Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

What Lame Excuses have you given your wife so to get another watch related purchase?

Kcore

Guys, as I posted in another thread, all I've had to do is obsess about a particular watch for a few days. Then I have the wife accompany me to the AD while I try a gen on. I then discuss price with the sales associate. When my wife hears the price of a gen, she's very cool with me buying a rep. Spending way, way less money, and it shuts me up. That is until next time :>)

I'll share a good story with ya. I own a few good gens. My last gen purchase was a Rolex, TT datejust, 116233 with a Jubilee barcelet, white dial, 36mm. I pulled this purchase off by getting my dad involved. I was turning 45, so my dad calls my wife and explains to her about a family tradition we have. he tells her when a man in our family turns 45, he cah either have an affair with another woman or get a Rolex to mark this milestone. Guess what, I got my Rolex :)

_DC_

like it or not... and I'm talking about the gen... it's like a toy watch (light, tv shaped, simple - unlike Rolex crown which stands out)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, many would disagree with you though. I'd argue that a design as copied as that of a Rolex is far LESS likely to stand out than the unique design of a Nautilus. But we can't all agree on everything all the time :P

Gerald would be turning in his grave right now if he heard what you were saying, haha!

DC

Realism

like it or not... and I'm talking about the gen... it's like a toy watch (light, tv shaped, simple - unlike Rolex crown which stands out)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, many would disagree with you though. I'd argue that a design as copied as that of a Rolex is far LESS likely to stand out than the unique design of a Nautilus. But we can't all agree on everything all the time :P

Gerald would be turning in his grave right now if he heard what you were saying, haha!

DC

well i do own the gen nautilus and that was comments from more than 1 chick - i just smiled and walked away

_DC_

well i do own the gen nautilus and that was comments from more than 1 chick - i just smiled and walked away

Well if I didn't hate you before I do now, ya lucky b*stard! If its not doing it for you then you can always send it to me though ya know, I'll PM my address details :)

DC

SSTEEL

Guys, as I posted in another thread, all I've had to do is obsess about a particular watch for a few days. Then I have the wife accompany me to the AD while I try a gen on. I then discuss price with the sales associate. When my wife hears the price of a gen, she's very cool with me buying a rep. Spending way, way less money, and it shuts me up. That is until next time :>)

I'll share a good story with ya. I own a few good gens. My last gen purchase was a Rolex, TT datejust, 116233 with a Jubilee barcelet, white dial, 36mm. I pulled this purchase off by getting my dad involved. I was turning 45, so my dad calls my wife and explains to her about a family tradition we have. he tells her when a man in our family turns 45, he cah either have an affair with another woman or get a Rolex to mark this milestone. Guess what, I got my Rolex :)

Brilliant, thanks for sharing my friend.:)

fuba

she left last week.

Because of your purchases?

ATEspo

No wife here, just a girlfriend who lives with me, so she can't say much of anything about my purchases (same goes for me when she shows up with a new pair of heals or a new bag). I have taken her into the AD's and she sees the prices for the authentic watches and she encourages my rep purchases. It helps that usually when I have a new watch inbound I always sell/trade one, so the box doesn't grow much anymore...but I am not worried. I do have some friends that let their wife control their life including their purchases with their own money... :huh:

Baldrick

Ask my wife's permission...tell her....or hide it from her...?...........doesn't come naturally to me....never has...never will :B):

Realism

Well if I didn't hate you before I do now, ya lucky b*stard! If its not doing it for you then you can always send it to me though ya know, I'll PM my address details :)

DC

that's why chicks doesn't know anything but diamonds :boxedin:

gB.

No excuses needed for the wife, thank goodness. I don't know how I would explain all the coin spent across reps and gens over the past few years. She stays out of my hobby luckily, and only comments occasionally on watches she likes, or ones that she doesn't.

:)

WhiteChocolateJr

I'm buying heaps of watches before I get hitched...I can just imagine>>>"Everytime you buy another watch, I buy another handbag" :duel:

A man I can relate to. My wedding is in less than two weeks...and I've filled a watch box since I joined this site. Once I HAVE the watches, it'll just be a matter of swapping out one for another. ;)

Garyun

My wife has her hobbies..... I have my hobbies. Just be happy it's not excessive drinking/gambling/drugs.

fatarms

"The money I got from the watch(es) I sold will pay for this one." :lol:

Visioneer

I'm not going to put my family in financial jeopardy she knows it so I don't feel the need to ask about buying a rep.

Thang

My wife supports my hobby as long as I can sell one for one :D

dalboy

My missus is as good as gold...she dosn't mind..

black263

I have a similar tradition. As we approached our 45th anniversary, I thought should I start collecting rep watches, or go for a 40-something mistress. I went for the mistress, and now I am living in my new flat, I can have both.

greg_r

Ask my wife's permission...tell her....or hide it from her...?...........doesn't come naturally to me....never has...never will :B):

+ several million.

slaughterer

Sorry to bring in Idiotopedia, but I used to deal with this problem all the time with my stereo equipment:

"Wife Acceptance Factor, Wife Approval Factor, or Wife Appeal Factor[1] (WAF), are design elements that increase the likelihood a wife will approve the purchase of expensive consumer electronics products such as high-fidelity loudspeakers, home theatersystems and personal computers. Stylish, compact, unobtrusive forms and appealing colors are commonly considered WAF.[2] The term is a tongue-in-cheek play on electronics jargon such as "form factor" and "power factor" and derives from the gender stereotypethat men are predisposed to appreciate gadgetry and performance criteria whereas women must be wooed by visual and aesthetic factors.

When in doubt, just say: "My watches are like your shoes: do you have just one pair of shoes?"

DR3M3L

"We have almost 9 months left to save money......."

And then I canceled my order :facepalm: Where almost killed!

SSTEEL

SOme great replies guys, thanks so much for sharing. My wife does indeed support my hobby, and to be honest, I am quite proud of her too for allowing me to venture into my old past time, watches :)

Martinjogs

Funny you should mention this! Package came from postie via the next door neighbour just now, wife says, "you've not bought another watch?" Perceptive she is...I thought maybe bluff it out with the, it was a steal ploy, which it was to me coming from a M2M sale. Anyway, I ignored her and opened my pressie.

Showed it to the aforementioned wife, "woo, that's a nice watch, I like that one!"

Vindicated, I just have to choose watches that meet her approval, a Rolex milgauss on SS by the way.

dasselin

I agree on that point. And the wife doesn’t mind. ;)

Painter6

New watches just start appearing around the house. When she notices a new one, she just rolls her eyes at me.

She really can't say much, she spends more on her own crap(shoes clothes makeup hair).

Baldrick
whereas women must be wooed by visual and aesthetic factors.

Yeah....try wooing her with the aesthetic appeal of something like this.....( from my '70s gear )......t'aint B&O ;)

ROTEL STACK.jpg