2836-2 were swiss movements assembled in asia, is that not true?

Anyone else know if the hologram is genuine or not?

KBH

The Swiss Eta is a movement that is actually made by the Swiss company that is part of the Swatch group. These movements have been off patent for a few years and are being copied by several other manufacturers, mostly in China. The clones are made in China by Chinese companies. Some Eta movements, or at least parts, are made in several other countries than Switzerland but are made of much higher quality Swiss standards. Whether or not Eta actually manufactures a complete movement in China has been debated many times and I really don't know what the answer is. Some say yes and some say no, only parts.

The 3186 is a bastardized Asian 21j movement that has been modified to slightly resemble a Rolex movement. It's not going to fool anyone who is actually familiar with Rolex, though. Those fake bridges have a tendency to come loose and cause problems.

Rolex no longer uses holograms on the backs of their watches. I believe they stopped either last year or the year before. Forget about the hologram, it will wear off in a couple of months anyway. I'm sure you can find sheets of fake holograms. I've even seen them on eBay at times. Mary can probably get them for you, but it would be a waste of money. I really don't think many gen owners would try to save them.

greg_r

I just got an email back from Mary, she said her swiss eta and the 3186 is the same price.

When you say clone, you mean the asian 2836-2 clone of the swiss eta movement?

From my understanding all the 2836-2 were swiss movements assembled in asia, is that not true?

Anyone else know if the hologram is genuine or not?

Avoid the 3186. Either of the other two will be fine.

As I said earlier, the hologram is a sticker. It's a sticker on the gen too. Just peel the sucker off and get on with your life :(

iabounty

Hello and welcome to RWG! :beer:

fakemaster

Welcome to RWG.

deadlock23

So is $294 plus $26 for shipping an ok deal for a Swiss ETA 2836-2 "from a better" factory as Mary said. She can get cheaper versions but I can't tell the difference.