Sign in to follow this  
deadlock23

Hi, yet another newbie

deadlock23
The Swiss Eta is a movement that is actually made by the Swiss company that is part of the Swatch group. These movements have been off patent for a few years and are being copied by several other manufacturers, mostly in China. The clones are made in China by Chinese companies. Some Eta movements, or at least parts, are made in several other countries than Switzerland but are made of much higher quality Swiss standards. Whether or not Eta actually manufactures a complete movement in China has been debated many times and I really don't know what the answer is. Some say yes and some say no, only parts.

The 3186 is a bastardized Asian 21j movement that has been modified to slightly resemble a Rolex movement. It's not going to fool anyone who is actually familiar with Rolex, though. Those fake bridges have a tendency to come loose and cause problems.

Rolex no longer uses holograms on the backs of their watches. I believe they stopped either last year or the year before. Forget about the hologram, it will wear off in a couple of months anyway. I'm sure you can find sheets of fake holograms. I've even seen them on eBay at times. Mary can probably get them for you, but it would be a waste of money. I really don't think many gen owners would try to save them.

Thanks for the info.

Mary can indeed get them, but a co worker has the GMT and I confirmed that the new ceramic model at least does not have anything on the back.

KBH
So is $294 plus $26 for shipping an ok deal for a Swiss ETA 2836-2 "from a better" factory as Mary said. She can get cheaper versions but I can't tell the difference.

$300 for the better quality GMT with Swiss Eta sounds about right to me.

deadlock23
$300 for the better quality GMT with Swiss Eta sounds about right to me.

Well I just placed the order, I am excited now, how it looks as good if not better in person as it does in the pictures. Thanks for the input guys.